Sloped thok barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK.exe

The one and only!
Kart Krew™️
So a weird visual issue seems to occur when you make a thok barrier sloped.

In ZB it looks fine but in game (software) it looked dodgy, i've yet to see if this occurs on the optimized .exe

can you provide a picture? I haven't yet even thought about slopeing a thok barrier

I'm wondering if this is a valid bug? Mostly because this barriers are deliberately made 0-height sectors, are they supposed to slope?

I Can confirm this, Not only for Thok barriers, Basically Any kind of sloped sectors that are connected to ceiling would Cause that Wierd HOM, Though that happens mostly in OpenGL Mode .

It's a valid bug. MI was working on a fix for 2.1.15 but it ended up breaking other thok barriers so we reverted it for now.

A work-around for now is probably adding an extra non-sloped thok barrier around the level, and using fake ceiling planes to have some fake non-0 height in the sectors, causing them to (hopefully) render correctly (while still being unable to pass through). I believe I've tried this in the past with success, but I might be thinking about something else. Not sure.

srb20305.png

that example i was meant to put in

Uh .. Have you sloped the Ceiling too ? It looks like the Ceiling isn't sloped .

It may be a problem not with sloping a thok barrier, but with sloping a sky plane.

I encountered a similar problem with a sloped sky, but my implementation is generally not noticeable enough

Keep it the same, but put an extra sector behind it that is a non-sloped thok barrier

Oh right; you should also make the ceiling of the old sloped thok barrier not sloped and put either an impassable line there or a solid invisible FOF to prevent people going into it (see: http://puu.sh/pW0Pu/99fc6bea38.jpg). Sorry about that <:V
I tried using an invisible FOF for that purpose once. The result was Knuckles could climb up to infinity and beyond (well, up to the ceiling of the non-barrier sector, at least), which I don't think can be avoided without a multi-property FOF, which would be overkill for a purpose such as this. I believe I then used a fake ceiling plane to keep the impassibility of a thok barrier, climbability of the lower part, and unclimbability of the upper part, while having it look right. Of course, this would also need another thok barrier outside the first thok barrier.

When I added slopes to my BMZ map, I didn't slope any thok barriers and the walls didn't get the slope effect from MK's image. So I'm guessing it's just possible IF you wanted to have the walls sloped as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back