Chiptune file support...

Saturn Ross

The Local Bird-Brain
So, as I was brainstorming for a map, I decided I wanted to use some chiptune files for music- specifically, VGM Genesis music, for that SEGA feel. Only one issue. I imported some tracks to play over default levels as I play through them looking for inspiration and it hits me- the VGM music is missing instruments, most notably the drums. I loaded in some other formats as well, where both NSF and SPC files played flawlessly, but VGM is missing those drums no matter the track I load in.

Is it because I imported the VGM overtop other files in Slade to skip renaming? I don't think so given NSF and SPC worked just fine like that. What's the *real* issue going on here?

Would you mind linking the sega genesis VGMs in question that you're using? I think I might know the problem.

Here's the artist, JX's Drive link! I haven't settled on any particular tracks to use, aside from one of my own commissions. This also has their other chiptune files.

Ahhh yep, thought so.

So, there's actually a minor bug with GME -- the library that SRB2 uses to play chiptunes -- and afaik it only affects VGMs. That is: If a VGM was made in Deflemask, and it uses the YM2612's DAC channel to play sampled audio, that sound channel just straight-up won't be heard. And JX works almost exclusively in Deflemask.

Your alternative, unfortunately, is to just record the chiptune to an .ogg file yourself instead. Personally, I use Audacity for that purpose. I can show you how if you're interested.

Ahh, that's a shame, I was hoping to learn a program like that myself. Perhaps the bug will be fixed in a future version, perhaps not, but this isn't the thread to talk about that, aha.

Also, thank you for the offer! I remember having used Audacity to record sound from the computer itself, but I forgot the method entirely! I'd be happy to hear how!

Also, thank you for the offer! I remember having used Audacity to record sound from the computer itself, but I forgot the method entirely! I'd be happy to hear how!
So, in Audacity, below your Toolbar all the way to the left, there should be a dropdown box next to where you select your Microphone/Input. There should be a selection in that box called "Windows WASAPI" (if it isn't there, let me know). Select that, and then you should be able to select your Audio Output device (e.g. speakers, headphones, etc) from within your Microphone/Input field as if it were an Input device (in other words it allows you to perform a loopback). From here, if you press Record and then play any sort of audio on your computer, you should see it pop up in the waveform as the recording progresses. From there you can just trim the audio until you get what you want.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back