SP level votes

GrayAngel

It was really hard to decide which of the S Tier levels to give the number one spot to, but here we go. In order of best to worst...

S TIER

1. Metalic Madness - I saw gifs of this leading up to OLDC, and was very much looking forward to playing this. Unlike Sonic CD, this level did not disappoint. It lacks in traps and enemies, which makes it feel a little incomplete. Still, the platforming is A+++ material. However, there is a spring which fails to launch the character high enough, leading to them taking a fall to their death. It works perfectly for Amy, which perhaps was the intention, but it led to what felt like an unfair death when playing as other characters.

srb20002.png
If you want it to be used only by Amy, I suggest surrounding it with spikes. But there's no reward for Amy taking this spring as apposed to the others, so... Also, that Amy/Fang path shortly after that is cool, but it took me a while to realize I could break that spot on the floor. I thought I was stuck. Oh, and the glass turns to dirt when you break it. I assume this is just a detail you didn't have time to address before the deadline.

2. Aqua Paradise - More like Lag City! lol. Seriously, though. This level is very pleasing to me. I have a feeling this is a level that will end up getting fewer votes than it deserves just for being a water level, but it's pretty, it has a ton of detail, multiple paths, just a lot to enjoy. Too bad I have to set my draw distance to the lowest setting just to play it. I don't know if there's anything that could be done to make it run better. Also, I found a pit near some spring that you cannot escape, if you're playing as anyone other than Knuckles.

srb20000.png

srb20001.png
3. Snowflake Ridge - Very cool. I hope to see more Spyro content from you. It is impressive that you got Sparx to work in SRB2. And it's the only level with emblems in it that I completed 100%, so that definitely says something. I just wish people would stop using the bees... Also, when I found the gate with the fire powerup, I didn't know what it was for. I thought that pushing a certain button would allow me to shoot fire or something, but found out from others that it was used to enter that one pool of water, which would otherwise kill you for some reason. I struggle to know where to place this, because other levels have better platforming. In the end, I had to go with what I found to be the most enjoyable level, but this was very close to being number one on my list. Mechanically, it is very impressive, but it's not as fun as a level as others on this list. Honestly, I wouldn't complain if this was added to SRB2 officially. It would fit along side the Mario themed level.

4. Rustic Templar - A challenging level, with exclusive routes for Knuckles, Amy, Metal Sonic, and maybe Fang? I think I broke a floor that was supposed to be meant to be for Fang while playing as Knuckles. The opening area is really hard to get past with Sonic, but I enjoyed the level very much overall. Also, there's a spot I think is meant for Metal Sonic, which I got stuck in when playing as Amy. I was eventually able to escape with the Wind Shield.

srb20003.png

srb20004.png
Also, WTF is that respawning Eggman monitor at the beginning? I've never seen anyone use those before. That just confused me so much.

5. Shadow of Atlantis - I somehow missed this one in my first playthrough as Sonic & Tails, but fortunately found it when playing through all the levels again as Knuckles. I was pleasantly surprised. This one is so visually appealing and creative. Only two things hold it back. First, there's little sense of direction when you get to that wide open area. And second, the bees. Oh, god! Not the bees! Not the bees, nooooooo! Also, you can climb the sand falling from the ceiling as Knuckles. I played it again as Sonic, had a bit of a hard time trying to find my way around. Played it a third time as Tails and found all of those switches, and found that secret area. I don't know what I was expecting as a reward for finding all the switches, but it definitely wasn't that. lol

A TIER

6. Toffee Tor - A delightful level with lots of detail and multiple paths. Fun for every character. Feels very professional. I got a little lost a couple of times, nothing too serious. This is also the only time I've seen boulders be used to float on water. Their use here does highlight one thing that seems odd about those boulders, though. When you roll over enemies, you don't kill them. You just phase through them. Not the level's fault, of course, this was just the first time I realized that wasn't a mechanic.

7. Myriad Memories - Very creative, but kind of frustrating sometimes, particularly when important stuff is hidden in darkness. And I don't understand the color puzzle. Managed to guess it right on my first try anyway. lol

8. Wild West - An odd combination of Deep Sea and Arid Canyon. It almost feels like a transition from one to the next (although they're separated in order by Castle Eggman). It's well done, but just doesn't seem to have an identity of its own.

B TIER

9. Valley Falls - Use of Ristar music has earned you an extra 50 points. It also one of only two levels to feature 2D sections, so props for that too. However, it does have some problems. In the area where you bounce on three springs to get to the top, I had trouble at first finding the last one. If you can find a way to kind of point the player in the right direction, I think it would help. I had a couple of instances where the framerate dropped for some reason, but it wasn't too bad. Also, it's really easy to become misaligned in the 2D sections, making them difficult to impossible to complete. Once it happened because I took damage, but another time, it just happened as I walked into the section.

As for the under water maze... Not gonna lie, I dreaded going through it again on repeat playthroughs. I'm not against the idea of a maze, but please fill it with more air bubbles, as well as landmarks to make areas stand out. Also, there's a low wall I found, with a life monitor and some blue springs. But I was unable to roll underneath it. Funny thing, I actually had less trouble getting through it on my first try. Second try, I seemed to keep going around in circles.

10. Hectic Harbor - A nice little level. I like how all of the emeralds are hidden throughout the level. Finding them all was very fun and rewarding. It's also convenient to be able to collect them here, for if we want to use Super forms for these levels. This was actually the first level I tried, and it left a very good first impression for the OLDC.

11. Heroes Hall - Interesting idea. Is this based on something, or are all of these characters original? Either way, the idea of each character having their own trial for the player is pretty cool. Appreciate the unique enemies, although the bat doesn't seem to do any damage. Just needs a little more polish to make it a better experience.

12. Oasis Palace - I really want to rate this one higher on the list, but the level kind of got on my nerves after a while. There were many times I didn't know which direction I was supposed to go, and the tornadoes didn't always seem to carry me where I think they were supposed to. Not very fun to play through with Sonic, but it's better with other characters.

13. Overgrown Heights - I can tell a lot of hard work into making this, but I just find the level design annoying. Some springs don't seem to take you to where they're supposed to, so I had to use Tails to help me get around.

C TIER

14. Cluttered Cavern - I can tell a lot of work went into this level, and sometimes it really works. But other times, the level design feels very random and disjointed. The lava section at the end is the weakest, IMO. All the falling lava pillars seem placed randomly, and don't follow any recognizable pattern.

15. Crystal Cave - A simple, inoffensive level. But as someone who enjoys playing as Knuckles, I find your lack of climbable walls disturbing. lol

16. Wasteland Wilds - Not bad. Level design is fine. It's just a bit bland to look at.

17. Anteggtica - Not much to complain about. It's just a short and sweet level. Just needs a little more to let it stand out, and it's over too quick.

18. Concordian Coast - What's here is fine. Just needs to be longer.

19. Cyan Heights - Much too short, but has some good ideas.

F TIER

20. Magma Falls - Very confusing. I couldn't figure out how to finish the stage. I just got stuck and couldn't continue. Saw someone else finish it on stream, but I'm still not entirely sure what they did. On the plus side, it does feature complex geometry, which shows skill in designing.

21. Hypertower -
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back