SRB2 Wii Status Thread [Edited Nov. 22nd]

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you from the #srb2fun side of the internet already know, I have been working on a "package" based on Wii Linux since August that will bring our favorite Sonic fangame to Nintendo's latest console. The greatest challenge recently was RAM as I ran out of it whenever I executed the binary but recently I discovered a simple way to help that. The Wii Linux Kernel was updated on November 15th which increases the available ram in the OS to ~66MB when I previously had ~19MB. Huge change eh?

The video issues should all be ironed out as I have both a framebuffer videodriver and X11 videodriver available. I also know that sound works fine from running the game with no video at all.

Tomorrow I will patch my Linux kernel and try running the game with all the new RAM I'll have. Everything else looks fine so hopefully it won't crash when I try running the SRB2 binary again once I've updated everything tomorrow. Wish me luck!

In case you would need some sort of evidence that stuff is actually working I will give you a screenshot of me compiling a new version of SDL under a fluxbox window environment running on Wii Linux.
FLUXBOXWII.JPG

-November 21st, 2008
Quick EDIT: I do have beta testers ready and I am not accepting anymore, k?

EDIT 2: There will be a release on Monday if the binary works. Everything else is set.

I still can't belive that you managed to port SRB2 to the Wii. This is by far the most amazing thing I've seen from the community yet. I'm still wondering how you managed to pull this off with Alam.

Good luck on it nonetheless.

<Flame> Now we need a picture of you with the compiling process just for the laughs

SRB2 + Wii = The Best Thing Ever! But..how would this include WADs? (If it will). Would you, like, get them by Wii Updates or something? Or would you make like something that unlocks WADs?

light the elementa said:
SRB2 + Wii = The Best Thing Ever! But..how would this include WADs? (If it will). Would you, like, get them by Wii Updates or something? Or would you make like something that unlocks WADs?
A custom launcher will select WADS selected from the community's best work before the game starts. Remember that it will slow things down to an extent though.

I... can't... hold it... back... anymore!
[spoiler:21b0034a79="String of 4 image macros"]
win_button.jpg

united_we_win.jpg

epic-win.jpg

youwinsitehoaxrk6.png
[/spoiler:21b0034a79]

Isn't this cheating a tad, since you're really just optimizing the Linux build to run on WiiLinux...?

Unless, of course, I've missed something, which I probably have.

Cue said:
Isn't this cheating a tad, since you're really just optimizing the Linux build to run on WiiLinux...?

Unless, of course, I've missed something, which I probably have.
Yeah I guess... Getting anything video related to work was rather difficult though because the Wii uses a YUV coloring system unlike the standard RGB.

Do you have a mac and an iPod touch/iPhone? Hint hint port wanted. Those platforms run OSX, so does that also mean it's cheatable?

Back on topic.

This would be so cool if I had a wii. It almost makes me want one...

Spazzo said:
SRB2Wii? Weren't you working on Goober Wii already? =P
I don't remember Goober Wii... There will be a port of Goober's Labyrinth to the Wii at some point down the development line though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back