srb2.exe isn't a virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
2vuyo00.jpg
When I extract the patch of 2.1.20, my computer warns me of a TROJAN virus. And srb2win.exe is the affected file.

Yeah, assuming you got that from the srb2.org downloads page, it's definitely a false positive. This isn't a new thing for SRB2 to be mistakenly accused of being a trojan or virus etc, but for whatever reason 2.1.20 in particular seems to have been flagged a lot by these things recently. =V

If you can, just tell your antivirus to ignore it or whatever is needed.

Okay somebody needs to fix this and fix it fast. Do you really want people coming here to try this game and then get turned off because it has virus warning? I spent like 30 minutes trying to figure out why this happening and finally found this page here. I rarely get to do this game and it wasted lot of precious time for me because of this thing deleting srb2win constantly. Hopefully you all can get this straightened out for 2.1.21 update.

It's not the developers' fault the game looks like a virus. If an application isn't recognized by your antivirus program (and since SRB2 is not an official game, there's no way it could be recognized) and it can't be determined whether the file is harmful or not, it still has to decide whether to flag it as a virus. Since it's better to be safe than sorry, the antivirus program tells you the file could be a virus. You know it's not, so you can tell the antivirus program that's it's fine via whitelist. The game's been in development for 20 years now—if it were easily feasible to make the game not look like a virus it would have been done by now.

SRB2 crashing systems

Yeah I think SRB2 is a virus because it crashed my systems.

When I was playing into a server, my laptop get frozen nowhere, Everything were completely frozen expect the music, I couldn't get out of the game because my desktop was frozen too, I couldn't move my mouse or get out via keyboard, I just waited for about a minute or two then I forcily shut downed my laptop.
Then I waited for about 10 minutes to get relaxed. When I opened my laptop, It showed me that text :

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.2.7(11/02/10)

Check cable connection!
PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- Insert a boot disk and press any key

And when I press any key, That text shows again with a weird computer sound "TUUTUUTUUTUU"
Then I found out that my HDD device is crashed because it's not shown on my devices list. That's what it's shown on the BOIS :
Boot priordy order :
1 - ATAPI CDROM
2 - USB FDD
3 - Network Boot
4 - USB HDD
5 - USB CDROM

That's what all of what happened, Now I can't use my laptop again because I can't boot my windows. All I was just using is SRB2, I was playing on MK.exe's Server.

In addition, When the fixer repaired my laptop, I found out that I was gotten a new HDD while the old one is now a junk He says. Anyways when I play SRB2 multiplayer again, I was on Man553's server, I was normally playing then again that froze happened, I didn't wanted to do a force shutdown for now on, I just waited for about a hour then it responded again, it didn't trash my system again, so I'm not going to play netgames anymore, I'll play netgames some days.

That sounds like a hardware failure.

Again, SRB2 is not a virus. We've stated this literally thousands of times. If you want proof, not only is our source code open for you to look through, just look at the Sonic Gather Battle stupidity to see what happens when a fan game really is malicious.

We do need to figure out what has Windows Defender's panties in a wad about 2.1.20, though. Normally when it's a false positive it's a really overzealous antivirus, not something mainstream.

I don't remember if I asked this already, but does this happen for both the srb2win.exe from the patch zip and the srb2win.exe from the full installation?

It's happen to srb2win.exe from the patch white the last downloading from the full installation was 2.1.15 Version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back