• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Special Stages V2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone

My name is not a troll
I got bored, and so to familarize myself with actual 3D level design, I decided I shall make a pack of special stages. So far, one is done, with that being the GFZ one.

A: They all follow themes of the levels; #1 is GFZ styled, while #2 is THZ and #3 is CEZ, etc ad infinitum.

Screenshots (of level #1 anyway)

srb20000.png

srb20001.png

(Sorry they suck, my cameraman skills are poor at best and abysmal at worst)

EDIT: AHAHAHA I SUCK
I forgot to include the download link, didnt I? :/
http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/659newspstages.wad

Make sure your rings are set to "Float"... even if they are on floating platforms. Otherwise they look odd sitting on the ground. Also, you want the platforms to give the player plenty of room to jump. Even on SS7 the platforms generally were big enough and it was the tricky timing and jumps that was the problem, not the tiny ledges.

Remember, collecting rings can get boring after a while, so give the player an interesting layout to keep him occupied rather than challenge him with cheap platforms in the early stages. Stage 5 is an excellent example of a relatively long stage that remains interesting because of the unique setup. Stages 1-3 generally let the player simply run through it rapidly if they know what they are doing... the REAL difficulty doesn't come in until the last couple stages.

I'll download when more are done. Looks cool though; I'm actually a fan of special stages. Using the themes of the levels is a unique Idea too.

I hope you do a theme for each SP level, not just the ones put in. I'd actually kind of like to see Dark City or something.

Oh, and in the screenshots I see water is translucent. You could make it more like GFZ and make it opaque.

Drake Spyker said:
Jellybones said:
Oh, and in the screenshots I see water is translucent. You could make it more like GFZ and make it opaque.

GFZ's water in 2.0 IS translucent.

I was thinking more of the large canyon in GFZ2, but looked at GFZ1, and yeah, it's transculent. The colormap Someone put on it though makes it look more-see-through, and it's got a strange color.

I think opaque water will look better, though. But it's your level.

So, right now, I've made a few tweaks to the GFZ-Stage, and got a design for the THZ stage. Problem is I'm going to run out of ideas fast; brb finding out how to make 2.0 gimmiks

ALSO:
Every single ring has been made to float, although the fact that they arent might be a problem of SRB2DB rather than me (silly outdated program; but I need the 3D mode :( ), and stuffs generally been made better.

One problem with you arrangement, CEZ is now zone 4. your current arrangement matches that of 1.09.4, the previous version.

My guess is that 2.0's config file is set wrong; Float doesn't do anything to rings, while Deaf still makes them float.

I think you have an outdated configuration there. I think the newest one just has deaf, but no float. This is due to the fact that since SRB2 DB thinks that the 4th (?) checkbox is the one that is deafed and changes what that textbox says when it shouldn't. The newest config shouldn't have the 4th checkbox, since the multiplayer flag is used only for z-offsets, so it shouldn't have that problem.

Does it also have access to the [spoiler:282430123b]SRB1 Badniks and Metal Robotnik?[/spoiler:282430123b]

I believe it does, but I can't really check right now. I gave them the config with the enemies added. If they added that or not, I don't know.

[spoiler:dbc87869d0]I highly suggest that you don't use the SRB1 enemies for much. They don't have good AI yet, and don't have enough sprites too look good for a 3D level.[/spoiler:dbc87869d0]

glaber said:
Does it also have access to the [spoiler:92cb5422f0]SRB1 Badniks and Metal Robotnik?[/spoiler:92cb5422f0]
[spoiler:92cb5422f0]Yes, but they REALLY shoudn't be used for 2D, the SRB1 ones, and Metal Robotnik shouldn't be touched. Also, SRB1 Metal Sonic is placeable, but do not that he will ONLY FACE LEFT.[/spoiler:92cb5422f0]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back