PSO2 Megathread

What is this? Why Sega didn't just call it "Phantasy Star 3" or "Phantasy Star New Genesis"?

I'm confused, is this an update or an entire new game? I hope they make up their mind because it sounds like they want to keep the Phantasy Star Online 2 branding while wanting to make a new game as well.

I have somewhat of an understanding as to what's going on. I'll try to condense what I know. To start, a follow up video has been released.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbQCZ2j5nZE
and an article has been posted
https://pso2.com/news/announcements/pso2ngsannouncement

What's going on? (From my understanding)
This is moreso an expansion with a graphics overhaul for both standard PSO2 and PSO2: New Genesis, you can go between both universes of PSO2 and PSO2: New Genesis. You can argue that PSO2: New Genesis is a new game as there are many things that separate it from normal PSO2. Combat and gameplay, for starters, looks significantly different in PSO2: New Genesis.

Items Obtained in PSO2 That Cannot Be Used in PSO2: New Genesis (Subject to change as of writing, 7/24/20)
  • Skill Rings
  • Consumable Items used for battle, growth, and enhancement
  • Boost Items
  • Materials
  • Furnishings

Character Growth Elements That Are Not Shared With PSO2: New Genesis (Subject to change as of writing, 7/24/20).
  • Level
  • EXP
  • Class Skills
  • Photon Arts
  • Techniques
This does not mean that we will be starting from square one, when this new system launches, it simply means that if I gain a level in PSO2, it won't transfer over to PSO2: New Genesis.

AC and SG items can be used in both PSO2 and PSO2: New Genesis, however it's unconfirmed whether or not your values will carry over between the two universes. Under the understanding of how AC and SG works, these currency values are tied to your player account. That being said, I firmly believe cosmetics will be compatible between both PSO2 and PSO2: New Genesis.

It seems that PSO2: New Genesis is planned to have an entirely different economy. Outlined in the article, Meseta, FUN, and other currencies greatly affect the balance of the game's economy [and] cannot be shared between PSO2: NGS and PSO2.

Weapons, Units and Mags?
(Pulled from the article)

Weapons
  • While the fundamental weapon design will not change, their stats, augments, and potentials will. Additionally, some higher-rarity weapons may not be equippable until your character has reached a certain level. For weapons pertaining to classes that have not yet been added to PSO2: New Genesis, they will be unusable until the relevant class has been released.

Units
  • In PSO2: New Genesis, Units will become armor that is not visible. Even Units that have been obtained in PSO2 will become invisible in PSO2: New Genesis. Furthermore, similarly to weapons, their stats, augments, and potentials will change, and high-rarity Units may not be equippable until your character has reached a certain level.

The line that states "Units that have been obtained in PSO2 will become invisible in PSO2: New Genesis" suggests to me that units obtained in PSO2 will be usable in PSO2 New Genesis. However the way they aid you will be different in PSO2: New Genesis.

Mags
  • Mags within PSO2: New Genesis will not affect your stats, or aid you in battle. Although their evolution data, such as what you previously evolved them into, will be persistent between PSO2 and PSO2: New Genesis.

I have several other questions:

1) Are the PSO2 players forced to migrate toward NG or both games will co-exists for a while like how PSO Blue Burst existed despite PSU being out.

2) Is this like Overwatch 2 where player can play any of the two with the same account?

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

Speaking of the new enemies (the DOLLS), they reminds me of a mix between the Seeds and the Staterias from PSU.

And that boss reminds me a bit of Olga Flow (a giant with a sword).

Holy crap... I was NOT aware of just how deep the scope of gameplay changes was going to be in New Genesis. I just saw those near-identical Hunter PA animations in the trailer and thought "oh okay, so it's just going to be a graphical update with prob a few gameplay tweaks here and there", but WHOA EVEN MAGS ARE GETTING NERFED???? That is HUGE.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back