• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

(CANCELED) Sonic: Gear One

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know. I'm MAKING the levels out of order, though. Oh, and a new demo.

Demo download hereness.

Yeah, I'm just waiting for someone to say '"OMG SA1 LOST WRLD RIPOFF BANBANBAN!!!1" You need to download to see what I mean. Not posting images this time! =)

It turns out the Skims are more evil than previously thought... Except in netgames. By the way, I need some people to test out the other starts for me. If you see a netgame with Labyrinth Test in the name, join just so I can test out the starts. I NEED this testing done soon so I can make adjustments to the speed pads, which I suspect may be faulty!

HOLY CRAP
I wasn't expecting much from this level pack but DAMN! That was great!
Bridge Zone was fun as hell and the house thing was nice...
And Labrinth Zone 1 so far is really well done as well!
Why can't more people make maps like this?
Keep at this PLEASE, there are a few minor nickpicks (Like the water at the beginning of Birdge Zone being a death pit) but overall this is the most promising thing I have seen in awhile.

And you sure are cranking it out fast!

Prime 2.0 said:
Am I the only one who noticed that thing collision broke in half of bridge zone act 3? Because it did.

... I was wondering the same thing, actually.

Hey, I have just tried this wad. Its actually great!
I enjoyed playing the bridge levels, I thought the springs were really well done and accurate.

The levels had nice scenery and enemies too... I liked that.

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to work on this lately. My grandpa is in the hospital for pneumonia and a heart attack. That really sucks. I barely have had any time to work on it. I'll get back to work on Labyrinth Act 1 as soon as I can.

EDIT: Screwy collision? Oh, you mean the boss becomes intangible. I bet by changing the boss, I could fix that. Let me try that.

EDIT: Fixed. The problem was that the Egg Capsule sectors were too far away. That was a bugfix from when I kept seeing them, though they were far separated from the Thok Barrier. I moved the arena 2 times its width to the right, and now the whole problem is fixed. Would you like me to upload a demo?

Kroze convinced my to play through this, and I must say, I'm impressed. It actually seems to follow the basic rules of level design, though the levels are a little plain and lack realistic walls (by realistic, I mean not having most of everything flat and straight), it seems to be pretty neat. It's too bad there's no way to zoom out the camera in 2D mode, it makes the special stages awful hard.
Areas you've got down:
- Basic concepts of level design
- Enemy placement, you didn't go crazily overboard like some people do.
Areas to improve:
- Less 90° turns, a little more realism. Though maybe you're trying to go for this because it's based off a Game Gear game? Not sure. This is mostly in Act 2, actually. Act 1 seems to be fine.
- The stairs in the first level are too steep for Sonic to run over at full speed.
- Decoration. Outdoor areas are fine, but indoor areas are a bit on the bland side. (I can understand this, it is just a beta/demo, after all.

Good job so far! ;)

Shuffle said:
for this because it's based off a Game Gear game?
I don't think it is really based off the game.
The bridge 1 is a nomal level with falling bridges and the second one is a scrolling level.

Shuffle said:
- It's too bad there's no way to zoom out the camera in 2D mode, it makes the special stages awful hard.
Just go a bit slowly, and learn about where things are. You never got through all of the official special stages/SRB2 special stages in one try, did you? (Well, unless you used Team Chaotix or cheated...)

- Less 90° turns, a little more realism. Though maybe you're trying to go for this because it's based off a Game Gear game? Not sure. This is mostly in Act 2, actually. Act 1 seems to be fine.
The 90 degree turns are just because they're easier to get a perfect rectangle for the bridges, and because the bridge top textures would look all screwy if I did, say, 35 degree bridges. You can see what I mean with the pipes that Sonic's Emblem is on in THZ1.

- The stairs in the first level are too steep for Sonic to run over at full speed.
I think if I made the steps smaller or made the slope longer he'd be fine. At least it looks a bit more like a slope than some things. Anyways, is Sonic supposed to run over the big slopes at full speed in the official levels? (3D games not included.)

- Decoration. Outdoor areas are fine, but indoor areas are a bit on the bland side. (I can understand this, it is just a beta/demo, after all.)
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Should I go with more waterfalls and useless objects or something?

Good job so far! ;)
Thanks! I was just going to get back to work on Labyrinth Zone Act 1. If you went MAP MAP10 or hosted a co-op/race stage with it, you would be able to try it out. Your comments seemed to have nothing to do with Labyrinth, just Bridge.

Chaos said:
Shuffle said:
for this because it's based off a Game Gear game?
I don't think it is really based off the game.
The bridge 1 is a nomal level with falling bridges and the second one is a scrolling level.

Oh, it's really based of Sonic 1 Game Gear. It's more inspiration than following the levels down to the letter. Emulating official levels, especially those in 2D, is a bad idea for me. Heck, my first level was an emulated level and could be a 2D level anyways!

I seriously never thought that I would get such high praise for this. I hope to eventually get something as good as Mystic Realm (Or at the very least, one level short and about half as much well-knownness.)

I'll be trying to work on this at school, so you'll know where I last worked on it.
SRB2FFH: Home.
Sendspace: *recoils in horror* School. I'll reupload it to SRB2FFH as soon as I get home.
Most of this will be without new posts, and will just be silently added to the front page.

Did anyone find the Emerald Token in Act 2 of Bridge Zone? Those spikeballs are there for a reason, you know.

It's easier to find in OpenGL, but OpenGL causes graphical glitches. The slopes are less slanty now, and are more forgiving for Sonic.

So, anyone going to comment/be critical of Labyrinth? It's going great, and I'm about to wrap up Act 1.

Train Tracks FTW!
Personally, I have been talking a lot how awesome Labrinth Zone 1 was so far....
The circle room is fun just cause I like to play chicken and kill the fishies in the pool there without falling into the death pit below them...
I do wanna see where the train tracks lead.
You will post it when you finish it... yes?

Glad you enjoy them. I won't spoil where they lead, but you have to come off the tracks at some point. Sadly, it's not really very far from where they were last demo since I'm getting close to finishing, but they'll pop up multiple times. I would like to make the boss for this a scrolling one where you have to ride atop mine carts to hit Eggy, but I can't figure out how to get the ties to scroll separately from the ground. I could have the rails sunken in, but that leaves the issue of the mine carts...

Act 2 will be focused more on the tracks. Underwater tracks ahead! Look out for the next update.

I won't let this die, even if I have to double post!

So, yeah, I ran out of ideas for Labyrinth. Therefore, I decided to work on other levels. One is a replacement for NiGHTS, which I dubbed Sky Pinball. The other is no other than Green Hill Zone! They both lack scenery and such.

Here be the link to the treasure. Arr.

So if I lose interest, I can always work on the Match levels that are sorely needed.

I like it. I like it a lot.

It was a very well built pack.

Issues I noticed were few...
One was that Bridge zone used water texture on the floor, which doesn't look right.

Another was the overuse of springs. It's not hard to just jump through the holes where the springs are set up.

Don't have 4 layers of water in GHZ. It just looks bad that way.

Other then those, yes it was fun. But next time, consider finishing the levels you have set up as the first ones in Single Player, hm? ;)

Not constructive much, but I'm actually on the run as I type this. If I find the time, I'll write up some more later.

Dark Warrior said:
I like it. I like it a lot.

It was a very well built pack.

Issues I noticed were few...
One was that Bridge zone used water texture on the floor, which doesn't look right.
It's supposed to be like the light reflected to the bottom of an almost still pool.

Another was the overuse of springs. It's not hard to just jump through the holes where the springs are set up.
Sure, but springs are more fun. Besides, it's kind of a stalling tactic and it shows how much springs can work in unison. They make a 30 second level seem much longer.

Don't have 4 layers of water in GHZ. It just looks bad that way.
Should I cut it down to 2? One layer is too transparent, but an opaque layer doesn't look right.

Other then those, yes it was fun. But next time, consider finishing the levels you have set up as the first ones in Single Player, hm? ;)
Yeeaaaah, I kind of got side-tracked at the beginning. It's just the blasted ADHD.

Not constructive much, but I'm actually on the run as I type this. If I find the time, I'll write up some more later.

I'm just wondering which boss I should have for Zone 5. I don't want the spikeball one, I want something different. Perhaps someone can SOC a new boss? I'm absolute rubbish at SOCcing. Something new. I need to know how to add a SOC into a WAD, anyways.

Hmmm... Which zone/act was that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back