This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Green Park will no longer be updated on this thread. Go here to see future updates with the map: https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=45089

Say hello to Green Park! Race your way through this giant park as the time of the day changes in later segments of the map! This map is inspired by a heavily unfinished 3 Act zone with the same name that I'm making for a mod in vanilla 2.1. I started progress with this map all the back in May of this year and finished the layout for this a long time ago, but thanks to some big feedback by Blitz-T and Super Chris, I have fixed up the level design flaws in it to fit 2.1 Kart standards. Another huge thanks goes to both of them for helping me test this map out in a netgame.

Feedback would be very helpful.

Attachments

• kart0005.gif
    kart0005.gif
    2.4 MB · Views: 604
  • kart0006.gif
    kart0006.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 553
  • kart0007.gif
    kart0007.gif
    5.7 MB · Views: 502
  • kart0007.png
    kart0007.png
    266.6 KB · Views: 364
  • kr_GreenPark_v2.1.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 521
Last edited:
I want to start by saying that I really enjoyed this map. I played through it multiple times on both normal and hard and think it's both fun to play and really visually appealing. But I do have a few criticisms with it since you asked for feedback.

-There's two points where I thought the turning arrows weren't clear enough, which caused me to hesitate a bit on my first run through. At the very start they're high up on a wall, so I did not see them. Typically you'd be looking straight ahead when playing, so having the arrows so high above eye level makes them less noticeable. It also doesn't help that the finish line obscures them a bit.

On this turn a log is blocking the arrows which makes it difficult to see them as you're first approaching. How bad this is depends on the angle you come from, but it definitely threw me off a bit.

VFFlPno.png

Outside of that I had no problems figuring out where to go on a blind run.

-The right hedge here is longer than the left, and blocks more of the road. It's much easier to take this turn on the left, while on the right you have to approach it at a bit of a weird angle.
sOnVKPm.png

-The speed shoe shortcut near the end doesn't actually save time. On normal mode staying on the road and just using your speed shoes there takes about the same amount of time. On hard mode taking the turn without speed shoes is the same as taking the shortcut with speed shoes. Possibly putting an up-facing spring at the end of the ramp might make this shortcut actually save time.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

-I found it a bit odd that the fountain water doesn't let you bounce. Bouncing slows you down a lot, so you would still get penalized for just barely making the jump without just making you die outright. I can still understand the decision to make it instant death so this doesn't really bother me.

-The night to day transition at the end was a bit abrupt. I was expecting it to happen as I exited the tunnel rather than down the road. You did something similar with day to sunset but since those times are actually near each other it didn't feel that odd. Going from night to midday with no morning is a bit weird to see.

Outside of all that, I really liked this level.

Last edited:
I want to start by saying that I really enjoyed this map. I played through it multiple times on both normal and hard and think it's both fun to play and really visually appealing. But I do have a few criticisms with it since you asked for feedback.

-There's two points where I thought the turning arrows weren't clear enough, which caused me to hesitate a bit on my first run through. At the very start they're high up on a wall, so I did not see them. Typically you'd be looking straight ahead when playing, so having the arrows so high above eye level makes them less noticeable. It also doesn't help that the finish line obscures them a bit.

On this turn a log is blocking the arrows which makes it difficult to see them as you're first approaching. How bad this is depends on the angle you come from, but it definitely threw me off a bit.

VFFlPno.png

Outside of that I had no problems figuring out where to go on a blind run.

-The right hedge here is longer than the left, and blocks more of the road. It's much easier to take this turn on the left, while on the right you have to approach it at a bit of a weird angle.
sOnVKPm.png

-The speed shoe shortcut near the end doesn't actually save time. On normal mode staying on the road and just using your speed shoes there takes about the same amount of time. On hard mode taking the turn without speed shoes is the same as taking the shortcut with speed shoes. Possibly putting an up-facing spring at the end of the ramp might make this shortcut actually save time.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

-I found it a bit odd that the fountain water doesn't let you bounce. Bouncing slows you down a lot, so you would still get penalized for just barely making the jump without just making you die outright. I can still understand the decision to make it instant death so this doesn't really bother me.

-The night to day transition at the end was a bit abrupt. I was expecting it to happen as I exited the tunnel rather than down the road. You did something similar with day to sunset but since those times are actually near each other it didn't feel that odd. Going from night to midday with no morning is a bit weird to see.

Outside of all that, I really liked this level.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! For your last piece of feedback, I actually never thought about that until now. I'll be sure to take your criticisms into consideration in the next update.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! For your last piece of feedback, I actually never thought about that until now. I'll be sure to take your criticisms into consideration in the next update.
Whatever changes you decide to make, I'm looking forward to the next update. It's all just suggestions, so if you disagree on anything that's cool.

I couldn't think of any examples before, but this ramp near the end of Vanilla Hotel is about what I was saying when I suggested tweaking the last shortcut. I'm not 100% sure but I think it'd probably speed it up a bit. The spring type here (which I forgot are called bouncepads) also gives you decent air control which is nice since you're in a tunnel. And if not I'm sure you can figure something out.
giphy.gif

Good luck!

Last edited:
Green Park has been updated!

CHANGES:
- The arrows at the starting area have been lowered.
- Added in some extra slopes to prevent blind turns.
- The final shortcut has been edited.
- A few tree stumps have been changed.
- Added a daytime transition.

The level is looking a lot better now, especially the shortcut. My suggestion was just a quick fix if you didn't feel like changing too much, but I was glad to see you did something more.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back