Resource icon

[Open Assets] Kart Megamix Themes (Cactus Fix)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
New update, thought this was updated sooner but I mainly wanted to push it out since it's another overhaul to the code.

Update #3 - Version 3
- The Persona 5 characters now use their proper theme and not the Puyo one
- The code has been entirely overhauled thanks to ampersand, using a table for all the themes to therefore streamline the script

- New themes were added, check ThemesList for that.

Could you /please/ use module music for most of the tracks in this? It would significantly cut down on the file size.

Gonna need to know what that is, how to use it, and why should I use it before just randomly bringing it up.

Module music usually means music done in a music tracker program of some sort, or alternatively it can be .VGM, .SPC, etc. as recorded from an emulator for the Genesis or SNES. These types of tracks were suggested for use in the SUGOI-series to cut down on the file size as they are so basic. As for how to use it, it would be imported into the wad as per the usual with the O_ prefix being used.

A small added bonus of using this type of music is that the speed functions actually work, thus you can make it sound like the original SEGA Genesis tracks did when speed shoes were used or use it for other purposes, not that I think that'd do anything for this mod but it is interesting to note nonetheless.

Last edited:
Ohhh yea I do use those types sometimes, I just was double checking on what "module music" meant but I'm familiar with using .VGMs and .SPCs. Thought that was only available for Zandronum but if it's usable here too I'll make sure to go back later on and do that.

Could you /please/ use module music for most of the tracks in this? It would significantly cut down on the file size.

Using module music doesn't necessarily cut down on the size. If you're wanting to make modules that are as accurate to the source music as possible, you would be wanting to use more channels and higher quality samples, right? That would mean that the resulting file would be larger in size compared to a module that cut some corners.

For the music eating up the size, I just think Dimps needs to properly compress the music in an audio editor.

This time it's not really a bug fix/code revamp update but more just adding onto what exists, however this update probably has the most compression which might be lovely to a lot of you.

Update #4 - Version 3.5
- Sonia's entry should actually be useable now with the now-released Sonia Strumm WAD
- Persona 5's entries have been expanded upon and accounted for every normal/Phantom Thieves name if and in the event
- The SEGA Hard Girls now are listed on the ThemesList.txt
- New themes for more characters, listed in ThemesList.txt or above in the thread
- Shortened and compressed most of the entries, some use completely different loops now too

I would have liked Gangplank Gallon from Smash Ultimate than The one from DK Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest for a Decent Name for his Game. THE GALLON IS BETTER!

I got another request handy for ya, for the characters Desert and P-Wing. I had to give this some thought because I'm thinking of the games the streamers in question have best identified with.

For Desert, I was thinking of 'Fatal K.O.' from that Hokuto no Ken game for the PS2.

And for P-Wing, Rambi's theme from Donkey Kong 64.

I'll get around to more requests (that followed the common courtesy rule) at some point in the future, though I could've spent some time adding a few more entries I wanted to try to get this one out since it uses the newly supported .pk3 format! So things had to be reorganized once again, and this also came with another compression.

Update #5 - Version 4
- New themes, listed in ThemesList.txt as per usual
- Sonic's theme was given a boost in quality
- We're now using the .pk3 format!

Sometimes it's hard to balance this out between spriting and homework so I hope this potentially combats the issues caused by my poor management.

Update #6 - LITE Version
- Since it's obvious that it will be a much harder time the longer I wait to update given the intense amount of characters being released at a time... I've decided to release a LITE version which only contains entries for the original 5 characters (no slips of any potential future characters until it happens). This is hopefully to combat the Forum's rules on no slight modifications of existing mods. I hope this can appeal to people who were wanting entries added but refused to loop the tracks themselves.
- No official cancellation of the standard version, as I still would like to personally add onto it later on but this is hopefully to allow for better customization as I've definitely been adding some biased (and potentially lazy) picks for some of these characters.

This update has been a long time coming, but...

Update #6 - Version 5 (Do-It-Yourself Update)
This update was primarily handled by Cactus Fantastico who provided a few things.
- The split-screen bug that has plagued this mod since the beginning has been rid of.
- Additional entries added for the new BonusChars.
- You can now easily make your own custom builds of MegamixThemes thanks to a script that was used from Tyrone's hornmod.
- Because of these updates, the LITE version has become the default version only containing the 5 base characters. However to compensate and to also help out those who are not used to this change, another file exists which has additional entries for the BonusChars as well as a text file quickly explaining how to build one yourself. On top of all that, I also included a folder with all the now unused entries that can be added back yourself (use older versions as a reference to who's is who's, nothing extra was added that isn't already within an existing file).

As an extra note as to why this update is the way it is, I'd rather not have to constantly keep updating this mod just because additional characters come out, especially when it's impossible to satisfy everybody and given new mods come out or came out pretty frequently it's hard to get all that done as it required me solely usually to dig up the songs to use myself. Hopefully this will finally give people a reason to essentially "do it yourself", as this mod will no longer get many updates, consider this mod basically "done" unless updates happen to the code or I add entries for the new BonusChars.

Last edited:
Update #7 - Cactus Fix
This update was primarily handled by Cactus Fantastico who provided this fix:
- Fixed a bug where the music would override victory/defeat music, now stopping the music at the end of a race.

Not sure if it's just on my end, but R6 doesn't seem to work at all. Getting errors running the main LUA script.

Main LUA outputs this error:
Code:
Added file ./DOWNLOAD/KL_MegamixThemes-R6/KL_MegamixThemes-R6.pk3 (8 lumps)
Loading Lua script from ./DOWNLOAD/KL_MegamixThemes-R6/KL_MegamixThemes-R6.pk3|lua/LUA_INVI
WARNING: ./DOWNLOAD/KL_MegamixThemes-R6/KL_MegamixThemes-R6.pk3|lua/LUA_INVI:37: '=' expected near 'false'

Last edited:
My friend encountered a similar issue as kurobutt and TSHYGUY with R6 when we were trying to add more songs. This also happened on a clean install of R6 with NO changes.
The only difference is that we didn't get a log from Lua like kurobutt did.

One last thing, is there a link to instructions or tips on how to add or change Megamix themes? While we did end up getting it to work after reverting to R5, it was complete guesswork that took me and my friends half a day to get it working with our additions.

How do you go about installing this? I'm really new to SRB2K and it seems like just dragging and dropping the files into the root directory isn't doing anything.

Hey so i made a couple of my own invincibility themes after i got inspired from seeing all of the megamix themes you made here, is there any chance you will be trying to get this working with the dynamic music mod down the line?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back