Sonic Classic Collection Hits the DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
DS cartridges are measured in megabits, not bytes. The largest size I have seen is 512Mb, or only 64MB. The Sega CD version, even with music *completely* removed, is 116MB. So no, it would not fit. At all. Heck, I was wrong in saying it would fit even with the music compressed.
The Sega CD version is entirely uncompressed. The graphics and gameplay data in Sonic CD are about as complicated as the data in the Genesis games, but the Genesis games are only a meg or two because they're heavily compressed. There are also the intro and ending videos, which are also uncompressed. Video compression has come a LONG way since the early 90s. I've played plenty of DS games with FMV intros far more impressive than Sonic CD's, and they don't seem to be having any issue storing the game as well.

This isn't saying it wouldn't be kinda difficult for them to fit it all in, but writing it off as impossible is just wrong. If they really wanted to they could definitely do it. The reality is that they don't really want to.

There's isn't enough content to make me want the game. Portability is nice, but I still don't find it to be better than the other collections.

Smells like a good idea, seeing as though JenesisDS is smelly poo and picodrive has no sound.
But at the same time I'm pretty comfortable using Gensoid on my G1...

The largest size I have seen is 512Mb, or only 64MB.

You should have done a bit more research than just looking at your own ROM dumps. I know of several games that are distributed on 128 MB ROM chips, Chrono Trigger DS and Kirby Super Star Ultra are two fine examples. I haven't seen anything larger, but I have no reason to believe even that is the upper limit. I own a flash card capable of running games from flash memory in the gigabyte range. Mine happens to max out at 4 GB, but only because it doesn't support SDHC.

Remember, we're not dealing with games that execute in place anymore. DS games are stored on relatively slow ROMs and code needs to be loaded into RAM before it can do anything. As you can see, the only practical limitation now is the amount of RAM the DS has. I'd like to avoid groundless speculation, but I see no reason Sonic CD couldn't run on the DS, provided they port it rather than emulate the CD hardware.

Or, far more likely, they took a screenshot of Knuckles gameplay and then pasted Sonic into the screenshot to make it obviously a Sonic game for those kids that didn't know.

That doesn't bode well for the quality of the port.
4150565748_c1e714cd4f_m.jpg

Exactly, Mystic. Take a good look at the screenshot. What is Sonic doing and where is he doing it? Standing still. In mid-fight with the MHZ Boss. Last I checked, that's impossible.

I don't trust these screenshots...
They just look like normal Screenshots, but stretched to a 256X192 Size. (And Sonic pasted in) Plus, It looks likes like Knuckles has "a" Lives.

I'd still buy it, as I was waiting for a TRUE portable version of the Genesis games since Sonic the Hedgehog on the GBA.

I don't trust these screenshots...
They just look like normal Screenshots, but stretched to a 256X192 Size. (And Sonic pasted in) Plus, It looks likes like Knuckles has "a" Lives.

I'd still buy it, as I was waiting for a TRUE portable version of the Genesis games since Sonic the Hedgehog on the GBA.
Nope, it's 4. Here's a high-zoom scan from Nintendo Power I made myself.
scan0194.jpg

Now before anyone starts talking about SegaSonic, they mean Tails, not Ray.
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/3964/scan0194.jpg

4150565748_c1e714cd4f_m.jpg

Exactly, Mystic. Take a good look at the screenshot. What is Sonic doing and where is he doing it? Standing still. In mid-fight with the MHZ Boss. Last I checked, that's impossible.

Actually I had a similiar discussion of this picture and the impossibility to stand still in that fight...and I have stood in one spot, spin dashed and took pictures of standing during the boss fight *and I mean the part where the screen is moving fast* However I'm just proving its possible, not that there is a multiplayer, so yea...no misunderstandings can happen now.

11460_1092193483932_1799381061_182638_7487241_s.jpg

11460_1092193003920_1799381061_182636_596494_s.jpg

Unfortunately the size of these pictures are small, so if anyone knows how to, can they tell me how to make them bigger?

Last edited:
How did you even get them that small?
and what are you using?

1. the pictures are small because of where I'm posting them. ( I should be using ...that one place...was it called image shack? instead of what I'm using) ._.

2. as for what I'm using that is quite an Open-ended question. if you mean how I got Pictures of that kind of quality it is because I was currently playing S3&K on an emulator *only to play, because my comp had a problem at the time...* not to mention with the emulator in question I can take pictures.

Why would we need this when we got Sonic Mega Collection? I mean, that game has:
Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles
Blue Spheres
Dr. Robotnick's Mean Bean Machine
Sonic Spinball
Flicky
Ristar

And not to mention Sonic Gems Collection, which includes:
Sonic The Fighters
Sonic CD
Sonic R
Sonic 2 (Game Gear)
Sonic Spinball (Game Gear)
Sonic Triple Trouble
Tails' Adventures
Tails Sky Patrol
Vectorman
Vectorman 2

And Sonic Classic Collection is just Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Knuckles? I'll pass.

Both of those games require a big console and a T.V. Which are pretty hard to transport if you wanted to play any of the games on it. What Sonic Classic Collection is doing is making it that you can play some great games (even if there isn't as many on the other two) and make it easily portable and playable anywhere as long as you carry around a smaller console like the D.S which can fit into your pocket.

1. the pictures are small because of where I'm posting them. ( I should be using ...that one place...was it called image shack? instead of what I'm using) ._.

2. as for what I'm using that is quite an Open-ended question. if you mean how I got Pictures of that kind of quality it is because I was currently playing S3&K on an emulator *only to play, because my comp had a problem at the time...* not to mention with the emulator in question I can take pictures.

Are you posting thumbnails? Post the whole image.

Are you posting thumbnails? Post the whole image.

That is the whole image. its just small, that's all it is; its the whole pic as I took it, its just small and hard to see...*if that's what you mean. at the moment I think Thumbnails = parts of an image*

Oh, I thought your source was that small. Never occured to me it was the image host

And not to mention Sonic Gems Collection, which includes:
Sonic The Fighters
Sonic CD
Sonic R
Sonic 2 (Game Gear)
Sonic Spinball (Game Gear)
Sonic Triple Trouble
Tails' Adventures
Tails Sky Patrol
Vectorman
Vectorman 2

And Sonic Classic Collection is just Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Knuckles? I'll pass.
Quality over quantity.
Out of all the games on Gems collection, only 3 have received a decent amount of Praise, that being CD and the Vectorman series.

I think Sega is making a good move mainly including the main 4 genesis games instead of releasing a bunch of random Game Gear games that not many people remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back