Resource icon

[Open Assets] The Momentum Mod 1.0

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
I can only imagine what the logic behind letting upwards slopes affect your speed but not downward slopes was,
That's not what happens in vanilla. Speed _is_ affected by downward slopes, but the way friction works in SRB2 means you don't maintain speed above your running cap on the ground for very long.

I gotta say, this is a fun lua. I expected to be falling into pits every few seconds or so, but it seems relatively well-thought out.

Alright! I think you guys will find this update very interesting.

Version 7
  • Fixed speedcap staying raised even after losing momentum
  • Tails flight has been modified to reflect that of Sonic 3's flight mechanics; Tails' horizontal speed will now be more forcefully restricted when moving upward, but those restrictions will always be lifted when moving downward
  • Knuckles and Fang's momentum cuts when activating/deactivating their abilities have now been removed

Since the scope of this wad has increased a little bit, I've updated the title to match.

an issue i came across in thz2 is that on the conveyors, sonic will get an absurd ammount of speed by just running on them, and will rocket off uncontrollably from them.

---------- Post added at 02:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 AM ----------

Other then that, this is one of those mods that really should just be a part of the base game, it makes sonic actually worth playing (online) as opposed to someone like metal or fang due to the speed you can get with the thok.

an issue i came across in thz2 is that on the conveyors, sonic will get an absurd ammount of speed by just running on them, and will rocket off uncontrollably from them.
Sounds like the old behavior from the final demo series to me.

This issue was fixed a few updates ago; try redownloading.

Actually, in the specific instance that you showed, no, it does not defeat the purpose of spinning. The purpose of spinning in the Classics is to increase your speed while going down a slope, and decrease it when going up one, or even while just on flat ground. So, spinning isn't simply about sacrificing control for speed, but you also need to know when's the best time to start rolling. In the GIF, of course running would give you more speed, because you're not going down a downwards slope.

Last edited:
Bug spotted: I updated to the latest version, and while playing frozen hillside, I found that the ice appears to have the same momentum bug as conveyors.

Actually, in the specific instance that you showed, no, it does not defeat the purpose of spinning. The purpose of spinning in the Classics is to increase your speed while going down a slope, and decrease it when going up one, or even while just on flat ground. So, spinning isn't simply about sacrificing control for speed, but you also need to know when's the best time to start rolling. In the GIF, of course running would give you more speed, because you're not going down a downwards slope.

Ah. My instinct is that the same setup in the classic games (a spring next to a slope) would launch Sonic higher in ball form, but if I'm completely wrong then ignore me.

Version 8
  • Some momentum can now be preserved underwater
  • Added momentum scaling for the jumpthok ability
  • Reworked Tails flight momentum
  • Tails now uses hold-fly
  • Fixed momentum being increased beyond current movespeed when running on ice sectors
  • Fixed a momentum bug for Knuckles and Fang when entering/exiting from their abilities while large or small

This will likely be my last update for now, assuming that no new bugs come to surface.

This might be a bit nit-picky, but being able to increase your speed just by jumping repeatedly on flat ground is a bit silly, although kinda fun.

g1jWvY7.gif

The player character appears to gain momentum every time they jump, and I'm wondering if this has something to do with ground friction. I can look into it and apply momentum cuts to cancel it out if needed.

Version 9
  • Slight momentum cut on landing to prevent speed boosts while bunny-hopping
  • Thok momentum scaling reverted to static thrust amount (Jumpthok ability retains the momentum scaling feature)
  • Thok actionspd changed to 50 (from 45)
  • Spindash minimum charge amount raised by 50%

This mod is beautiful. I didn't know you did these things (besides contributing to 85% of the OST)!

Last edited:
So this mod is making thok really slow? Please buff the speed again. I found it really odd that the thok doesn't actually make you faster, it's the same speed as Sonic's run it feels like, making thok not look like it does anything. And jumps that look like I should be able to make with thok... i cant make because THOK DOESN'T WORK LIKE SOME SORT OF AIRDASH / AIRBOOST, YOU JUST MAKE A SOUND. YOUR AERIAL MOMENTUM IS THE SAME AS THOK, SO THOK DOESNT...

uh... just buff thok sorry if i sound stupid, people like to say i'm a dumbss alot. I just found it extremely weird that thok didn't like multiply my aerial speed by 2.
tl;dr thok doesn't go anywhere therefore it's not fun and also useless.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm also not very pleased about how the lastest version of the mod handles the momentum scaling for Sonic's Thok ability.

Would prefer it to work like how it did in older versions of the mod.
This makes platforming and spinjumping WAY worse for Sonic.

Also, Tails' Fly feels a little off.
Since it has this kind of "holdfly" now. It's kinda weird to control.

The way how the mod now handles the momentum scaling seems a little bit TOO conditional.

And here I thought the whole point of the mod was to give you more accessible ways to gain speed and build up momentum.
Without any sort of speed cap and stuff.

Last edited:
I absolutely do not understand why the base game isn't like this, at least when it comes to keeping momentum from springs and slopes. As of now horizontal springs are pointless for anything other than automating the player towards a particular point and downhill slopes feel weirdly pointless unless you're rolling.

Is there any way you can convert this to a .zip file? I'd really like to try it, but opening .rar files is really difficult on Mac. If not I totally understand, but I'd really love to use this mod.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back