• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

(CANCELED) Sonic: Gear One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boinciel

ヒトデのパンと不思議なジャム
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Judge
CANCELED.

Download Eternal Beta

Well, that's it. I'm canning this. I had such hopes for it, and my skills let me down. I had too many maps planned, and I could never finish them all.
-Grassy Ridge Zone... It was just too flat. The Green Hill theme didn't help a bit.
-Pine Canyon Zone? Act 1 had a horrible midsection. I couldn't save it.
-Forest Ruins Zone. I started on Act 1 but that was it. There weren't enough ideas coming through to finish it.
-Flooded Mine Zone Act 1 got restarted, but only got so far. I just didn't have any more ideas...
-Crumbling Base Zone was a great idea, but a lack of suitable crumbly textures brought it down.
-Grand Airship Zone never saw the light. It got as far as a turret but that was it.
-Rocket Citadel Zone was planned, but never even got a concept map.
-MAP30, my last hope, was a LEGO themed zone. I tried to recreate several sets, but I never got to anything that was fun to play through...

Go ahead and play through all I was able to accomplish.

No offense, but emulating the classic games is pretty much a terrible idea. If I wanted to play one of the classics, I'd boot up an emulator. If I wanted to do so with another character, I'd go get a hack.

If you wanted a SRB2 emulation of those games, you could get someone to do it. However, the levels are LOOSELY BASED, if based at all, on the original levels. They're more like guidelines than actual following everything down to the letter.
Bridge Zone is based on bridges, obviously, but that's as far as I'm going. It quickly proceeds into an underground cavern full of evilness.

OpenGL mode is better for screenshots, because the pictures don't stretch when you look up and down too far.

Stupidly, my graphics card is older than my computer (probably even older than the Doom Legacy engine) so I can't run it.

Those levels look really nice, are you going to include the original music and title screen too?

No. I'll find the most fitting SRB2 music possible just to spare those on dialup. The room to the left of the second screenshot now has a cool spring pattern, boosting you into a room in the wall on the right.

Boinciel said:
No. I'll find the most fitting SRB2 music possible just to spare those on dialup. The room to the left of the second screenshot now has a cool spring pattern, boosting you into a room in the wall on the right.
I'm not quite sure SRB2 players use dial-up, since the game itself is pretty big anyway, and you can't play multiplayer on dial-up.

Besides just convert the music to OGG, and compress it down. I think iTunes has a mass-compressing feature.

If you really want, you can release the levels in one WAD, and the music in another. So if people don't want the music, then they don't have to download it.

I'll Begin said:
Boinciel said:
I'm not quite sure SRB2 players use dial-up, since the game itself is pretty big anyway, and you can't play multiplayer on dial-up.

Besides just convert the music to OGG, and compress it down. I think iTunes has a mass-compressing feature.

If you really want, you can release the levels in one WAD, and the music in another. So if people don't want the music, then they don't have to download it.

I know of a few people in my small community that play on dialup, so I want to be music-friendly. Besides, I'm not sure how to import music.

Side note: In a twist, I have decided to make the special stages 2D as homage to the original game. There were originally no special stages for Emeralds, but the hiding places I can come up with are only good enough for Emerald Tokens, not real Chaos Emeralds.

To I'll Begin: This is the fourth level in the original Game Gear game. I'm starting in the middle so I don't get so much criticism for Green Hill Zone.

To Chaos: I know. Just keeping things loosely based is enough reason to keep the name. In the second act, Sonic will leave the cavern, and the boss at the end will be Egg Slimer, and you will fight him while standing on two parallell bridges. They seem similar to the firing objects extent, so why not just use that boss?

Double post, but UPDATE!

The Boss Arena for Bridge Zone is finished. I had to pull off work on the other project first, but now it's speeding ahead. The first Special Stage is just an introduction to get used to the controls, so there you go. It will be slightly longer later on. Bridge Zone Act 1 is quite large now and wrapping up, with two paths to take.

Go ahead and try it... If you dare!

EDIT: I admit that I did steal the Egg Trap Capsule from MAP03 in the main game. It's complicated to make one, so I just nicked it.

Haven't made it yet. Act 1 isn't finished, so I didn't bother.

Boinciel said:
EDIT: I admit that I did steal the Egg Trap Capsule from MAP03 in the main game. It's complicated to make one, so I just nicked it.
I see nothing wrong with that. I wind up doing that by nicking it from my first boss map (Old Halloween act 3)

Not much of an update, but Bridge Zone 1 is finished. Act 2 is in the works, and you can get a little taste of what act-to-act finishes will be like. You will always start from the end sign, unless you move on to another zone. Since I completed Act 3 before starting Act 2, the design on Act 3 is not finalized.

You know the drill.

Any comments/suggestions/ideas? Level length not to your liking? Enemies too sparse? Just post your opinions.

(Normally I'd be cracking down on the SS64 beta, but it isn't working right, so I thought I'd do this wad a little justice.)

Level design was awsome. Loved the layout. Some of the spring designs were a bit unneeded, but worked fine.

I eventually tucked my tail between my legs and ran, because Sonic just kinda...ouched.

The tokens were fun, but easy to find. Maybe its just because I map also. The special stage was very comical. I liked it.

I found it a tad annoying to have to warp to MAP06, but when I got there, I couldn't stay on long enough to win. You might want to make it possible to actually win when he starts his pogo and he inevitably falls down into the water. Eggman can still work on that, ya know.

I would recomend using springs to fly over to his platform. If you played my SS64 Green Valley Zone, that's a good example of how it might work. Maybe spring that propel you out of the water onto the platform.

BlueZero4 said:
(Normally I'd be cracking down on the SS64 beta, but it isn't working right, so I thought I'd do this wad a little justice.)

Level design was awsome. Loved the layout. Some of the spring designs were a bit unneeded, but worked fine.
Thanks! It isn't all that easy to get those springs in the right combinations!

I eventually tucked my tail between my legs and ran, because Sonic just kinda...ouched.
Ouched?

The tokens were fun, but easy to find. Maybe its just because I map also. The special stage was very comical. I liked it.
That was just an introductory special stage. The rest will be longer and harder.

I found it a tad annoying to have to warp to MAP06, but when I got there, I couldn't stay on long enough to win. You might want to make it possible to actually win when he starts his pogo and he inevitably falls down into the water. Eggman can still work on that, ya know.
Thanks for the input. I'll change the layout a bit so there are four bridges, and Eggman is on an island in the middle.

I would recomend using springs to fly over to his platform. If you played my SS64 Green Valley Zone, that's a good example of how it might work. Maybe spring that propel you out of the water onto the platform.
I'll make that work when I get the end for Act 2 done.

Orange=my replies to the above statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back