Resource icon

[Open Assets] Mario Kart Double Dash Drifting (Multi-Tech Drifting)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

minenice

haha squid go nyrrrmmm
This Lua script gives SRB2Kart the Mario Kart Double Dash treatment, bringing in that game's drifting mechanics.

But that's not all! The script is complete with almost all of the advanced tech MKDD offers! Now you too can feel like GoombaNL, all while playing your favourite racing game!

Here's a quick overview:

To build up miniturbos, start a drift, then press the opposite direction three times.
View attachment kart0008.gif
As you can see, you can chain them to start snaking. But be careful! Starting a new drift will immediately cancel any previous miniturbo boost. On top of that, releasing a miniturbo will instantly kill any boost sneaker or boost panel effect. Spacing is key! A higher Weight stat will let you build up miniturbos faster, but they'll be shorter.

Want to take a long turn? Do a sideways boost! Start building up a miniturbo like before, but instead of pressing the opposite direction three times, do so twice. Then, hold in the direction of your drift.
View attachment kart0003.gif
Instead of immediately boosting forwards, you'll dash to the side, allowing you to take those wide turns with ease. A higher Weight stat will grant you a longer sideways boost.

What about the extremely tight corners? There's something for that too. When entering a hairpin turn or spiral, mash Drift as fast as you can.
View attachment kart0005.gif
Doing so will allow you to turn much sharper than normal. Try using R-Tech while under the effects of a Sneaker!

You can even build up MTs in mid air! Do so as usual, then, the moment you hit the ground, let 'er rip! Just don't spend too long flying without turning, or no boost will occur.
View attachment kart0002.gif
Does gravity seem off? That's because you're also fastfalling! To fastfall, hold Drift, plus Left or Right! Landing sooner has it's benefits, but be careful when to use it!

There's still plenty left to discover, try it out for yourself! Outswag your opponents with your rubber-burning knowledge!
View attachment kart0007.gif

- V.2: Improved general movement and hopefully resolved a bug involving netgames.

Attachments

• KL_MKDDdrifting_V2.lua
    11.7 KB · Views: 615
  • KL_MKDDdrifting_V1.lua
    12.5 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
This can go into releases, but holy hell, this thing cranks up your acceleration by like, a bajilliondy! I don't even think I used any actual miniturbos in this gif, yet I still go much higher speeds than normal if the speedometer is anything to go by. I can't say how accurate this is to Double Dash, but its interesting at any rate.

Attachments

• kart0111.gif
    kart0111.gif
    3.9 MB · Views: 766
As someone who used to play Double Dash religiously, and as someone who loves all the various Mario Kart mods for SRB2K floating around, I can safely say that yes! This is indeed very accurate to the original game, and am very happy to find this in my feed. Thanks for the beyond wonderful work with this!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back