Sonic Adventure 2, What are your true thoughts on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SA2's story is absolutely ingenious (*coff* "as far as Sonic games go," one may say, but honestly I think it's ingenious in general.) Not one Sonic game has rivaled it in story yet -- SA2 did away with the "good guy/bad guy" dynamic, showing both sides as acting mutually in their own interests, blurring the line between good and bad, introducing subtle political elements in what the characters do. All this, in the middle of a race against time to rule the world -- the introduction of a larger-power government GUN -- and the backstory of an angsty mad scientist who (seemingly) created Shadow after the plight of his forever-ill daughter. And it featured, imo, one of the most badass moments in all of Sonic.

Some other guy wrote the script for SA2, then in Shadow, Iizuka wrote it alone. I heard Shadow's story is pretty weak in comparison, introducing elements like ALIEN RACES and FAKE MEMORIES boohoo ;(

It's too bad, though. I thought it was a mistake for SA2 to go this path, because every game afterwards followed the disastrous formula of "epic story, then form the levels around the story." SA2 did a lot of this by designing half of the levels in the hollow, bland nature of Space Colony ARK. The following games did worse, introducing bad level design in the process. It's really too bad since, story-wise and visually, SA2 is mad polished. Thankfully, this is a rut that Sonic Team's visibly getting out of.

Not one Sonic game has rivaled it in story yet

Gamma begs to differ.

Easily the best part of he stories in that game, even WITH the terrible acting by all the other characters. Gamma definitely had the best tale. And while I'm still takign about it, the gameplay was quite fun too. Shame the level designs in SA2 couldn't have been like Gamma's missions.

Eh, the stilted diologue and especially Tails's boneheaded admission of the fake emerald bring this scene down a notch, though I imagine that the Japanese script is probably a bit more impressive.

Still, the scene itself is pretty exciting, especially for a Sonic the Hedgehog storyline. I don't think there's any other game where Dr. Eggman actually holds somebody hostage with a gun pointed at their head! I've heard rumors that SA2's overall darker and more mature nature is partly why Sonic Team made Sonic Heroes so lighthearted and vacuously inoffensive by comparison.

Wombatwarlord777 said:
Still, the scene itself is pretty exciting, especially for a Sonic the Hedgehog storyline.

The reason I like it so much is because, if it weren't for the deus ex mach-- *ahem* Chaos Control, Eggman WOULD. HAVE. KILLED. SONIC! At least, that was the closest and most blunt he's ever come to doing that, I think.

I think that the Sonic/Shadow stages and Tails/Eggman stages were the beginning of the end for Sonic Team's level design.

It was more like the beginning of the end of the fanbase´s own personality, if Sonic Adventure 2 had been released in around 2006 for example, it would rather have been:

¨Sonic Adventure 2 sucks, the gameplay is only good as Sonic, we have an all-new Sonic recollor, Tails no longer goes fast as Sonic, he instead goes on a vehicle SLOWLY, why does Tails have to go slow, why can´t he go fast if he is in a Sonic game??? but that´s not all, he now uses weapons because he can´t fight! oh and now you have a Knuckles exploration mode and a character that does not fit at all in Sonic series (Rouge) there are too-humanistic characters wich barely interpretate a role and at least 70% of the bosses are Gundam Wing ripoff plus this comepleteley annoying item-getting stuff wich is just unnecesary stuff wich we didn´t want back, each one of those 6 characters (plus the other 6 characters of the game) get annoying pretty fast since they all are exactly the same, and guess what? We have kart racing! can´t you get an original idea SEGA??? so basically, buy this game if you want to see Sonic´s fail on-live.¨ -IGN

READ: All of this post above is how it would have been if it had been released a shorter while ago and this is not how I would rate the game, it is just my opinion of what would happen, so respect it as I will try respect yours.

Last edited:
Sonnarkku said:
Tails no longer goes fast as Sonic, he instead goes on a vehicle SLOWLY, why does Tails have to go slow, why can´t he go fast if he is in a Sonic game???
It bugs me when people criticize a Sonic game just because there's something they aren't used to. Tails has to use a vehicle because he needs to plow his way through. What, were you expecting a fox turning into a ball to break down steel doors of a government base?

Sonnarkku said:
...but that´s not all, he now uses weapons because he can´t fight!
I don't get what you're talking about. You can't expect a little kid fox to tackle a bunch of powerful robots when all he can do is roll and whack things with his tails.

Sonnarkku said:
... and a character that does not fit at all in Sonic series (Rouge)...
She's a giant, talking animal, she wants Chaos Emeralds, and she has strange personality quirks. How does that not fit in with smart-talking hedgehogs and stubborn echidnas?

Sonnarkku said:
...there are too-humanistic characters wich barely interpretate a role...
Every character in the series is humanistic and part of the story. You're talking about the minor characters, which aren't meant to be important in the first place.

Sonnarkku said:
...and at least 70% of the bosses are Gundam Wing ripoff...
What, and you want to make a boss fight against a giant high-tech robot that isn't the slightest bit unoriginal?

Sonnarkku said:
...get annoying pretty fast since they all are exactly the same...
Exactly the same? How? I'm pretty sure that Sonic is a much different person than Amy is.

Sonnarkku said:
can´t you get an original idea SEGA???
There aren't many instances of kart racing games before this one.¨

Don´t ask me, ask the IGNorants, they have been pretty much been saying stupid things like the ones I used in my sample review.

Umm... So yeah, I think you kinda misunderstood it a little, the post I made up there, it is of how it would have been reviewed if it had been released in 2006, my opinion of the game is totally different I based my whole post on all of the stupid things people complains of. Still, thanks for taking the time for making a post that shows how many stupid points people can get to have with Sonic games (the ones I made in my sample review).

Having said that, I´m not amused that these are the percentages on people´s opinions:

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles: Is said to be Awesome by 97%/internet but only 40% of common people say so.

Sonic the Hedgehog next gen: Awful (85%internet) (10% common people)

(Yes, those are pretty close to the actual percentages)

The reason I like it so much is because, if it weren't for the deus ex mach-- *ahem* Chaos Control, Eggman WOULD. HAVE. KILLED. SONIC! At least, that was the closest and most blunt he's ever come to doing that, I think.

Someone needs to watch the metal sonic scene in Sonic OVA. :O

But the Sonic OVA isn't cano-- wait. Sonic has no storyline consistency. Scratch that point.

Still, I'd say SA2 was closer to that than the OVA.

Most amazing story ever for a Sonic game, Shadow was an AWESOME bad guy back in that game, the Chao Garden added huge replayability, you sometimes felt like you were watching an action movie with how much happens, some of the coolest cheesy lines up to date, and things actually seemed like a TREAT.

Such as:

Sonic would have been killed if it wasn't for the Chaos Control.
Maria DIED to humans.
Eggman treatend to murder Amy with a gun. He's DANGEROUS here.
Tails actually shot down Eggman, him lieing down on the ground beat up.

Things like that. Sonic and Shadow also pull some of the coolest stunts in the game, revolutionary for it's time too. Hanging on to a rocket, then jumping down when you're above the clouds, skating down a ventilation shaft with a piece of iron? Freaking amazing. It also has some AMAZING music, and just fun lil' addons like a GOOD Sonic Kartracing minigame. Ironic, that the minigame in SA2 beats the entire game Sonic Drift by far. The game also had Ryan Drummond voicing Sonic, which to my opinion is the best Sonic's voice could ever be.

All the things I disliked were...

Somewhat more alternative paths to take. There could've been added less linear paths.
Some of the stages, like most of Knuckles' and Rouge's emerald hunts. Bleh. Beats Big anytime of the day, though. The amount is even worse.
No adventure fields. This one could've really blasted off awesomely with communication with humans and running around in cities and forests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back