Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just give up, there's no way a decent map can be made THAT fast.

While I'm not confident about my entry, at least the contest is a good way to get feedback.
Neo Chaotikal created a map titled Rush Job in only 60 minutes which ended up scoring an 8.00 in an '06 contest, so that's not really a good recommendation.

Yeah, Volcanic Desolation Zone is almost done. I just have to add the rings, fix a small Colormap error, and then it will be at least complete enough for submission.

I'm going to end up putting some more stuff in it anyways.

Also, does submissions end tonight or tomorrow morning? If it ends tonight, then i'm going to have to haul ass (I get home at 4:00, this is going to take up most of the night anyways ._.)

Actually, there have been some pretty decent maps that were made last minute. You can easily whip up a good Match level in 24 hours.
I can confirm this from personal experience. I recommend it to be relatively simple, though, so you can get a fleshed out product without worrying about missing too much detail (for instance, GFZ match maps, though it's been done for millenniums over).

It sounds like you're already close to done though, so good luck.

Neo Chaotikal created a map titled Rush Job in only 60 minutes which ended up scoring an 8.00 in an '06 contest, so that's not really a good recommendation.

Icicle Falls Zone was made from scratch to almost the exact way it is now in one night. There were a few critical bugfixes afterward, but for all intents and purposes, it took less than six hours to design start to finish. I made that map to prove I could design a simple map with gameplay that works after getting worked up about the design process of Twisted Turmoil.

For a multiplayer map, you can work really fast if you already know what your map should look like and if its a simple concept. Then you can focus on balance and thing placement rather than still trying to improvise.

So far we're up to 13 Multiplayer and 4 Singleplayer maps. About 9.5 hours remaining. The other topic has been updated.

Only 4 SP maps opposed to 13 MP maps? Aww... I was really looking forward to the SP Division. Oh well, I'll just see what they all have in store. (I mean both MP and SP)

Heh heh, I do believe that the maps are going to be awesome; It's just that there's such a big difference in numbers between the two. :P

EDIT: With ''two'' I mean the divisions ya know. ;P

Last edited:
I added a countdown timer to the voting topic. I figured it'd be a nice touch and would help our chronologically challenged friends remember how much time they've got left until the submissions period ends.

I added a countdown timer to the voting topic. I figured it'd be a nice touch and would help our chronologically challenged friends remember how much time they've got left until the submissions period ends.

I like that idea. Maybe it should be done more often.

I have a cool idea: use the mapcredits field in the level headers to identify the author of a map in the multiplayer pack.

I'd rather not, it just covers up the screen when the map first starts and it might make people who like to vote unbiased by author unhappy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back