S o n i c h e e e r r o o o e s

Savin' the stage for the heroes.. bluh bleh! Cheesy Sonic media at it's finest, it's Sonic Heroes!

Did you play Sonic Heroes? Did you pirate it you sick f-

Did you like it? Love it? Hate it? Or do you have no memories whatsoever?

And did you collect all of those Chaos Emeralds?

Last edited:
Sonic Heroes was kinda both Adventure 3 in a way (as it was the direct sequel to Adventure 2 story-wise, especially with Team Dark and the emphasis on the number 3 as the main game's Team gimmick) and the closest thing to a classic game design-wise (having a set of levels with 2 acts + one "boss" per zones).

The big problems with that game is the "slipperiness" of the engine (compared to the previous Adventure games, even on the Gamecube) and the fact that you have to do the game 4 times + do every special stages to see the ending of the game is quite jarring...

I'll probably like the game in a one-shot as Team Sonic (or with two teams) then let it go, considering it finished.

absolutely loved it,i firstly played it on PC,but then i got the GameCube version,which i fully completed it

absolutely loved it,i firstly played it on PC,but then i got the GameCube version,which i fully completed it
Is the PC version laggy? I remember having troubles running it at a stable framerate before...

Sonic Heroes?

In my opinion it is one of the most underrated Sonic Games.

I think at the time people didn't like it at the time because it was very different from the Sonic Adventure Games they knew and loved. Less story focussed and more focussed on a unique gameplay. However I think the gameplay surpassed the one presented in the Adventure Series if you didn't seek to do much exploration and wanted more solid action gameplay.

As much as I would have loved to dash through these levels using Sonic alone, I've gotta appreciate the unique take to change characters depending on the challenges presented on the fly as I have matured.

Regarding the music which has been described as cheesy, it is a Sonic game and I actually like it. Quite catchy.

Having to finish the same levels 4 times to unlock the true ending really is annoying indeed.

S O N I C H E R O E S W A S [Censored due to the Sonic Fandom hating any opinion less than the word "good".]

I T H O U G H T I T W A S [Censored due to the Sonic Fandom hating any opinion less than the word "good".]

Overall Sonic Heroes was an okay game, AT BEST.

The game-play was [Censored].

OKAY! IT WAS AN OK GAME! JEEZ!

*Sonic Fan-boy threatening me: That's better...*

This was a joke. I think Sonic Heroes was ok.

I've said this before on various chat rooms, but Sonic Heroes is the game that made me give up on the franchise for good. SA1/2 were mediocre, but Heroes was a nose-dive in quality that caused me never to buy 3D Sonic again. There are clearly so many ideas that were involved in the creation of the game that just were completely ignored and never panned out, and the most awful parts were emphasized over and over.

For instance, the team gameplay was an interesting concept, but in practical reality never created any gameplay variety because the game automatically switched you to the correct option a lot of the time, and there was never any question of what the game wanted you to do. It was just pure rock paper scissors gameplay that never changed. The game never presented you with a new hazard and asked you how to approach it. It was the same, repetitive pattern all the way through. To add insult to injury, most of the characters have individual abilities that were never used. For instance, I remember messing with Espio alone and being able to use stealth and sneak around and assassinate enemies. The game had tons of gameplay variety coded, but completely unused by the game itself.

The game was also a glitchy mess, even more so than SA1/2. The special stages are the most egregious example, where you'd get caught on a polygon seam and stop dead for no reason. Another particularly stupid example I remember was dying on a grind rail because I accelerated too fast and just fell off.

I sold Sonic Heroes to a Gamestop after playing it for $6 and to this day I think I ripped them off.

Buying games is a waste of money. It's super important that I take the money to buy physically things like food or drinks, buying house and yeah, tickets to go somewhere. I never use money to buy things, that just takes money and make me able to play some computer game, and then in the end you got nothing but experienced something you won't need for life. So I've decided I only stick with free games around, no longer if it's money and drains my money that I can use for life things

For instance, the team gameplay was an interesting concept, but in practical reality never created any gameplay variety because the game automatically switched you to the correct option a lot of the time, and there was never any question of what the game wanted you to do. It was just pure rock paper scissors gameplay that never changed. The game never presented you with a new hazard and asked you how to approach it. It was the same, repetitive pattern all the way through.

Ah yes, my memory must've been a bit clouded. I remeber those automatic switches. Valid point that the game is doing too much of the lifting for the player. I wasn't too disappointed by the lack of challenge and linearity, it was a fun experience for me. I was a lot younger however when this game came out and didn't know that many titles I could compare it against.

To add insult to injury, most of the characters have individual abilities that were never used. For instance, I remember messing with Espio alone and being able to use stealth and sneak around and assassinate enemies. The game had tons of gameplay variety coded, but completely unused by the game itself.

I remember these weird seemingly useless mechanics unfitting to the gameplay. I ended up not using them. So I completely forgot to factor them in while judging this game. It is always a pity to see these incomplete rudiments...

Maybe I should boot up this game again to get some reality check...

Buying games is a waste of money. It's super important that I take the money to buy physically things like food or drinks, buying house and yeah, tickets to go somewhere. I never use money to buy things, that just takes money and make me able to play some computer game, and then in the end you got nothing but experienced something you won't need for life. So I've decided I only stick with free games around, no longer if it's money and drains my money that I can use for life things

While I have to agree with you, that you should be careful on how to spend your money, I think the value entertainment has to you is individual. I know there are people out there spending way too much on it.

But if you can afford a house and nourishment you don't have to skrimper too much in my opinion. It greatly depends on your income though how much buying a game hurts you...

Your general life advice doesn't really add to this topic, does it?

Last edited:
You shouldn't advocate for piracy on a public forum...

On the subject of Sonic Heroes, it should've been more like Sonic Classic Heroes because character switching is better than formation switching.

This game also got Xbox and PS2 ports right? Those weren't working that well compared to the Gamecube one.

This game also got Xbox and PS2 ports right? Those weren't working that well compared to the Gamecube one.

Yeah, the GC version (imo) is the definitive way to play Sonic Heroes.

I was always under the impression that the Xbox version is fine, though I haven't actually played it. I have played Shadow the Hedgehog on Xbox though. Apparently both Heroes and Shadow on Xbox are missing some shader effects from GC, but nobody ever elaborates on what they mean by that. On the plus side, Xbox has higher-quality video files than any other version.

The PS2 version is slower and buggier than the others and downright unplayable sometimes.

That PC port indeed has performance issues on modern PCs which is a real shame. It also needs to be modded to fix a few missing graphics and stuff. Some people just end up emulating the GC version instead as it's easier than dealing with all those issues.

GC is the best version of the game, hands down. While Sonic Heroes was designed as a multiplatform game from the start, it's clear that GameCube was the lead platform.

I played it on the Gamecube as a kid. It was the first Sonic game that I owned.

I preferred it at first over Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 at the time for three reasons. First, the perception of greater character variety. Second, I found it easier to control. Lastly, the presentation greatly appealed to me.

To this day I believe that the UI design and overall presentation are some of the best in the franchise, but when It wasn't long before I gave SA and SA2 another chance and came to prefer them over Heroes for their movement, level design, and narratives.

I wish people would mod the PC version with stuff like being able to use each character independently (aka no forcing formations) and remove every floating screen and formation changing barriers to let some liberties for the player.

Also being able to only have 2 completed playthrough to get to the end (instead of having to do all 4).

Even at the age I played Heroes I realized it's controls and physics felt pretty awful. While I enjoyed the goofy story and cast of characters (especially Chaotix) and loved the idea of the teams I was so easily frustrated by the times that I was fighting the game itself. After my memory card (PS2) died when I was one A from getting all A ranks I never came back to the game.

Going based off of what else I thought at the time, I'll add that as someone who grew up on Sonic 3 and Lost Vikings I was disappointed that it wasn't the Sonic Vikings game I wanted it to be... but then again as someone that missed out on SA and SA2, I still had plenty of fun with it when I wasn't really mad at the game for plunging me into a pit yet again. To this day it has some of the most memorable experiences I can remember from a Sonic game, and the age at which I played it had a lot to do with it but I do think there was a lot of potential in the levels and characters. Unlocking the final story might be one of my favorite gaming memories growing up.

So I have a nostalgic fondness for the game, I personally think it was better than SA2. I don't think it was a trainwreck but I'd probably say even overlooking its control/camera/physics issues it's a very middling modern Sonic game... this is coming from someone that actually really liked Unleashed and Secret Rings, so much as I prefer the genesis games and Mania I do like some of the modern games as well.

Going based off of what else I thought at the time, I'll add that as someone who grew up on Sonic 3 and Lost Vikings I was disappointed that it wasn't the Sonic Vikings game I wanted it to be...
Isn't Lost Vikings more or less a platform puzzle game? I don't think it would've worked that well considering how Sonic was about speed.

On a side note I would add that Sonic Heroes had one of the best narration in the Modern Sonic serie because it started with a really light hearted story
but at the end it got much more serious
which is how I think a Sonic game's story should be (take notes Lost World and Forces).

Perhaps it may not have worked, but as a kid it was pretty easy to picture a faster paced Lost Vikings game, especially if you had the option to fly or glide with one of the others in tow for periods of time but eventually were forced to split up. Besides, Sonic CD and Knuckles Chaotix were a little less straightforward speed games, former having exploration play a bigger role and the latter had a weird physics gimmick take over the entire game...

Then again I'm not sure if anyone has ever really pulled off the tag-team mechanic as well as Lost Vikings. Even Trine has you change on the fly. I'm honestly hard pressed to think of another game with tag-team platforming. Okamiden and Spirit Tracks are the only ones I can think of and I feel like those don't quite count since the tag team sections aren't usually very well integrated with the rest of the gameplay (ST was much better than Okamiden at least).

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back