Unofficial v2.2 Discussion Thread

Those reasons aren't really obvious, it's totally possible to beat that level. What problems were you having?

I got past it barely. The part for me was the beginning in trying to survive it all and that was painful brutal level and I got past it but looks like my final game over might come Arid Canyon Act 2 on that dang bomb cart of doom since it impossible to beat!

Edit: I forgot you could jump. Beat it.

Edit: Screams on Red Volcano!

Edit: RAGE! So much RAGE!

Yep srb2 is infamous for their insanely hard levels that they feel is reasonable. I almost broke my own phone from rage! Those stupid catepillar bugs keep killing me in already hard section!

Last edited:
unrelated to the whole analog drama thing.... is the new OST going to be released? i love the new songs so so much but dont feel like playing the game just to listen to it. is there a better way to listen to the new OST?
also i played some coop multiplayer last night and it was a blast, tails is super op and the revamped stages are so much fun. except CEZ, i lagged a lot in that part and had to quit just so my computer didnt overheat. lol. but i liked the whole falling bridge thing. was pretty intense even as a tails player.

Last edited:
I have a suggestion: Even further discourage playing as Sonic-only. The character select screen should be ordered like this:

1. Sonic & Tails
2. Tails
3. Knuckles
4. Sonic

Additionally, you might want to add a lesson on Tails's flight in Sonic & Tails mode in the tutorial.

It's so demoralizing to see people give up on the game after falling into the bottomless pit at the end of ACZ1 ten times in a row. They're missing out on so much amazing fun! I love these new levels.

Is RVZ planned to have 2 acts eventually? Because the new version of it might be one of my favorite levels ever, it's so damn good, even if it's hard as hell. Honestly, the new levels are so damn good, I want another zone just for the hell of it. I understand that the current amount is going to stay, though. Hopefully we get some great mod levels soon. I'm absolutely loving this update.

Still, the idea of a Ice Cap-esque zone with snowboarding down slopes...

unrelated to the whole analog drama thing.... is the new OST going to be released? i love the new songs so so much but dont feel like playing the game just to listen to it. is there a better way to listen to the new OST?

It's on SoundCloud already, although not on CobaltBW's profile.

Oh. Oh my gosh.

There's an in-game option to disable the camera flips when the gravity flips. I don't have to punch it into the console and feel like a filthy cheater.

THANK YOU. That's the one part of Egg Rock Zone that has always been a huge pain for me. Some parts are not THAT bad...But trying to properly cling/glide around a death trap hallway while flipped? It's too much for my brain to handle, lol.

Figured I would pop back into existence for a minute just to say 2.2 is easily my favorite update so far. Some of the new unlockables blew my mind as I never expected them to actually happen, and I am a massive fan of the new physics.

Honestly, I'm in the camp that says the removal of analog mode is for the better. I can understand why some people would like it, but I always felt like it was kinda like a cheat mode with the mobility it brings you as opposed to the normal controls, the camera being terrible being the only thing really offsetting this.

Overall, SRB2 has never felt so close to completion. If you told me 2 to 5 years from now the final version was coming out, I would probably believe you. The amount of sheer content in this release is already about enough to feel like a full game. The only thing I'm not a fan of is it being called version 2.2, despite being such a full overhaul over 2.1. It feels like at least a 3.0.

Overall, SRB2 has never felt so close to completion. If you told me 2 to 5 years from now the final version was coming out, I would probably believe you. The amount of sheer content in this release is already about enough to feel like a full game. The only thing I'm not a fan of is it being called version 2.2, despite being such a full overhaul over 2.1. It feels like at least a 3.0.

Absolutely! Assuming STJr doesn't decide to further expand their scope by adding Dark City and Grand Eggship to the campaign, all that's needed before you could call the game complete is to finish Red Volcano and remake Egg Rock/Black Core. That's "only" 3 levels and 2-4 bosses (depending on whether Metal Sonic is remade and whether there's a Super Sonic boss based on NiGHTS).

Obviously there's a lot of other details—many updates to Match, potentially replacing Analog mode, making more Challenge stages, etc.—but I can see the finish line for the first time since I discovered this game ~15 years ago.

One of my favorite things about this update is that we did it. We finally did it. The Sonic community has finally created an example of what a 3D Sonic level built on the same principles of the Genesis games should look like, now that we have slopes. All we're missing is loops, but they're really a minor part of the equation now.

Sonic Utopia got "well, it's only one test level with unfocused level design". Older versions of SRB2 got "well, there's no slopes". Other 3D fangames/fan-engines got "well, they're not finished and there's no real levels, just gameplay". But no, here we have 11 levels, all with their own unique gimmicks and gameplay feel, that use slopes and alternate pathways and all the good stuff 2D Sonic used. Finally, we have a rebuttal to that "well, Sonic just doesn't work in 3D" bullshit that people have been saying for a damn decade at this point. Here's eleven fucking levels of it working, and not merely working, but simultaneously being extremely fun and utterly unlike any other 3D platformer out there.

Props to Sonic Team Jr. And the game isn't even fully finished yet.

but one thing I DO wanna complain about is the camera based thok because dear lord this was an awful idea [...]
And you know what I understand why it was done, Sonics thok has been an OP thing for a long time now! Come on though, there had to have been a better way of compensating then actively REMOVING control from the player. Anywho that's me and my thoughts.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting your comment, but you seem to be under the impression that this is something we changed for 2.2. It's not. The thok has always aimed in the direction of the camera (except in analog mode). The difference is that in past versions, Sonic always faced in the same direction as the camera anyway, so there was no difference between "aiming in the camera's direction" and "aiming in Sonic's direction".

Is RVZ planned to have 2 acts eventually?
It's going to be a regular three-act zone just like the others. We've already done some preliminary work on the second act.

I understand that the current amount is going to stay, though.
We would still like to make Dark City Zone and Grand Eggship Zone.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your comment, but you seem to be under the impression that this is something we changed for 2.2. It's not. The thok has always aimed in the direction of the camera (except in analog mode). The difference is that in past versions, Sonic always faced in the same direction as the camera anyway, so there was no difference between "aiming in the camera's direction" and "aiming in Sonic's direction".

You know what, I went back to 2.1 to see if what you said is true and it turns out, it was! I was so used to the camera turning when I turned my character that turning and thoking was a significantly easier thing to do! Now that the camera moves seperately from the character themselves my muscle memory is screwing me up! But if this is how people are being pushed to play the game wouldn't it make more sense to have the thok be multidirectional instead of being locked to the camera?

Actually, I'm wondering...would it be possible to make a map in SRB2 that uses the single-player structure (i.e "get to the end") but which lets you use Match's weapons? This is a doom engine game after all--I think FPS platformer levels would be a pretty neat idea for a mod, and hell, Doomguy already controls pretty similarly to the characters in this game when it comes to running around.

Warning: End-game spoilers ahead. Make sure that you've beaten version 2.2's campaign at least once before viewing the below spoiler.
Should we expect to see any sort of overhaul, or even just slight added slopeyness, to Egg Rock Zone before 2.3, or would that mess too much with existing replays and such to happen in a patch?

I saw DCZ and GEZ being mentioned??
I'm really excited to see about Dark City, the unused music track for it is very intrigging, quite and mysterious, personally my 2nd favourite of the game soundtrack.

Seeying what the mods brought for Dark City has been pretty nice. I remember when I tried to do something like Dark City (tho I only managed to do the beginning).
I wonder how the slopes will be implemented for it.

2.2 has me more excited than ever for the future stages!

Okay I'm sort of at my fucking limit here, how the hell does the "broken blue door" emblem in Deep Sea work? I've scoured the entire course for like an hour looking for this "small hole" to get you into the room and I cannot find it. I've noclipped in there just to see where it might lead and I cannot figure out what the hell to do to get in here.

EDIT: oh that's why, it's because the broken door the switch is behind is green, not blue.

yjnbJve.png

Last edited:
It feels dumb to be demanding like this after such an incredible update, but after seeing so many things in the new version that I thought were impossible in SRB2's engine... is there even a shadow of a chance that someday the 35fps limit will be lifted?

It feels like the game could benefit from drop shadows for players and certain hazards, like the fire pinwheels in RVZ or the CEZ boss's spikeballs, mostly since those are the objects I had the most issue with in regards to judging depth. Certain flying badniks as well. Also, those RV birds, man. You should at least be able to button mash out of their grip if they're going to be so unrelenting.

Last edited:
It feels dumb to be demanding like this after such an incredible update, but after seeing so many things in the new version that I thought were impossible in SRB2's engine... is there even a shadow of a chance that someday the 35fps limit will be lifted?

I recall seeing a 70FPS build a while back, there's also motion interpolation builds for SRB2 Kart like fkart. I haven't read into them too much, but I'm sure there's reasons they're not in the main game.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back