SRB2 Juicebox: A New Minecraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
there's still a chat room?! Last time I visited it it was completly empty, absolutely no one there.

Time for me to bite the bullet here.

First off, I apologize for the bumpy road that the last Juicebox server was. It started out with great potential, but soon, due to the poor mod choice, the server host problems, and the unexpected security problems, it died a tragic death at an early age.

But Juicebox isn't dead. Like the phoenix rises from the black ashes, so the Juicebox rises from the grave, burning with a fierce flame.

I've been spending a lot of time working on it over the past few months, coming up with ideas, selecting mods, tweaking things, and getting everything to work nicely together without the redundancy that we had last time. I wanted to make a huge update post, with pictures, and samples of what is going to be in the next Juicebox, but I'm going to take the lead that someone here taught recently - don't promise things you can't necessarily deliver on, and don't do it before it's almost ready.

So instead of a flashy post with pictures and titlebars and juicy info, I'm going to do this: tell you a few important things about how the next Juicebox will differ from the old Juicebox, and a few things that the next Juicebox will have, come rain or thunder, that I would cancel it before launching without.

Things you can expect in Juicebox 2: The Seven Flavors

A whole different set of mods.

Quite simply, I didn't like the effect many of the mods we had last time had on the gameplay. Namely, Industrial Craft 2, and Mystcraft. I've completely done away with Industrial Craft 2 in favor of a much better series of tech mods that is coded better, much more balanced, and even much more visually pleasing than the dusty white of IC2. I remember the havoc quantum armor and gravity suits unleashed upon the old balance, and I'm not willing to have that happen again.

On the contrary, Mystcraft is a very well done mod. The issue last juicebox, was that link books were readily available, making travel absolutely unnecessary. I've never been a fan of using the Nether to Overworld block ratio to travel, and linkbooks were even worse. Both linkbooks and the Nether ratio make more creative forms of overworld travel, such as trains, canals, and highways obsolete. You can expect to NOT see linkbooks as a public feature, and have nether travel limited to a few specific portals. On the other hand, you can still expect to see Mystcraft heavily used for server activities and features. It will just be largely used by admins to make cool things for you.
The single most powerful attack in the game is the bite of the Hydra from the Twilight Forest. It's not a cheap attack at all, as you have plenty of warning. The hydra charges at while it slavers at the jaw. To a player wearing diamond armor, it is an instakill. To a player wearing quantum armor, the attack literally does 0 hearts of damage. That's stupidly overpowered armor, for something that has no disadvantages whatsoever.

Much better performance than Juicebox 1

There was a lot of problems with lag last time. A number of people who wanted to join in weren't even able to because it was so bad. A number of different reasons went around for exactly what was causing it, but I was right from the beginning, it was Redpower 2 that was the source of all of the framerate lag. It has been removed, and I've been able to find better alternate mods for most of the features that will be missed from it.

Varied world generation unlike previously seen

2013-04-14_01.58.44.png

2013-06-05_23.55.12.png

madtree.png

2013-06-26_23.36.13.png

Kingdom%20Valley.png

New methods of crafting and smelting

There's going to be some significant changes to both, with a whole new system of metallurgy replacing the boring one of vanilla minecraft. I won't say any more right now.

Smartmoving.

Smartmoving.

Smartmoving.

An intricate and very useful hub dimension

I mentioned the use of Mystcraft, and this will be a big one. The hub world will serve as a place for new players to spawn, a place for players to access world portals, view in depth tutorials, trade, and shop at the shady business under the name of "Charyb the Cheat's Blapck Market", where players can trade a special currency to receive otherwise unavailable items and accessories. For a small fee...

Building contests

In an effort to encourage more creative builds of all sorts, there will be bimonthly or monthly themes which the players can choose to enter their buildings or creations into, and in the event of being chosen by the panel of judges, receive a rather large and useful prize.

That's all I'll say for now.

To business:

I need help.

You see, I'm not good at dealing with minutiae. A lot of what putting this together requires, is making lists of numbers, assigning them out to mods in organized fashions, and making repetitive minor tweaks and edits. It's taking me a lot longer than it seems it should even take me in the first place. I had been sticking, working on it for weeks now, but when I was most of the way done, I realized I made a small calculation error and now have to begin the whole task over again. I'm certainly not happy about it, and am dreading having to do it all over again right.

My mind doesn't work well with small repetitive tasks, and it is really hard for me to keep concentration and do it in an organized fashion, especially when there are so many small factors involved.

So if anyone reliable:
#1: Works fast with number crunching and similar minutiae.
#2: Wants to see Juicebox up and running faster.
#3: Has a mind to help.
Just shoot me a PM and we can get right on it.

Last edited:
I want to say this looks good, but I hate the idea of limited or restricted nether portals.

I want to say this looks good, but I hate the idea of limited or restricted nether portals.

Yeah, I'd have to say restricting something that's in the vanilla game itself seems kind of offputting. I'd understand if it was something that put a strain on the server if it was free for use like Mystcraft and its realms, but not something like nether portals.

Nether portals are shamefully overpowered, it's as simple as that. I have no other solution, as I can't seem to find a mod which changes the nether to overworld ratio. A central portal might allow for a more interesting base of operations in the Nether, anyways.

Also, don't forget, it's not like the vanilla game itself is actually well made or anything. Just because something is in vanilla doesn't mean it's good. I'm very well aware that it may be offputting, because people dislike change, but if it makes the game more balanced in the end, it's totally worth it, is it not?

Well, Smartmoving won me. Seriously, if I could, I'd make a town exclusively for Smartmoving use in the next Juicebox server. Granted, I likely can as long as I know what resources I can use, but it's a matter of "How much time do I want to spend on this mind-numbing task?"

Speaking of mind-numbing, I wish I could help, Charyb. Sadly, I failed Geometry last semester, and barely passed Algrebra. In short, I hope someone's capable.

It's not mind numbing if it's fun, right? :)

Also, our dear fellow Warpshade offered his help, and thanks to him, we're progressing REALLY fast. He even used a little programming savvy to make the whole task a little easier and more efficient.

Also yes, Smartmoving is FUN. I just recently realized you can hang on climbable ceilings and fire weapons while hanging.

:o
Am I hearing that you're nerfing the lame and overpowered forms of fast travel?
Could this possibly incentivize the MOST coolest (and actually PRACTICAL) train station ever???
:D :D :D

It's not mind numbing if it's fun, right? :)

Also yes, Smartmoving is FUN. I just recently realized you can hang on climbable ceilings and fire weapons while hanging.

Eh, good point.

Also, WELP! If I do build it, arena to be made as well. it's official.

Speaking of, any other weapons from the new mods slipping in that'll help with the game? I'm all for the vanilla weapons, though something better than just bows would be awesome, especially for a thing as cool as Smartmoving.

I could also do some sort of custom place where you could smartmove.

Or a system to go through the map using smartmove. That could be fun too.

Else i could do a city. With some smartmoving in it.

Last edited:
That's so cool how he jumps to the beat at 1:00.

Also yeah, we just talked about this on Steam the other day, remember? Your video says the dev build fixed it... but here I am using build #569, with solely Forge, Smartmoving, and Modular Powersuits, and it refuses to animate right.

2013-07-10_12.05.33.png

(just to tease you)

bKFqcDa.jpg

:3

That's my setup in the Magic Launcher:

minecraft 1.5.2
minecraftforge-universal-1.5.2-7.8.0.734.zip
Player API universal 1.1.zip
Render Player API 1.3.zip
Smart Moving Universal for ML or Forge 14.0
ModularPowersuits-0.7.1-555 or 569.jar

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back