[Open Assets] Flux Satellite Zone (Generations Remake)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

742mph

My work is never done yet
I present to you: Flux Satellite Zone!

Srb20067.png

No, not the crappy multiplayer level. The slightly less crappy single-player level. After being released for about a week exclusively on #srb2fun, this frenized path-split-fest of a level makes its not-so-triumphant appearance on the MB. Created to celebrate Sonic's 20th anniversary, Flux Satellite Zone features two plyable characters besides Tails and Knuckles, Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic, each with their own gameplay styles and paths throughout the level.

Fans of platforming should choose Classic Sonic, who rarely runs for long periods of time and instead focuses on precision jumping and rarely-used control techniques to complete his section. Modern Sonic, on the other hand, adds some speed to his gameplay as well, making his section a hectic mix-up of 3D and 2.5D platforming, as well as 3D running and speed-pad sections.

The level was designed to be of high difficulty and may be making an appearance as the final level of an upcoming level pack. Many death hazards are involved, and falling out of the satellite and down to Earth will kill you instantly. Even worse is the prospect of falling out while under reverse gravity, which will of course cause you to fall away from the planet and become lost in space forever, repelled by even the tiniest speck of positive matter and never able to find anything to call your own... at least until you respawn at the nearest checkpoint. You did remember to touch it, right? I'm going to have to pay for your funeral if you didn't, and that's going to do serious damage to me considering the state of the economy right now.

As always, constructive criticism is welcomed. I would very much like to hear from you about what you think of the level, particularly its difficulty and by extension where it should be placed in my level pack, harder being towards the end. Thank you and enjoy.

(Oh, and if you can guess what the boss music is a remix of, then you get a cookie. A big one, with extra chocolate chips.)

(Some sprites by Blade. Used with permission.)

Screenshots:

Srb20069.png

Srb20070.png

Srb20071.png

Srb20072.png

Srb20073.png

Srb20074.png

Oh, and if you see anything suspicious, like discolored sections of the floor or computer screens showing strange messages, there's nothing to be worried about. I promise.

Attachments

• scr_fluxsatellite.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,445
Last edited:
This map has some nifty ideas that are completely wrecked by horrible execution. The problem is that 2D mode can't show you too much of what lies ahead, so you can't run at full speed. Besides that, some gimmicks simply don't work that well at all, like the transition to 2D at the beginning.

Oh, and please don't make any changes to the character roster. We should be allowed to play as the three standard characters, not Sonic and an alternate version of Sonic that Thoks slowly and slides around as if he's ice skating.

So I'm playing this right now... I'll update this post with bug.
1. The glass with lava behind the player when he spawns, on the left can be walked through. And the lava doesn't hurt.
2. You can get into the 2D mode in a wrong position- making you unable to grab rings.
3. Walking into the red spring even when charging spindash at some point near a checkpoint doesn't enter you into the zoom tube.
4. Eggman sometimes move to places outside of Sonic's reach (he moves like he's in 3D mode, so the player misses him)
5. Why does he shoot Brak Eggman Missiles? These don't help a bit... also a bit of a warning that you're going to an area which waiting for 1 second kills you would be nice.

Other than that the map has some decent ideas and gimmicks.

Last edited:
So I'm playing this right now... I'll update this post with bug.
1. The glass with lava behind the player when he spawns, on the left can be walked through. And the lava doesn't hurt.
2. You can get into the 2D mode in a wrong position- making you unable to grab rings.
3. Walking into the red spring even when charging spindash at some point near a checkpoint doesn't enter you into the zoom tube.
4. Eggman sometimes move to places outside of Sonic's reach (he moves like he's in 3D mode, so the player misses him)
5. Why does he shoot Brak Eggman Missiles? These don't help a bit... also a bit of a warning that you're going to an area which waiting for 1 second kills you would be nice.

Other than that the map has some decent ideas and gimmicks.

I will attempt to fix the bugs you mentioned. Also, the intangibility of one of the lava tubes is a secret--the Special Stage Token is hidden within.

The problem is that it's hard to hide something in a level made mostly of glass, and I wanted something accessible to both Sonics, so I put the token there.

Am I the only one who can't move during a homing attack? I just get frozen in place.

I believe it only happens when you try to homing-attack an object on the other side of a wall. That's a problem with the game engine, not the WAD, at least as far as I know.

EDIT: New version availible with some fixed bugs and playable Tails and Knuckles. Tails takes the Classic path, Knuckles takes the Modern. To prevent it from being too easy for Knuckles, he has lost his ability to climb walls and can only glide.

Last edited:
This is good, i can tell by looking at the screenshots. Keep up the good work, 742mph.

This is unplayable for me because it lags so much and I only got FOUR things running! The Modern Sonic looks exactly the same and has a suckish homing attack. You should just get rid of modern Sonic all together. Well...thats all I can say.

New update: Modern Sonic's Homing Attack is faster and a few other things have been tweaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back