[Open Assets] Dimensional (s_dimensional_b05) - Beta 5 Released

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sims

i would rather not
These level are the first in a level pack that I making simply called Dimensional. It will feature 6 full length levels with 3 acts to each zone.

STORY:
The animals have been kidnapped by Eggman. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the animals?

Planned Zones:
Zephyr Hills
A lush, green area, mostly untouched by Eggman's machines. Enjoy the scenery while completing some easy gimmicks and platforming.
Twilight City
In this level, we hit the high rise buildings and poisonous sewers, and everything in between. Eggman had more developing times here, so expect some harder areas here and there, as well as the occasional factory.
Darkvile Castle
Eggman recently found a long-abandoned castle, and made some modifications to make it a bit more deadly! This level features traps left by the previous owners, which work just as well now than when they were made. And as you make your way deeper, you reach a factory that Eggman has built inside the castle!
Blizzard Peaks
It got a little chilly here. This is a snow-based level featuring ice and crystal caverns. The water that isn't frozen is likely going to hurt you, so stay out!
Dragon Forge
Out of the freezer, and into the fire! We hit some lava and some rising lava platforms, so be prepared for some intense platforming with little room for error.
Mad Gadget
Eggman's main base of operations! Expect a difficult factory type level here, sort of a combination between THZ2 and both ERZ acts, plus a few original things that I came up with!

This Release Contains:
2 complete levels.
Custom Textures.
2 hidden emerald tokens, 1 in each act.

Sendspace Mirrors
s_zephryhills_b04.wad
s_zephyrhills_b04_nomusic.wad

Special Thanks to Arson Noir for improving the ZHZ Textures.

New releases will now be under the Dimensional name instead of just Zephyr Hills.

Attachments

• srb20000.jpg
    srb20000.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,071
  • srb20006.jpg
    srb20006.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 828
  • 2emlgti.jpg
    2emlgti.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 780
  • srb20004.jpg
    srb20004.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 671
  • s_dimensional_b05.zip
    2 MB · Views: 1,033
  • s_dimensional_b05_nomusic.zip
    156.4 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:
Thok.

All you have to do. Just thok forward.
Except for ONE INSTANCE (The elevator that apparently is an elevator and not just another block), I could clear the whole stage by thoking forward. Even the 3D segment kind of felt this way. It was boring, flat, and felt like there just wasn't... Anything. It was barren and empty, both in visuals and gameplay. I know this is a "First zone" type of thing, but it's just so BORING. Take Greenflower zone 1 & 2. Despite being first stages, they were fun and felt like a good start. ESPECIALLY act 2, but I wont go into that, since this is just act 1.

What i'm saying is, this is very boring. No real gameplay other than thok ahead, no good use of 2D and 3D potential, no interesting landscape visuals, heck, not even interesting textures. But the music IS a good selection, and while I have taken a sneak peek at 2 and 3, I must say I like the music choices there.

Where I'm getting at is, this level is flat and bland, even for a "First Zone" type of stage. The gimmick is useless, the stage is a snore, and it just isn't attention grabbing. it's not HORRID, just... Bland.

2 out of 5.

The level is a little plain, but I still like it a lot. You did an excellent job of 2D to 3D switching.

2D segment looks boring. No offence meant, but you may have added background scenery, but it needs levels! Vary the heights a bit more. Make a river flowing from the back, and have a bridge crossing over it, or something. I mean, if you make it two 64px stairs, it'd also allievate the thok-forward problem. :D

Beta 2 Released

Change log:

Visuals improved in certain areas
Added 2 new areas to improve design
Flooded area drained
Act 2 and 3 music removed to reduce space.
Experimental textures added, please give opinions on whether they should stay.

Download with or without music for convience and space.

2emlgti.jpg

Last edited:
It keeps saying that the zip folder is "invaild or corrupted." I Cant download it.

It keeps saying that the zip folder is "invaild or corrupted." I Cant download it.

Just tested both of them, and they seem to work, so I don't know what to tell you. Anyone else having this problem?

I will try to find out the issue.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

I still cant get it im have same issuse with other things too... Seems like its only ZIP folders.

Thanks that worked.Im gunna go try it out.
But i still need to find out what my issue was. I think its my computer.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

Just played it and loved it! But a little sugestion, if this is your first Zone in a pack save the bunkers for later zones. Onless it is ment to be a harder difficulty.

Alright, NOW we're getting somewhere! The 3D sections are MUCH better, and it has a nice feel to it, especially with the music. Did you grab it from somewhere, or did you compose it yourself? It still feels kinda empty, but not for the scenery, but the lack of rings and enemies. Enemies may not be a strong point for you (Or, at least from what you say), but give it a try. Also, the wall textures are good (Especially int he water bits), but the grass should be brighter to match better. Aside from that, a MUCH better job than last time. I really wish I could change score now, since I wanna put a 4/5... Ah well. Keep up the good work!

The music is from an old N64 game called Snowboard Kids 2. Specifically, a level called "Turtle Island". I love the soundtrack to absolute death, so I figured I may as well use a few themes from it.

Alright, NOW we're getting somewhere! The 3D sections are MUCH better, and it has a nice feel to it, especially with the music. Did you grab it from somewhere, or did you compose it yourself? It still feels kinda empty, but not for the scenery, but the lack of rings and enemies. Enemies may not be a strong point for you (Or, at least from what you say), but give it a try. Also, the wall textures are good (Especially int he water bits), but the grass should be brighter to match better. Aside from that, a MUCH better job than last time. I really wish I could change score now, since I wanna put a 4/5... Ah well. Keep up the good work!
Exactly sums up my opinion. Why can't we change the score?

Yeah. Those worked.

The level feels pretty mediocre. I like the cool looking new textures. Your 2D sections could definitely use some work, and the 3D sections needed a bit more content. You have a good idea here, just needs a bit more refined execution.

Beta 3 Released

Change Log:

Textures improved by Arson
Various additions in certain 2D areas to make gameplay more interesting
More rings and crawlas added.
Fixed a broken death pit that surprisingly nobody has noticed.

Once again, you can download either with or without music. I highly recommend that you get the music one, simply because it fits the atmosphere better. But if you don't want custom music for space or personal reasons, a version with vanilla music is available.

Sendspace Mirrors
http://www.sendspace.com/file/lgs2hp
s_zephyrhills_b03.wad
http://www.sendspace.com/file/dzzcjr
s_zephyrhills_b03_nomusic.wad

Last edited:
7/10.
Pretty much thok-based. However, there is platforming so it's alright. There's also nice scenery and a good feel (thanks to the music). It's also nice that you added 2.0 enemies.

This level has come a long way from its humble beginnings. I'm highly impressed, and want to see even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back