• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

My Level Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrTapeworm

Midnight Abyss did nothing wrong
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Here I will post the levels I'm making that are not important enough for their own topic.

--Mine Maze Zone 2D--
srb20087.png

I don't know why, but Mine Maze has got to be my favorite of the scrapped zones. I decided to make a 2D Mode version of it...and here's a screenshot. There will be a heavy emphasis on background detail.

That orange thing is a crusher. Yeah. LOTS. OF. WOODEN PILLARS. BIG TEXT.

--Peridot Park Zone--
This was a possible entry for the OLDC, before Great Sandpit Zone.
srb20088.png

Big and open, this pristine place has loads of flowers and trees. There is also a castle inside the canyon.

--Tainted Ridge Zone--
Another entry for the OLDC that isn't going to be for the OLDC.
srb20090.png

This one isn't too hard to figure out. =|

TAR!

Wow, this is nice! I can't wait to see them released!

The second and third areas look too flat, and I'm not liking the first one entirely because it's using 2D mode.

I wouldn't consider it a dumb reason. The 2D engine is terrible (bad movement, bad controls) and the camera doesn't let you see far enough ahead.
People seem to like 2D mode just because it's 2D.

Peridot Park Zone seems pretty nice. Good for a starter level in a level pack.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Mine Maze Zone seems cool enough. Detailed backgrounds always make a level interesting.

2D DOES suck in some aspects, which is why I try to avoid taking routes that require you to jump accross small and widely spaced platforms unless I have Tails. 2D sucks THAT bad. If you're not careful, the no-traction affect the game gives you when you're in midair can send you flying off platforms. So long as Mine Maze doesn't have platforming like that, I'm fine.

I don't see what people's problem is with 2D mode; it works fine for me, and I quite like it. Those levels look pretty nice, though the 3rd one looks a bit too wide open.

2D mode has no midair traction, unlike 3D mode. This means it's REALLY easy to overshoot platforms, which has been driving me nuts in the right route of Hidden Forest from Sonic Quest for quite awhile.

Peridot Park and Tainted Ridge are fairly old, so yeah, they aren't my best maps.

Mine Maze won't have small platforms over death pits, mostly some crushers, background traps and a safe vertical section.

--Mystical Woods Zone--
srb20092.png

This map is very new. It currently only consists of the room I'm standing in. Yeah. But it'll look better when it's finished.

I think the shadows are far too dark.
Fences and small gardens (and a waterfall or two) could work nicely in there.

There will be two paths. One leads into a watery cave, and the other leads to more trees.

Try to ignore Kyasarin.He's just a hater, and a harsh critic. I like those texture choices for Mystical Woods, keep it up!

srb20094.png

This is the forest path. It has a little river which actually took more time to make than it needed to because of a little linedef and control sector mess-up. But now it works. Ignore the weird water lighting.

I added some thing-based scenery, mostly flowers and bushes in the forest, and dripping water and rocks in the cave.

I also added custom music and a custom sound (the old GFZ3 boss shot sound)

srb20094.png

This is the forest path. It has a little river which actually took more time to make than it needed to because of a little linedef and control sector mess-up. But now it works. Ignore the weird water lighting.

That looks really good. I like it a lot. Though I agree with Kyasarin on the scenery thing. And what do you mean by GFZ3 shot sound? Mind if I use something like that in my levels?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back