• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Drawn to Life: A New Canvas

DylanDude

Overeager Raposa
Since February 25th, 2019, I've been working on a level pack which aims to reimagine the first Drawn to Life game in SRB2. It's been a slow but steady road to this point, and I'm finally in a position to create its own Editing thread. At the moment, I'm focusing on completing the first world which will comprise the first release, and then I'll see if I still have the drive to continue. This has taken a lot of work, after all!

Now, onto the specifics...

Here's the general plan. The pack consists mostly of 2D levels, with a 3D recreation of the original Raposa Village hub visited in-between worlds. Three levels per world, plus a custom boss for each. Four worlds in total, like the original game.

Of course, there's also SOC cutscenes, powered by the new text prompts used in Tutorial Zone. These recreate key scenes from the original game, but now in a more compressed format for the sake of pacing. The original game had you revisiting the hub after every stage, so I've had to make some notable compromises when scripting the cutscenes. Also, freeslot limits. Can't forget about those... Unfortunately, due to a lack of text prompt support in multiplayer, I might have to provide a separate version of the mod without the cutscenes specifically for netgame use.

Progress report:

Raposa Village: Roughly 50% done, although I may have to do some detail reduction to conserve FPS.

Snow Fields (short tutorial stage): 80% done, just missing some background detail and one or two prompts.

Mt. Snowy: 60% done. I wanted to have this be a three-minute act, but map size restrictions will probably result in it being around two-and-a-half.

Snow Caves: 50% done. Unfortunately, I've hit a bit of a creative roadblock at the start of the cave sequence.

Icy Lake: 30% done. Got too ambitious with PolyObjects during the conceptual phase, so I'm having to rethink much of that.

Frostwind: 10% done.

Cutscenes: 30% done. These are rather tedious to implement and have only been possible since 2.2 released. Still, pretty amazing that SOC can now do what was once cutting-edge for Lua.

And that's about it! There's a bit more content I'm not ready to share yet, but that's a general overview of what I'm currently working on and how much I have left to go.

Of course, I also owe a lot to the people who've occasionally chipped in to help or allow me to use their assets/scripts, and to both the Drawn to Life and SRB2 communities for supporting my efforts along the way.

In addition to the usual attachments, here's a playlist of eight videos I've recorded over the course of development, plus the mod's public YouTube trailer: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-lcCvX5M9BRCP5ailzIeILlKR9VsI7AG

Attachments

• srb20447.gif
    srb20447.gif
    7.6 MB · Views: 553
  • srb20786.jpg
    srb20786.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 467
  • srb20448.gif
    srb20448.gif
    5.8 MB · Views: 348
  • srb20449.gif
    srb20449.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 500
Made some new level icons and cobbled together some save select graphics from DTL's file select menu sprites.

Attachments

• srb20836.jpg
    srb20836.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 271
da fudge this looks awesome I'm gonna download this ASAP
Its not done...
Post automatically merged:

Since February 25th, 2019, I've been working on a level pack which aims to reimagine the first Drawn to Life game in SRB2. It's been a slow but steady road to this point, and I'm finally in a position to create its own Editing thread. At the moment, I'm focusing on completing the first world which will comprise the first release, and then I'll see if I still have the drive to continue. This has taken a lot of work, after all!

Now, onto the specifics...

Here's the general plan. The pack consists mostly of 2D levels, with a 3D recreation of the original Raposa Village hub visited in-between worlds. Three levels per world, plus a custom boss for each. Four worlds in total, like the original game.

Of course, there's also SOC cutscenes, powered by the new text prompts used in Tutorial Zone. These recreate key scenes from the original game, but now in a more compressed format for the sake of pacing. The original game had you revisiting the hub after every stage, so I've had to make some notable compromises when scripting the cutscenes. Also, freeslot limits. Can't forget about those... Unfortunately, due to a lack of text prompt support in multiplayer, I might have to provide a separate version of the mod without the cutscenes specifically for netgame use.

Progress report:

Raposa Village: Roughly 50% done, although I may have to do some detail reduction to conserve FPS.

Snow Fields (short tutorial stage): 80% done, just missing some background detail and one or two prompts.

Mt. Snowy: 60% done. I wanted to have this be a three-minute act, but map size restrictions will probably result in it being around two-and-a-half.

Snow Caves: 50% done. Unfortunately, I've hit a bit of a creative roadblock at the start of the cave sequence.

Icy Lake: 30% done. Got too ambitious with PolyObjects during the conceptual phase, so I'm having to rethink much of that.

Frostwind: 10% done.

Cutscenes: 30% done. These are rather tedious to implement and have only been possible since 2.2 released. Still, pretty amazing that SOC can now do what was once cutting-edge for Lua.

And that's about it! There's a bit more content I'm not ready to share yet, but that's a general overview of what I'm currently working on and how much I have left to go.

Of course, I also owe a lot to the people who've occasionally chipped in to help or allow me to use their assets/scripts, and to both the Drawn to Life and SRB2 communities for supporting my efforts along the way.

In addition to the usual attachments, here's a playlist of eight videos I've recorded over the course of development, plus the mod's public YouTube trailer: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-lcCvX5M9BRCP5ailzIeILlKR9VsI7AG
I've never played Drawn to Life but this looks promising! I'll download it once its done. Good luck on this! (if you are still working on it)

Folks, this topic has not been updated in over a year. There's nothing to discuss here.

If DylanDude wishes to update the topic, I can unlock it for them, but for now, there's no point in bumping this.

To be clear, this project isn't dead and never has been, I just had stopped sharing info about it outside of Discord. The reaction to the trailer in the Direct made me realize that I had been starving my YouTube audience of info regarding it.

Firstly, here's the trailer from the first Direct uploaded on its own.

Secondly, I recommend taking a look at the playlist linked to in the first post, it's been updated with more footage since then.

Finally, here's some new GIFs I recorded today.

Attachments

• srb20668.gif
    srb20668.gif
    3.5 MB · Views: 139
  • srb20670.gif
    srb20670.gif
    6 MB · Views: 113
  • srb20672.gif
    srb20672.gif
    570.5 KB · Views: 129
To be clear, this project isn't dead and never has been, I just had stopped sharing info about it outside of Discord. The reaction to the trailer in the Direct made me realize that I had been starving my YouTube audience of info regarding it.

Firstly, here's the trailer from the first Direct uploaded on its own.

Secondly, I recommend taking a look at the playlist linked to in the first post, it's been updated with more footage since then.

Finally, here's some new GIFs I recorded today.
where can I find the discord server?

Happy 1000 posts to me! Here's an in-depth look at the mod's intro cutscenes. The mod itself is also slowly chugging along, with multiple levels finished. I could possibly post a short demo soon if anybody would be interested.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back