[Open Assets] Horizontal Springs

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

DirkTheHusky

Team Kinetic RPG
Horizontal Springs have made their way to 2.1! Same mechanic seen in the classic sonic games, but unfortunately, you can't go very fast after you hit those springs while running. However, spinning or spindashing at them will make you go fast according to the spring color.

attachment.php

Blue spring: The weakest of the 3. Will only send you running at very low speed. So running into those springs is pretty useless.

Yellow spring: The medium powered of the 3. Will send you running at bit over your average speed.

Red spring: The strongest of the 3. Will send you flying at very high speed. Spindashing into them is very handy, but be careful at timing your jump.

attachment.php

Object numbers to place them in your maps.
Thing 558 - Yellow Horizontal Spring
Thing 559 - Red Horizontal Spring
Thing 560 - Blue Horizontal Spring

Credits
DirkTheHusky - Spring sprites
Lach - Lua scripting

Have fun with this!

Attachments

• srb20005.png
    srb20005.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 4,130
  • srb20015.gif
    srb20015.gif
    4.8 MB · Views: 734
  • srb20016.gif
    srb20016.gif
    492.9 KB · Views: 692
  • srb20018.gif
    srb20018.gif
    4.7 MB · Views: 4,327
  • horizontalsprings.zip
    9.6 KB · Views: 854
Last edited:
Looks sick! Makes me wonder why it took so long to get these in SRB2 :)

Good work guys!

Boing

Looks sick! Makes me wonder why it took so long to get these in SRB2 :)

Good work guys!

There was never a real need for horizontal springs before Slopes.

In fact, people used to call me crazy for spriting Horizontal springs for 2.2 back when me and Roach redid all spring sprites.

OH MY GOD!
I'll be putting it on my maps!
this is so simple, why did you took so long for having this idea?

this is so simple, why did you took so long for having this idea?

The idea has been around for ages—it's just that nobody has bothered to make decent sprites for it until now.

Last edited:
This is great fun to mess around with and I can't wait to see people using these in maps! It's such a shame that they break analog mode when you spin into them.

VuMYSxB.gif

I've received reports from other players about the springs also resetting a player's IT status in tag/HnS, as well as causing players to use their charability if they are jumped into while jump is held. My conclusion is that somehow the springs are resetting the player flags (as that is where PF_TAGIT and PF_ANALOGMODE are stored), potentially among other important player variables.

It's been confirmed by a developer that this is an issue with the game internally and not a fault on my or Dirk's part. I'm currently experimenting to see if I can fix the issues with a little bit of Lua which players can choose to include with their maps if they see fit, but I can't guarantee anything will work just yet.

Hi everyone!

Many users have reported bugs where these horizontal springs caused certain issues when spinning or jumping into them, such as losing the IT status in Tag, removing analog mode, or activating the character's double jump ability. This Lua script fixes those issues! If you're making a map with these springs or any other kind of horizontal thruster I highly recommend including this script as a lump. If you want your map to remain solely SOC-coded so as to not load up the Lua interface, the issues are mostly overlookable so don't worry too much about it—unless you're making a map for Tag/HnS.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fhg4a1g1dlrx9j0/LUA_HSPR.lua?dl=0

You can also add this file as a standalone in netgames should you wish to fix these issues in previously released maps! (For instance, Glaber's map in SUBARASHII uses dash panels that replicate the issues above.)

I would like to say thank you dearly for offering this lua up for public use. I'll be sure to provide credit when I use this code in maps!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back