Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so it's the 29th and there are almost no SP, Match or CTF maps. Last Circuit division or not, it would be nice to have some actual content in the other divisions.

And no, Scizor300, this doesn't mean I want three-day rush jobs.

Okay I GUESS I'll try to finish Maple Lake (Match), seeing as I've been putting it off for so long.

maplelake.png

I GUESS.

Last edited:
That's a smoother and another way to draw a preview of a future level... but it looks really simple ! My way to draw my levels is to draw the sectors in 2D like in SRB2 DB, and add some infos, like "In this room, the gameplay needs some bottomless pits, or it needs lots of wall..." I can't draw everything of the level, but I can have a general idea of rooms.
Of course, if your 3D mode seems better for you, sure keep it.

Viridity Woodland : Pretty soft, and I love the light effect on the 1st picture - I also hope you used this idea several times without abuse of it.
If the sweetness of this level is almost everywhere, then I'll love it.

Eggmansion Zone Act 2 : Woohoo, this rocks, and I'm glad to see these custom textures. But because it's an orange/red sky, maybe a sweet orange colormap (like the one in Cloud Cradle) could be sweet ?

Last edited:
You know those other level's I posted awhile back? Ignore them, they are on hold for another level that has been needing to be finished. Ladies and gentlemen, I present the one and only...

EGGMANSION ZONE ACT 2
That's right, it's returning again. While it may not make this contest, I plan to have it done by the Jan/Feb one. Here's some screenshots of what all is new!

srb20485.png

At the start of the level you are greeted by the mansion's creepy decor, and the redish orange sky behind it.

srb20488.png

Something seems odd about this platform, I wonder what it could be...

srb20489.png

Run Sonic, RUN!

I bring news of sadness. My circuit entry won't be making it in. But wait! It wasn't because I procrastinated, like I usually do. Indeed, I tried very hard on this one! The fact of the matter is, the time I had to make the level in wasn't time enough. I feel sort of foolish, being the one who encouraged people to make circuit entries, only to fail my own part. But what can one do? Maybe if I had gotten the level idea sooner, I would have been able to complete it...

But seeing as this was the last circuit OLDC, you guys shall never know if I was good at making circuit maps or not! *sinister laugh*

Anyways, since I was rather attached to what I did complete, I wanted to share a bit of my level and a few of the ideas behind it.

The level itself takes place in and around a village situated on a plateau. If you've ever played Spyro the Dragon, think Stone Hill. That was where I got my main inspiration from. It would have involved a race through a town and square, across a farm field, around the craggy edge of the plateau, and up some raging rapids.
srb20075o.png

I had a number of gimmicks planned, including one time (PLAYER INTERACTIVE!) shortcuts based on falling platforms, underground waterways, and snowbanks which would slow the player up when run through. The latter of which can be seen in this picture. They worked pretty well, too. ;~;
srb20074p.png

MOO
srb20073.png

Cowie the Cow is a Cowie Cow
(With REALISTIC cud chewing motion!)

I can't wait to see everyone else's contest entries. I wish everyone good luck!

Last edited:
I know you're good at making levels, Charybdizs, the fact to don't have enough time is a proof that you make your level with your heart, you do not want to post an unfinished level ~

The first picture of your snowy race level (or SP ?) looks so pure ! For some reasons, the water looks in my mind to a current...
Pretty cow.

Conveyor Climb Zone is in. Late night cramming and a few episodes of MST3K helped create it. I hope you like Knuckles. If you don't, then tryyyyy and kill me with a fooorkliiift (Ole!)...

Going to sleep. I hope there's still gonna be at least one OLDC serv tommorow. Also happy new year.

Hey, Mystic, just a small request, if you haven't created the SP pack yet, would you mind changing my level (sc_pollutedplains.wad)'s TypeOfLevel so that it can't be played in Race mode? I forgot that adding the boss fight at the end would remove its compatability with Race.

Don't be in any hurry to play the packs:

IRC said:
[19:49] <Mystic> I'll probably deal with it tomorrow. I'm sorry, but if I'm too tired to go hang out with my IRL friends on New Year's Eve, I'm not going to be compiling a WAD for you all, either. You can wait a day
(And no, to the opportunists among you, there is no deadline extension)

I am deciding to put my wad on here. Mechanical Beach Zone. It's like a beach with machines and oil spills everywhere. I got the idea from listening to Emerald Beach Zone (the remake for Sonic Generations). I closed my eyes and some ideas showed. Then, it went from imagination to reality. There might be some parts of the level that you are familiar with like the peer falling apart because of the GIANT WHALE chasing Sonic, but no whale. I was going to submit it in the contest submissions back in October but my laptop has been taken away. No images, no submission, no anything until I start getting good grades in school. I think I'll have it back soon because this is the start of the new quarter and I have been doing my work.

EDIT: I can make new levels on my old computer (the refuge camp) and all but all the other levels on my laptop

Last edited:
So, about one week left before the contest starts. Is anyone else going to be entering this OLDC besides me, or will this be another low turnout OLDC?

srb20526.png

Here, have another screenshot of my level.

So, about one week left before the contest starts. Is anyone else going to be entering this OLDC besides me, or will this be another low turnout OLDC?

srb20526.png

Here, have another screenshot of my level.

Reminds me of Hang Castle from Sonic Heroes. =V

Also depending on how motivated I am to actually get my SP entry done, I may or may not enter it. Still have to fix the flatness in the trees and other flat and uninteresting parts in the map. Might extend it a bit more to add more exploration, may contemplate adding separate paths for Tails and Knuckles. Either way the map will have some place where everything converges and ends.

I may also get my Mystical Heights CTF remake map entered. It's been renamed to Fragmented Skies now. I may or may not add clouds depending on how it plays.

Last edited:

All these creations...make me want to go, open up the doom builder and finish the work I started 3 years ago(that has been constantly redone over the past 3 years and remade at least 7 times). I shall finish my map, even if I have to redo some parts in it yet again.

On a more related note, those are pretty awesome pictures Blade. I especially like the vines and the custom enemies.

@Blade: Since when do lighthouses use castle textures? It looks out of place.

@Katmint: All I see is a low ceiling, which is never a good design choice, really.

Well I do have a coop level I been making over the past month or so.

2eaicxy.png

28r1vmg.png

2chxpu8.png

The level still is not finish. But I might get it done over the week if I got time.

And other then that I do got a match level that is finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back