Need wads to play online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadic

Sometimes when i click to join a game it gives an error saying i need some wads and that i can't dl them cuz they're too big but if i add wads to the game it won't let me join any game givin me a some sort of error saying "YOU HAVE WAD FILES LOADED AND/OR MODIFIED THE GAME IN SOME WAY. PLEASE RESTART SRB2 BEFORE CONNECTING" :? :? what should i do ???

If you want to join a game with wads loaded, you shouldn't add them yourself. They'll be added automatically when you join. However, you need to actually have the wads first: try looking in the Addons section of the main site, and on the Releases board here. Then, put them in the directory where SRB2 lives.

Why not make a option to remove all wads to make you able to join servers. Its SOOOoooo bugging me that I have to restart SRB2 everytime I tested out some wads and want join a server.

And I'm telling you people, because of the way the WAD format works, it's NOT POSSIBLE to unload WADs. No matter how many times you request the feature, it doesn't change how incredibly hard it would be to add the feature.

Just put "WAD unloader" in the same folder as "slopes" and "loops".

It's not going to happen.

Unloading WADs is perfectly possible: Alam coded a working DELFILE during the 1.09.3 stages, worked perfectly.

What you can't do is remove SOCs.

Consider the following case: you add a wad with a custom MAINCFG. This overwrites the default one and changes level names, etc. By removing wads, you can remove new lumps and recall the old ones, like removing a custom MAP01 and recalling GFZ1. What you can't do is recall sections of lumps, namely SOC lumps.

What this means is, until SOC removal is possible, DELFILE is sitting in the 'things STJr. would like to do but aren't important' box. So yeah, stop mentioning it -- it's not available for a reason.

I was under the impression that there isn't a good and logical way to do it because of the issue with knowing what lumps are modified and what aren't. Sure, you could simply reload MAP01 from srb2.srb, but how would the game know what came in from the WAD and what didn't? If I load, say, Mystic Realm, and unload it, how would SRB2 know that MAPA1 came from Mystic Realm?

As I said, it's like slopes. Possible, but simply NOT worth the effort, especially when in this case there is such a simple workaround. It's not hard to close SRB2 and reload it. Even my PII266 can do that in around 20 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back