srb2 1.09.4 wads to 2.1.23

wanted to know if it's possible and if it is, how ?
It is possible, but it depends on what it is you're trying to convert
A character WAD may not be too much trouble, as I ported SA2-Shadow to 2.1 in my spare time, but that was because there was no real custom scripting back then. The only issue I had was converting the old DOOM green palette into the modern 2.1 green palette

Stage maps (I assume) are a nightmare with things being radically different from 10 years ago, this'll probably leave you tearing your hair out and may need help from veteren members and the Bible so you can keep what hope you have throughout the marathon of a task.

[snip]

that's a shame cuz i probably found the only living copy for this mod and since you said one map is hard, i don't want to think what time and work this may take

Last edited by a moderator:
You might be able to convert it using the finaldemo to 2.0 converter found on the website first and fix it from there. It's under historic downloads at the bottom of the page if you care to try.

First thing you're going to have to do at the very least (assuming this worked in the first place) is maybe remap any and all upside down springs to be gravflipped regular springs. Springs also work under gravity now so any springs floating in midair will require a specially SOC'd spring to replace it or some other means. Springs have had some minor updates in terms of strength as well so this will need to be accounted for as well for sections like GFZ2's spring segment.

Second thing is a few object types have been moved around in terms of number so you're going to have to make sure the objects are the correct types.

Third, and this is kinda the big one, any SOC related custom objects have to be mostly reworked due to the fact that we changed from a number based system to a word based system and certain objects may try and overwrite others in the vanilla game. Any custom objects found in these levels will most likely have to be reworked or converted using a converter which i'm not even sure works for 1.09.4.

Lastly, if you care about visuals at all, you're going to have to use the srb2.srb iWAD from finaldemo loaded in as a seperate thing in SLADE for converting any and all textures and flats to not only the current palette, but also to a format that the current version can use, otherwise your floors will be corrupted looking and your textures will all be redwall.

Last edited:
[snip]

Two of those wads already been ported by me.
I have a project in mind to port Ghoul Forest too.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

Port is easy, a bit complicated is the SOC.
Some actions have changed with the version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could I remind everyone that this is not the releases section, and you shouldn't be posting the ported wads here? I've removed all links to the ported wads in the thread.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back