Should Character WADs be banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
fawfulfan said:
I mean, the better a character is, the more popular it tends to be, doesn't it?

N00bs, the whole source of this problem, don't care about quality. They care about how overpowered it is.

:SonicMaster: said:
The large majority of them simply have no redeeming value. I know there are that do have value, like Dr. Pepper's WADs, but even then, they hardly even interest me.

Then get rid of Tails and Knuckles too. Since they don't really interest you and all.

Look, if you must ban them, at least don't ban them on the message board. Let people release them, even if you couldn't use them on the Master Server.

I don't think character WADs should be banned. Here is why: IF the final SRB2 release won't allow character WADs, my WAD collection will be of no use. But I don't like recolors that much, like their name, they are recolors. But besides that recolors change characters' special abilites and it looks weird...

fawfulfan said:
Character WADs are just as good as level WADs when the character is well made. I LOVE them. In fact, I am a sprite rip fan.
Characters can only change how you are able to interact with a given environment, they in no way possess as much importance as the levels themselves. If a level sucks, then the character itself won't be much more fun to use. :( That's like saying '06 is better than Sonic Unleashed because the character choices are superior...and we all know a huge playable character roster did not help that atrocious game suck any less than it did.

Also, sprite rips NEVER blend well with SRB2's art style, they look so out of place it's not even funny. >_>

Chrome said:
Then get rid of Tails and Knuckles too. Since they don't really interest you and all.
SonicMaster is a Tails fan last I checked. Also, it makes sense that SM is hardly interested in those WADs. He doesn't have a preference for Blaze, Amy, or Shadow. Sonic and Tails are more than enough for him. So why should SM be interested in custom character WADs when he already has the characters that he likes?

He already has characters he likes, but other people don't. Some people really like Metal Sonic or Shadow, and would like to play as them regaurdless of how different they may be. You made Blaze because you wanted to play as her, since she was one of your favorite characters, which is one reason why they should stay. If the only playable characters were Sonic and Knuckles, I would be happy, but other people might not be since some of there prefered characters are not in the game. I even have a friend who prefers to play as Shadow or Knuckles regaurdless of how different the gameplay is, he just doesn' t like Sonic, which is understandable.

I feel as though I'm rambling on, but getting rid of characters all together would spoil some of the great things about SRB2. Everyone likes STK, but would not want to always have to play only as them all the time.

Chrome, those characters are useful because they are the playable characters of Sonic 3 and Knuckles and are the three best characters of the franchise. Having a Sonic game trying to nod to the classics without those three makes no sense. They also all have use, and are thought of beforehand in level design, because they are the ones included in the game. Poison Palace was designed with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles in mind, but not Senku.

As I've said, at least still allow characters to be put on the message board. It's still creativity, little as it may be.

Incidentally, I think that character WADs' unoriginality is less the fault of the creators (though I admit they're not blameless) than the fault of SRB2 itself. It simply doesn't offer a wide range of character differences. Don't ban the WADs, just make SRB2 better.

I say characters wad should NOT be banned because to be frankly honest I get really tired of playing Sonic, Tails and Knuckles all the time.

Also different characters make it alot more fun.

And if you don't like servers that use those characters then don't join them.

Frankly, I could care less if I was playing as sonic, mario, or some kind of robot. Sonic's control scheme is my favorite, and I hardly ever use any other character. I would vote towards the banning of character wads, mainly because I focus on the levels, not the visual thing progressing through it. I mean, as long as it's controlling like Sonic, I'm happy.

Ice said:
I would vote towards the banning of character wads, mainly because I focus on the levels, not the visual thing progressing through it. I mean, as long as it's controlling like Sonic, I'm happy.

If you focus on levels and not focus on characters then why does it even mater to you to ban characters. Does that change what you are doing no because you wheren't focusing on characters in the first place and you where always playing as Sonic... Could you explain it a little more further because right now it dosen't make much scence. (I respect your opinion it just dosen't make much scence to ME.)

Exactly. Even if it's not an advantage to you, how is it bad that people are releasing characters? Seriously.

Ice said:
Frankly, I could care less if I was playing as sonic, mario, or some kind of robot. Sonic's control scheme is my favorite, and I hardly ever use any other character. I would vote towards the banning of character wads, mainly because I focus on the levels, not the visual thing progressing through it. I mean, as long as it's controlling like Sonic, I'm happy.
So SRB2 Sonic could look SRB1-style, or a triangular white blip on the screen, and you'd care less? Voting to ban character WADs simply because you already don't care what character you play as, or even what they look like for that matter, doesn't make that much sense to me. I don't care that much for custom multiplayer stages yet, but you don't see me wanting to ban them because I feel they're just as unnecessary as character WADs, the default MP maps are enough for me currently.

Also in my opinion Super Mystic Sonic actally dose have one disadvantage. He is harder to control then Sonic because of his speed, mostly in Mystic Realm. *coughandwithlaginnetgamescough* (It isn't saying much due to his multi thok, He is still cheap but he has at least one disadvantage) Also if you hate how he starts with all the emeralds then addfile srb2.srb AFTER adding super mystic but it removes the all the enemies and stuff. (And it dosen't take away from the fault of all the emeralds being there in the first place) I am fine with emerald start being in a SEPERATE WAD (Which there exists a few of them) but I feel it shouldn't be included with him. (It would discrease the number of people who use SMS as well) (If you still disagree then fine)

In response to the posts directed at me:

Yea, I really don't care what's visually progressing through the level. I tend to like gameplay>graphics in characters (though it's a different story with levels). Taking that statement to the extreme however, triangular white blip on the screen, is not exactly what I mean. What I'm getting at here is that new custom characters very rarely add anything to the gameplay. When they do however, it usually just makes the game too easy (like with homing thok), or just not fun (like the countless characters out there with the slow fall ability). I like the current selection of characters because they are balanced. I use the variety of sonic/tails/knuckles when in multiplayer, though usually to fit the design of the level.
However, in consideration to what I said about the banning of characters, I take that statement back. If there was a poll on this thing, I wouldn't vote. Taking away people's freedom to make/play/share character wads really wouldn't be my opinion to take part in.
I'm more of a level designer.

Sorry if I seemed like an ass in my last post.

Actally I was acting like an *** in my post as well sorry.

Also one character I am surprised no one has ever complained about to my knowledge (If I am wrong then please correct me) is Thunder the Fox. He is very cheap.. He has multijump.. Really all characters with the multijump are cheap but still.

I would state the fact that extra characters are the reason why I like other Sonic games being remade in SRB2. How else am I supposed to play S2K6 with Espio or someone else. If I was just using Sonic the game wouldn't be that much different. I feel that different characters kidna give ports more point. (Along with online multiplayer as well)

Look, if you don't like character WADs, don't download them, and don't join a netgame that has them. Who cares if other people like them?

Let me just clarify one thing though: I'm actually pretty neutral about banning them from the Master Server. What I'm vehemently opposed to is banning them from being released on the message board.

I'm sorry I misinterpreted your post to that extent, Ice, I just read "as long as it's controlling like Sonic" and went nuts. I should have taken more time to read it.
Ice said:
What I'm getting at here is that new custom characters very rarely add anything to the gameplay. When they do however, it usually just makes the game too easy (like with homing thok), or just not fun (like the countless characters out there with the slow fall ability). I like the current selection of characters because they are balanced. I use the variety of sonic/tails/knuckles when in multiplayer, though usually to fit the design of the level.
I see where you're getting at now. You just don't feel that custom characters are bringing much of anything new or interesting to the actual game play, as opposed to the already well balanced roster included with SRB2, and that's fine. It's mostly a preference towards specific characters that attract me to them, and I just deal with their disadvantages as I become more comfortable using the character.

Cue said:
A solution I see is to break old character wads in 1.1, not something massive, just something that will mean old releases would have to be re-released.

They do break because of 1.1's new palette (art screws up). That isn't hard to fix if you really want to try to, but shovelware WADders won't put in that much effort.

Making them look different is one thing, making them crash the game is another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back