Iron Turret Zone - f_ironturret.wad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred

This is a standalone release of the CTF stage I entered for the September/October 2009 Original Level Design Contest. The stage has been renamed back to its usual self, and incorporated into 2.0's map rotation.

This release fixes most of the nagging faults with the original version:
  • A single flag texture has been added to each base.
  • "?" Monitors have been replaced with WRM and SRMs.
  • Weapon panel and ammo placement has been rebalanced.
  • Turrets are now less irritating to reach than they used to be.
  • The tunnels branching out from the central underground room are now easily visible.
For those unfamiliar with the map, this is a reimagining of the Iron Turret Zone found in pretty much every version of SRB2 with CTF mode before 2.0. Much like the original, the map is very straightforward and connects the two bases almost directly, the only obstacle being a large field to cross under enemy fire. The most notable differences are that the stage is now set during nighttime, some extra sections have been added and a whole new underground route now links the two bases directly.

Screenshots:

Edit: It won the contest! So you know it's really really really good.

(It's not really really really good. But it plays okay.)

Attachments

• f_ironturret.zip
    32.2 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:
I would like to see CTFFLG01 and CTFFLG04 close to the base like the original did. That made it even easier to see what base was what.

Last edited:
I thought about that, but I also liked how the map looked as it is. The major problem was that you could not tell which base was which from low enough angles (read: from the underground), and now you can, though not very easily.

Plus, you could argue that this looks closer to the original original map, before bases had any team indication save for the flag =P

If you care at all, I've released a bugfix version which finally seems to seal the player within the walls of the level. x_x

By the way, I'd really like to get some feedback, particularly from the same people who filed complaints on the contest version. Have your issues been resolved? Is it any better? Not really?

I like this map, because the "Iron Turret2 map is a good map for CTF! Do you want to make other mapsof 1.09.4 like this map?

I like this level. I liked the level originally, but I liked how the new stuff you added make it feel like an actual update, not just a remake.

Iron Turret Returns for default stage rotation plz.

But really, you took the map that few people liked (Which was more of a guilty pleasure, since people KNEW it was bad), and bumped it up to a good, respectable map. Kudos, Chaotikal.

Well D00D we DO have space for four more CTF stages... and I think this one can fit in greatfully. This stage is so good, it deserves a place in the Hall Of Fame.

Last edited:
While I do think it's a good map, I wouldn't consider any sort of remake to be Hall of Fame material. Also, I was even kinda iffy about putting it in the OLDC due to the "Must be your own work" rule. The main reason I included it was because it at least looked pretty decent, and I had accepted some maps that were clear Sapphire Falls knockoffs in past contests.

I really don't want to encourage people to just update existing old maps. While Neo's Iron Turret update was pretty good, people need to make their own levels and try new things. I don't want to see the OLDC turn into people just remaking old maps for good scores. Please, do not submit anything like this to the OLDC ever again. If you want to put it here in Releases, that's fine, but lets keep the OLDC to new content from now on.

While I do think it's a good map, I wouldn't consider any sort of remake to be Hall of Fame material. Also, I was even kinda iffy about putting it in the OLDC due to the "Must be your own work" rule. The main reason I included it was because it at least looked pretty decent, and I had accepted some maps that were clear Sapphire Falls knockoffs in past contests.

I really don't want to encourage people to just update existing old maps. While Neo's Iron Turret update was pretty good, people need to make their own levels and try new things. I don't want to see the OLDC turn into people just remaking old maps for good scores. Please, do not submit anything like this to the OLDC ever again. If you want to put it here in Releases, that's fine, but lets keep the OLDC to new content from now on.
Wow. Well, uh, broken-down points:

- It... was "my own work". I created a new level and started drawing sectors and what not until I got what you see here. How does that not account as personal work?

- I don't think this is Hall of Fame material or anything like it. This was a rushed reimagining of an existing level, blatantly so, and doesn't change all that much to be called innovative. I think it sorta looks pretty, but the level design is still barebones (though this was completely intentional -- it was supposed to play like Iron Turret AND it was rushed).

- You must be able to understand that logically, as more and more maps are made, the probability of two of them being close alike increases. Knowing this, how can you call someone out on making "knockoffs" of existing levels? I'll give you that this map WAS intended to be a knockoff, and no, I won't be doing anything similar any time soon, but hell, the architecture's so simple that maybe if I changed a bit of the sector shapes and texture work no one would even notice the similarities.

- What would you call a knockoff, in a broad sense of the word? Was Shuffle's Greenflower Match Zone a knockoff? It had the river, the cave and even the house, and was called Greenflower Match, but it was entirely done from scratch, and it showed, looking really nothing like the original level. I think the semantics of the stage actively advertising itself as the return of Iron Turret is getting to you, and you only find a problem in it being a knockoff because it blatantly advertises itself as such.

Finally patched up the wall bug for good. Sorry for all the bug fix releases. I hope I never have to touch this wad again.

Seriously, Neo, I take it you missed 123 Runite's Sapphire Falls knock-off.
Maybe I did! Care to explain?

123 Runite made a Sapphire Falls knock off? I remember Z-Taimat (or whatever his name is) making one, but not 123 Runite.

Well okay then. I don't suppose I have to point out the blatant difference between this stage and that one, do I?

(Hint: look at the topic title)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back