Suggestions

I'd like to request an option to make the player camera intangible.

I realize this will have some issues, particularly in software mode, but it would open up some opportunities for camera customization in OpenGL that I would really appreciate.

Perhaps it could only be toggled on as an option in OGL and immediately togged off if OGL is toggled off while it's on? Also I feel like if the camera was to be made intangible, the best way to do it would be to make it so if the camera goes into a spot where there is a wall or something similar between the camera and the player character, it is rendered either transparent or invisible.

The only potential problem I can think of with this is that it might cause the player to feel as though they have more room to run around in than they really do and bump into walls. That would be preferable to losing sight of the player character entirely however.

Kart has dealt with an intangible camera just fine. It's ugly in Software, but IMO the alternative is far, far worse.

I think in vanilla's case it's more of a gray area; Kart maps tend to be wide open with plenty of environmental scenery blocking the player from the thok barrier, whereas in many vanilla maps the player can be touching that thok barrier at any given moment. Even if the player has redraw turned on to avoid HOM, players can look at parts of the terrain from outside the map that maybe they're not supposed to.

I'm still inclined to agree with your point in spite of that. Now that our camera is more zoomed, it's even more of a problem than it used to be. We don't use the camera intangible sector anywhere near enough for this to not be an issue, so any translucent surface, tight passageway, or tiny stick of a sector will cause the camera to flip out, and it really drives me up the fucking wall sometimes.

What I hate the most about this is that we're in a position with orbitcam and 3D models to start experimenting with top-down and isometric viewpoints as part of the experience, but the camera tangibility makes it impossible to zoom out the camera enough to where this would be useful without serious side effects.

I'd love to mess with this more for myself, but lua has pretty restricted camera functionality, so I feel like this would be a job relegated for someone with the hardcoding skills.

Admittedly that column was something I intended to make intangible to the camera ages ago and just forgot to. That is a feature we have.

A few suggestions:

1) I appreciate that you people incorporated Fickle's camera mod into the latest version, but could you split the "Turn to ability" option into "Turn to flight" and "Turn to glide"? Because I found that my sweet spot in the slider is different for Tails and Knuckles. Setting it low is ideal for Knuckles but makes the feature nigh useless for Tails' flight. Setting it high works the best for Tails, but makes Knuckles' glide too unwieldy. As a result, I find myself changing the slider's value every time I swap between Tails and Knuckles.

2) When you're climbing a wall as Knuckles and jump off it, the camera does a quick 180º turn. This always throws me off. Could you give us the option to disable this behavior, or change how fast it turns? Perhaps a slider for it could be added to Camera settings?

3) How about letting us adjust settings in Record Attack mode too?

4) And how about letting us access Emblem Hints (once unlocked) in RA too? I'm currently doing the ring emblems and emblem hunting simultaneously, and the former can only be done in RA.

Last edited:
2) When you're climbing a wall as Knuckles and jump off it, the camera does a quick 180º turn. This always throws me off. Could you give us the option to disable this behavior, or change how fast it turns? Perhaps a slider for it could be added to Camera settings?

You can already do this by pressing SPIN instead of JUMP to exit off of the wall.

I think this behavior was considered more useful when Knuckles was unable to turn the camera while climbing, but nowadays I think there's a stronger argument for the inverse button mapping.

You can already do this by pressing SPIN instead of JUMP to exit off of the wall.

I think this behavior was considered more useful when Knuckles was unable to turn the camera while climbing, but nowadays I think there's a stronger argument for the inverse button mapping.
Ah, fair enough.

I mentioned this idea once before but I don't think anyone replied to it or anything so I figured I would mention it again just in case it didn't get noticed. An idea I had a while back is to make it so after you clear the main campaign on a save slot, you are given the option to change the player color when loading that save. You could, for example, play as Purple Sonic. When playing as Sonic and Tails, you can choose the color of both.

You would still need to play through the campaign with default colors the first time through, it would just be an option for cleared save slots.

I would be more interested in having Kart's ability to quick select the default skin palette in multiplayer.

A Hotkey to open up "Player Setup" to speed up selecting characters/ colours and names.

(I know i can just Keybind it but it would be a nice touch to have in vanilla)

Prehaps pressing a F1-12 key to open it up?

Since the "simple" control option is hidden behind a few menus, I think it would be best to ask the player which control scheme they'd like to use the first time they press a button at the title screen, the first time they ever boot the game. Additionally I think the mode should be called "cam assist" to avoid making it look like some kind of baby mode.

Last edited:
Since the "simple" control option is hidden behind a few menus, I think it would be best to ask the player which control scheme they'd like to use the first time they press a button at the title screen, the first time they ever boot the game. Additionally I think the mode should be called "cam assist" to avoid making it look like some kind of baby mode.

To add on to this, I feel like all three modes should be covered in the tutorial. If not actually used, then at least pointed out with instructions on how to switch which mode you are in.

Can you devs please give us the ability to save our progress (or at least the Chaos Emeralds) in split-screen co-op? I can understand disabling saving in online, but I don't think it should cause issues in local. Or simply let us use our single player saves in local split-screen co-op.

It sucks losing all collected Emeralds upon closing the game, and there's just no way I can convince my friend to go through the whole campaign in one go.

Something I think would be convenient is if the Levels section in releases was divided into subsections for single player and multiplayer so that those who only want one or the other can find them easier.

Maybe you developers could give us the option of locking/unlocking the mouse for menus? Probably by pressing F5?

Last edited:
Maybe you developers could give us the option of locking/unlocking the mouse? Probably by pressing F5?
The "Options" > "Player 1 Controls" > "Mouse Options..." > "Use Mouse" setting controls whether the game grabs the mouse.

Setting it to "Off" makes it never grab the mouse, while "On" makes it grab the mouse while in-game.

(You can use the "alwaysgrabmouse" console variable to make it also grab the mouse while a menu is open, though this is still affected by whether that first setting is enabled in the first place.)

Just two minor suggestions:
  • Flags that hover around the player after they finish the level shouldn't show up in Singleplayer.
  • playersforexit should allow us to specify exactly how many players need to finish the level instead of just one or all, If the value is higher than the current number of players the game would auto-exit the level.

I have three suggestions for ficklecam's targetting system:

• Stay locked onto bosses regardless of their damage state. It unnecessarily disrupts immersion and player orientation, and the mechanic is only necessary against Sea Egg.
  • Add a menu/console variable which adjust the amount of z-angling the lock-on mechanic does to follow its target ("none", "half", "full")
  • Allow players to be targetted in PvP modes (at least custom, if not ringslinger); unlock player targets when they fall out of view.

[...] playersforexit should allow us to specify exactly how many players need to finish the level instead of just one or all, If the value is higher than the current number of players the game would auto-exit the level.
While the following is not an exact amount, since it's a fraction of the server's current player count, you can also set "playersforexit" to "1/4", "Half", or "3/4" to require 25%, 50%, or 75%, respectively, of all players to reach the end, not just "One" or "All".

Stay locked onto bosses regardless of their damage state. It unnecessarily disrupts immersion and player orientation, and the mechanic is only necessary against Sea Egg.

Personally I would prefer it to lock on via button press, and then not unlock until you press again. It's inconvenient needing to hold it, but it would also be inconvenient being unable to look where you want whenever you feel like it.

I would also have it work on bosses regardless of which direction the player is facing, and only lock onto the main boss and not other entities while the boss is present. This way it would be a simple matter of pressing the button when you want the camera to face the boss, pressing it again when you want to look around, and then being able to focus back on the boss in an instant without having to find where the boss is again.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back