Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you can allways hear other songs to get inspirations...? And if that doesn't work, you can have my brain recharger, I'm not using it at the moment :3

Yeah, but the inspiration I need is to make something original, everything was coming up for, in regards to Snowcap Nimbus in particular, was a complete rip-off.

Just popping in to say I'm back to making the music. I've been working on Spacewalk Zone Act 1 and started redoing Gritty Columns Zone cause it wasn't working out. Expect one out in, oh, 3-4 days?

I was playing it some more and got to Spacewalk Zone, I have to say, that was surprisingly an interesting 'plot twist' in the little story there is.

Glad to get an update on your progress! I'm really eager to hear what you come up with next; the more I listen to what you have done so far, the more I like it.

Last edited:
Spacewalk 2? Beautiful? More like "not as ugly as it used to be, but still too reliant on overused textures that can be seen in too many other levels anyway". It's also much too long, and a lot of parts are tedious and boring.

By the way, Fawfulfan, could you give us some clarification if you are actually working on TP or not? I can totally understand if college is too much work to do SRB2 stuff, I'd just like to be sure.

Well, I meant to keep it a secret, but I guess there's no real point to it, so I'm just going to go ahead and say it.

I've had far more time to work on Tortured Planet than I originally thought I would. As a result, v9.0 is going to have significantly more than just new music. In fact, every level is being meticulously polished, optimized, and tweaked. There aren't any new paths or similarly obvious changes, but there will be countless minor to moderate improvements just about anywhere you look.

Expect tons of eliminated bugs.
Expect a few design nuisances to be lessened or removed, (for instance, steep staircases that played havoc with the MFE camera have been widened).
Expect dramatic optimization (I've shaved a few MB off the size of the file with no real loss of content, but this may be offset by all the new OGG files).
Expect loads of texture alignment and texture changes.
Expect a bit of new scenery here and there.
Expect the Tortured Archives to play a little differently (the levels are optimized but otherwise still look and play exactly like the v1.0 versions, and when you complete the levels you will be sent back to AHZ instead of the title screen).
Expect lots of new minor secrets, such as hidden powerup monitors.

This is what I have done so far, and I intend to keep doing more until Charybdizs finishes the soundtrack. So the answer is yes, I have absolutely been working on Tortured Planet. v9.0 will be a fairly big leap even beyond the cool new music tracks.

Hopefully the node bugs will be fixed, too. It sucks not being either node 0 or 1 and then going into the Spacewalk zones, flip gravity, die and then be forced to wait until someone either finishes the stage or until everyone game overs. Hate being stuck where I cannot operate a freaking switch needed to continue, especially at the beginning of Act 1 of Spacewalk. (Then again, I should be playing this in single player... But playing with more people is fun this way.)

Other than that, you have came a long way with this. I really do look forward to your next release. I would give you my review of it, but I am too busy playing this mod to even write one. =P

Last edited:
Really didn't say it was your responsibility... I guess I was pointing out the obvious...? *shot*

I guess it is safe to assume that the bug has already been reported (for SRB2, not Tortured Planet) and is currently being worked on. Still though, you might want to work on the beginning part of Spacewalk Act 1 when there is time. Maybe an alternate path would help those who get stuck at the beginning.

Fawfulfan, this fixes will include those I said before?
Time to complain.
In that stair section where the dark quicksand rises in GC2, if you can't reach the stairs and try to survive the quicksand, you'll get stuck and the only way of getting out of there is to die intentionally. I do hate that.

Last edited:
It can be compared to the spike pit on Mystic Cave, on Sonic 2. You fall on it, but the only way of getting out of it is to die by my own.

There's a difference. You die almost instantaneously, unless you struggle, in which case you die a little slower. It's not quite the same as being trapped, because rings can't save you.

There's a difference. You die almost instantaneously, unless you struggle, in which case you die a little slower. It's not quite the same as being trapped, because rings can't save you.

I don't think he's talking about the speed of death.. but how irritating it can be to stuck in a death-only situation.

I have to agree with his point :/

Okay, I think it's time I resolve this issue about node errors for everyone. The reason for this problem is a bug in the Trigger Each Time Linedef Executor. For some reason, this linedef only works for players in nodes 0 or 1. But for some effects in the game, the only way for them to work properly is if Each Time is used, as opposed to Continuously or Once. I avoid Each Time whenever I can, but sometimes that is not possible.

So I am sorry to tell you that until this bug in Each Time gets fixed by the devs (I think it is already in Bug Reports, and I will put it there if it is not), we're just going to have to live with the fact that some people will be unable to trigger some effects in Coop Mode. So please stop badgering me about it.

EDIT: I have a possible idea to get around this bug, but it will be quite labor-intensive.

Last edited:
Okay, I think it's time I resolve this issue about node errors for everyone. The reason for this problem is a bug in the Trigger Each Time Linedef Executor. For some reason, this linedef only works for players in nodes 0 or 1. But for some effects in the game, the only way for them to work properly is if Each Time is used, as opposed to Continuously or Once. I avoid Each Time whenever I can, but sometimes that is not possible.
That bug has been very well-known for quite some time, and if it's not fixed already, it was probably declared unfixable.

Yes, but that drastically reduces the appeal of this mod for use in Coop.

Anyway, I think it's time for me to eat my words. After all this time defensively insisting that this bug can't be fixed, I may be on the verge of fixing it. Practically all of the Each Time triggers in Tortured Planet have been removed, and the effects reconfigured to use Continuous triggers instead. A few of the Each Time triggers were completely impossible to get rid of, but none of these effects has to be triggered to advance. Most of them are just sound effects.

But not all node errors occur in bad levels. True, Spacewalk Zone is the worst offender, but I have also discovered node errors in ECZ, DDZ, and LGZ. Besides, nothing would stop you from still skipping stuff. if you want to skip a level you don't like in Coop, that's your choice, but you shouldn't be forced to do so by broken effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back