Aesthetically realistic platforming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarbo the Black Sheep

Furry Composer
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see this technique often in games. It's one of the things I liked about Toy Story 2. I just thought it was so neat that the detail fit perfectly into place and doubled up flawlessly as the actual terrain. Do you guys think this technique should be used more often?

I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about either, unless you mean platforming that would technically make sense in the real world... is there an example you can give use that more people would have been likely to play?

JEV3 said:
I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about either, unless you mean platforming that would technically make sense in the real world... is there an example you can give use that more people would have been likely to play?
He means something like a book being used as a barrier or ramp of sorts.

It looks nice in games that use it, but I happen to like the jumping challenges that floating platforms provide in a lot of games, and there isn't always a way to make those realistic (maybe a huge fan holds them up? water/lava geysers?) without, ironically, making it less realistic.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, think Zim's Base Zone. That particular area didn't fit well with deathmatch, but it's the same idea.

Having a realistic setting is nice I guess, but I prefer pulling out all the stops visually over creating something believable.

Another example would be mirror's edge. Although the platforming is realistic, but see it in another's perspective.

glaber said:
We have too much actual reality in our virtual reality already.

I disagree. Seeing a platformer take place in a world with a somewhat skewed sense and perspective on reality (Such as Toy Story, which was mentioned previously) could prove to be a somewhat interesting asthetic style. Realism doesn't have to be boring, it can be just as thought compelling and appealing as surrealism when it's done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back