I really like that we now have a real honest to goodness Modern Sonic sprite in SRB2! The gameplay is fun and I like that you've added a rolling effect when you miss your homing target.

I love all the little dust effects as well as the speed lines and air wave that come up when you start and stop boostmode. The little squish of his spinball when he connects with a homing attack also looks very nice!

When I first saw the running animation I was a little put off by the fact that his fingers point downwards instead of inwards, and after playing it and actively looking at the sprite, it still does. I know some Modern Sonic art does that, even officially (Sonic Unleashed boxart and also Super Smash Bros.), but when I try to replicate it myself I feel strained and I don't think I could keep it up for very long. I would instead rotate them so the fingers point inwards towards his body instead as the in-game models do. I know I'm complaining about a fictional hedgehog and a pose that doesn't actually make you run any faster but dang does it look weird to me.

Another thing that came off as slightly sloppy to me is the fact that the 2/8 and 4/6 rotations on his running frames are specifically tilted manually in the sprite data itself, and he has no real diagonal running frames. I understand that this is a stylistic choice to replicate Sonic Colors, but the same effect could be pulled off in lua while the frames could be proper rotations. One way you could do it is checking if the player is in their run animations, that player.drawangle is the front or back of the sprite, and that they're holding up/down (player.cmd.forwardmove) and left/right (player.cmd.sidemove), and then changing player.mo.rollangle depending on the value of sidemove.

It reminds me of how SMS had a drift animation as his 2/8 sprites and that was like 10 years ago now? I know this puts a little more work on you after having finished the character but I would really like to see this change. The same can be said for the hurt animation. It looks fine when you're actually being hit by an enemy, but really strange when you're in a waterslide and Sonic is just flailing his arms at you for no reason. You could make a simple script that makes it play another animation instead of the normal one when getting hit by an enemy.

Overall I'm really amazed that this was finished as quickly as it was compared to when I first heard about it, but I would like to see some improvements in terms of character rotations.

EDIT: I just realised this character has lua and doesn't have the L in the filename. I'm surprised the judges didn't catch that

Last edited:
Ah, would it be possible to allow him to homing attack after hitting springs in a future update? It feels like he should be able to, especially since he can out of the fall frames during a homing chain.

Neo Sonic's homing attack can cause massive desynch in netgames. Hopefully can be fixed in a future update. Otherwise netgame use with this might start ceasing to exist.

OH my LAWD this is actually amazing! So much fun to use, and the boost mode is still one of the best mechanics Sonic can have. Loved it for Tripplejaz's Toei Sonic, love it even more here!

This is a really good character. I played through most of the game, and loved the way he controls. Fluid Movement paired with smooth animations is really makes you feel good. The Sonic Advance 2 Boost is also really fun when you get the hang of it.

Updated to v1.11.

V1.11:

• Homing Thok tweaks
    • Now has two strengths! Holding down the button as you land a homing thok results in a stronger bounce, at the cost of less speed.
    • Checks now rely on a more netplay-safe variable rather than clientside variables (oops I wasn't aware of this, this is what was probably causing the syncbombs)
    • Improved overall reliability/accuracy
  • Animation/Spritework tweaks
    • Added a set of diagonal running frames to help improve visual feedback to indicate the direction the player is moving.
    • Tilt running frames have been repurposed and only show if the player is moving slightly to the right/left.
    • Reduced the stiffness of the jump/homing attack by adding additional states to help improve overall animation flow.
    • Improved the look of the Boostmode particle, making it visible from multiple angles.

There is a bug where Neo Sonic's thok won't work properly if he is added in after other character wads/luas are added in. I've been having problems with it and its very noticeable in Steven's Server.

There is a bug where Neo Sonic's thok won't work properly if he is added in after other character wads/luas are added in. I've been having problems with it and its very noticeable in Steven's Server.

I pushed out a hotfix to correct this. It had to do with an unused/leftover function being left in one of the states. It should be fixed, now.

The file also now uses the proper "VCL_" prefix.
[V1.12 hotfix notes]

• Added proper VCL_ prefix.
  • Removed a conflicting function name that would break the thok if certain characters were loaded in.

This bounce on the homing thok is very fun and it lets you do a homing thok off of springs too. And I noticed a subtle animation change, he now shifts to falling frames if you just walk off something. That's nice. Two things though:

1. There's no check for if you're on the rocks in Red Volcano so he's just perpetually falling while standing on them.
2. Could he also go into his spring frames if you're going up after running off something like an incline? I had a mini script I made for the same purpose and I think it'd look really nice with his sprites.

Pushed one more hotfix to fix the RVZ rolling rock not playing the correct animation. Fall state behavior has also been improved. Should hopefully be the last patch for a while.

This is a great deal of fun. I played through practically the entire campaign with this mod, it's a blast to use. The homing attack and (EARNED) boost are so fun; it reminds me that the non-overpowered boost from Advance 2 was a great feature.

Visuals and spritework are outstanding!

Even if I'm not into momentum-keeping Homing Attacks, I think that the thing is pretty useful against bosses

Also, a smol tip: You can set a skidding frame without Lua scripts. Just add the intended sprite with a SKID sprite prefix and you'll be done
That should fix the spindashing bug related to the skidding frame

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back