This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

MarioFreak2001

that one gal
I decided to dip my toes in the level creating waters and made this little level.
It's a short and easy level with not many hazards.
Now with a second act!

attachment.php

Update v1.1: You can now play this level from a fresh save.

Update v2: The water now has colormaps and I've tweaked the level design a little bit and made some parts look nicer.

Update v3: Added a new route and made a very tiny adjustment to the big outdoor area.

Update v4: Slightly extended the ending and added more details.

Update v5: Added a lot more details, very slightly tweaked the level design, added some small secret areas, and changed some textures.

Update v6: Emerald Valley is now almost a full zone with a second act! Also act 1 got a slightly different level select image.

Music is Sunrise Gate Act 1 and 2 from Sonic Overture.

Attachments

• srb20041.png
    srb20041.png
    152.2 KB · Views: 780
  • srb20060.gif
    srb20060.gif
    2.6 MB · Views: 898
  • srb20039-ev.png
    srb20039-ev.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 2,806
  • srb20133.png
    srb20133.png
    73 KB · Views: 16,674
  • srb20156.png
    srb20156.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 7,975
  • VS_EmeraldValley-v6.pk3
    5.2 MB · Views: 9,580
Last edited:
This is actually what it promises. Short, sweet, few hazards (though I did get hit three times by crawlas somehow), but there's one issue I need to address about this map.
attachment.php

When you reach this section, a spring is stuck in the wall, flashing. This is very minor, but it does bug me.

Attachments

• srb20066.gif
    srb20066.gif
    4.8 MB · Views: 15,130
Dang this looks cool. The appearance of this reminds me of those SM64 rom hacks where they re-interpret a level, but use the same assets as the original stage, making it feel weeeirdly familiar.

I still can't imagine what your face looked like when I told you Zone Builder made auto-backups. An absolutely outstanding map!

Hint: You can set the stage that your singleplayer campaign starts on by using SPStage_Start in your MainCFG lump! Just put it at the start by itself. You can also specify various other things using this lump besides just level headers!

Been trying to load this but it keeps giving me an error message. Went to check the console log and it says this:

0974287e4f4177208dfa8840720a10c3.png

Hmm.

Not loading for me either. And when I open the file with SLADE, it shows up as completely empty!

What the hell? Something must've went wrong when uploading the updated file. I'll try to fix it soon.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

The issue has been fixed.

Of all the levels, this one just straight up won't work for me!
lEIufox

jFLKoVL

Short, but fun. It is exactly what a first time Zone Builder user should aim for, something that is not too ambitious to start with (so as to learn to use the various features and mechanics properly). I say this as someone who also fairly recently picked up custom level making.

You are also doing another thing right in my opinion, honing your skills by iterating on the level instead of trying to make a bunch more right away. Keep going, maybe one of the next steps would be to extend the length with a new section.

Ok this is the last update for real.

Update v5: Added a lot more details, very slightly tweaked the level design, added some small secret areas, and changed some textures.

A fine level!

What is there to say about this map that hasn't been said? It's short, sweet, and to the point- It feels like a tutorial map with how it makes use of almost every major monitor type at least once, as well as how it introduces water, slopes, and standard terrain into the mix with ease as if it was always there.

Really, Benji, you've outdone yourself with this map. It's also the first one I've played multiple times over, especially to see the updates you've done to it. After playing the first version you released, and seeing V5, it almost feels like a shame it's not an official map- It's got a good sense of spectacle, and a good sense of speed with a straight-forward run not taking too long. However, it does also have it's fair share of secrets alongside the Knuckles/Amy routes- So I can absolutely say that this is a great map! Maybe it's not the most unique, but you took what you wanted and made a very pretty, fun map overall. Nice job all around!

I lied v5 wasn't the last update hehehe.

Say hello to Emerald Valley Act 2!

attachment.php

Just in case you thought Act 1 was too short and wanted a little more.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back