How did you come across SRB2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I joined when the final demo was still being worked on, I was looking for fan games on Google and I found srb2 it looked interesting so i played it.
and so here I am now.

I was reading an old issue of Games Master & it was mention in the "We Love Old Games Part" so I decided to check it out. 2.0 came out later on. Rest's history.

Today marks the anniversary of the day I found and downloaded srb2. Well at least close to it. (I know it was somewhere in the beginning of march last year?)

I was in youtube and just found srb2 on 2010. Shame that I downloaded 1.09.4 instead of 2.0. I quit SRB2 on 2010, April but Continued it on 2011, March. Yay!

I was looking for "Fan Games" of NiGHTS into Dreams, and at Google found a video of "Spring Hill Zone" (Made by Callum).

So I found SRB2.org

a long road

started by playing trough the best of the best of sonic hacks for the genesis a long time ago as well as the megamix converted for sega cd. Saw that some people had made a 3d sonic game with use of the duke-nukem engine. It looked amazing, played not so amazing... then I found SRB2. I'll admit it didn't look as good graphically as the other one, but it played like a dream, and the level design was far superior, not to mention it was a finished product. I thank SEGA every day for coming up with the sonic franchise, so fans like these can make games that are just as timeless as the old games (and I repeat, THE OLD GAMES lol)

I was searching up some random sonic games to download onto a CD at school, and I hauled in S3&K. Because of the special stages I was adamant to find a downloadable 3D sonic game. And what whas that? SRB2 of course! It wasn't particuarly easy living with 1.09.4 (instability) but the superman joke kept me hooked, and now here I am with srb2 2.06. :D

I came across SRB2 when a friend started playing it, and I asked him if I could play. Of course, he said yes. That was a long time ago. It took like almost a half a year to get it on my computer, and I kept forgetting the name.

When I first found SRB2, it was on acid games. But I downloaded it from the offical site.

I found this game on http://sonic-robo-blast-2.en.softonic.com/ with the 1.8v. I played the game but there was no one online and I thought that "no one doesn't even play this game". So I deleted it then came back to it on 1.09.4 with and I thought this game was cool because on a certain time of the year (Christmas) it show me the Christmas Storyline. To only find out it was a wad that I go from a server LOL (I failed).

Long, long ago...

I was searching for the Sonic game "Neo Sonic Universe" on the internet. The site where I found it also featured SRB2.

The first SRB2 version I ever played was - i think - Final Demo 1.01. There was a fourth (alien?!) character called "Zim" avaiable in multiplayer mode (he was removed later) and there were extremely intelligent homing rings.
These homing rings were able to fly around corners and you even didn't have to aim because they simply flew in the direction of the nearest enemy! :o
The bomb rings were funny in this version: The "explosion" was a mass of red rings, flying across the map!
Also, the multiplayer game hosting was funny: Instead of having to select the gametype, you simply selected the level. "Secret" levels were shown, too (even if not unlocked)!
The level select was like this:

Code:
Greenflower Zone 1 (SCR)
Zero Ring Zone (MTA)
(Yes, the third "A" at Zero Ring Zone is for "Chaos mode". :D)

My favourite level was Block Factory Zone .

Some months later I found the official SRB2 website and downloaded the newest versions. The homing rings were nerfed a lot (no backwards shooting / shooting around corners anymore) and the explosion-red-ring-range was dramatically reduced. Multithok was removed (i think).

Also, the maximum of rings was reduced to poor 999 (I really tried this out; I did not know any cheats and I really collected 999 rings to see that there was a new limit - and I even didn't thought it was boring! :D ).

Then, later, 1.09 was released. I HATED it.
My favourite levels were removed, including Block Factory Zone. :o
I still love this level! It reminds me of the early days where I started playing SRB2! Really, if somebody "reanimates" Block Factory Zone, it still will be my favourite level!

So many things changed and I did not like most of those changes. I loved my good old SRB2 1.01! :D

Even later, 2.0 was released. Again, I hated some of the changes. Well, now I am happy that these changes were made and I am happily awaiting the next SRB2 version. =P

EDIT: Maybe you do not understand why I love Block Factory Zone. To understand this, you have to know that I was playing this map 1v1. It is a great 1v1 / 1v2 / 1v1v1 map, but maybe it is bad if you play with 4 or more players.

Last edited:
Block Factory was a Chaos map, and was removed along with the gametype because it doesn't work properly in match. Any decently good player can dominate the map in match by grabbing the non-random respawn Invincibility box at the top of the stage and returning to it every 30 seconds. Being invincible 2/3rds of the time in match is quite overpowering. To make things even worse, all of the Chaos stages have a shortage of rings in match because they were designed for a gametype based on surviving enemies, so giving the player massive amounts of rings was a bad thing. Even for 1v1, the Chaos maps were really quite awful for match. Also, Chaos was abbreviated "A". Trust me, I wrote that part of the game ^_~

What you're experiencing is the rose-tinted glasses effect, and most people have this issue for the first version of any game they play with regular updates. Any change is bad, even though frequently it's a dramatic improvement =P

Also, Chaos was abbreviated "A". Trust me, I wrote that part of the game ^_~
First it was abbreviated S, because C had already been taken by Coop. When Single Player became distinct from Coop, Single Player took S and Chaos became A before fading away altogether.

mirite?

First it was abbreviated S, because Sonikku originally had planned a gametype called Survivor mode that was very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back