This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Bug report: ZB disallows negative numbers for tags, which matters since a tag of -1 supposedly applies an effect to the entire map.

EDIT: Tagging it as 65535 has the same effect, though. Of course it does
Yeah, you're supposed to use 65535. To my knowledge, SRB2DB is the only editor that accepts negative tags, and even then it just converts them to the corresponding positive unsigned tag immediately. I might do something like that too at some point, but for now I've just changed all mentions of it on the wiki so that it tells you to use 65535.

Alright. We got $Sprite and $Name for custom Things. Though... Can we expect $Extra, $Flip, $Special, $Ambush, and/or $Angle in the future?
Probably not, unless I'm really bored one day. As you said, when it comes to custom Things you made yourself, you'll probably remember what all the fields mean anyway. And if you've got a mod with a lot of custom Things, you're probably better off writing a new config file for it.

Can you bring back the FOF Creation tool that was once available in SRB2DB1 ?
I might add something that makes it easier to set up custom FOFs at some point, but for regular FOFs? No. I don't see how it would be very useful considering how easy they are to make.

Last edited:
I should stop you there MK.exe, Romio wasn't referring to a tool for making sloped FOFs (I think?).

Let's go back a decade or so into history... Once upon a time in SRB2DB1, there was a little FOF wizard that allowed people to set up FOFs and have even the control sectors done for them. It even provided a few pre-set FOF texture/colormap setups so I recall. There was just one problem: it was built for 1.09.4's FOF specials, and due to Oogaland not being able to update SRB2DB1 by the release of 2.0 (which incidentally threw away all the old thing/linedef/sector type numbers for completely new ones) ...it became obsolete, lol.

...anyway, it's probably possible to provide a tool to create sloped FOFs more easily, but I can't imagine how much hell MascaraSnake would have to go through to code that in, heh.

Yeah, you're supposed to use 65535. To my knowledge, SRB2DB is the only editor that accepts negative tags, and even then it just converts them to the corresponding positive unsigned tag immediately. I might do something like that too at some point, but for now I've just changed all mentions of it on the wiki so that it tells you to use 65535.
This is more of a feature request than anything, but... you know the tag labels that nobody in the community knew ZB had? Is it possible to programmatically add some default tag labels for things like "Apply to Everything" and those other magic numbers that are somewhere in the source? I could see that being really handy. (And hey, maybe it'll show people that tag labels are a thing lol)

Last edited:
So, uhm... About $Name for custom things... Using a custom Lua thing, I think I've found an issue (Edit: In version 2.4 of ZB). How do I put in spaces?

If I use //$Name Blue Diagonal Spring, Zone Builder will throw an error about Diagonal being an unknown object definition parameter (and then the object is unusable).
If I use //$Name "Blue Diagonal Spring", the quotes will show up in the name, which I don't deem intended, as //$Name Blue_Diagonal_Spring doesn't show the quotes (while the underscores remain as underscores).

Haven't tried a SOC object, but if I need to use SOC to make a custom object have a space in its name, I'd deem that an issue too. Not quite a bug, but still an issue, like an inconvenience.
Personally, I'd go with the entire line being the name (such that quotes are not necessary for spaces, while you can still use quotes in the name if you want).

Last edited:
Question\Suggestion: In SRB2 Doombuilder, when you went to test the map, the window for game config came up on the testing tab before allowing you to continue.

Is there any way to do this with Zone Builder?

It would technically be possible, but I don't see the point, considering that you can save and select different testing configurations. I'd rather have the user do a few extra clicks when they actually want to change their testing settings than force them to click away that window every time they want to test.

I've not built any maps in Sonic Robo Blast 2 in ages, but since this has been updated quite a lot. I've decided just to check it out. Since I'm very used to how Doom Builder 2 works. And I must say this is one nifty builder that actually works without giving me any hassles compared to the original Sonic Robo Blast 2 Builder, which is still unbearable now that I've use Doom Builder 2 for so long.

With Zone Builder created, this might actually motivate me to build some nifty zones again, due to it being extremely easy now then it used to be.

I honestly can't really recommend any ideas to you nor have I've seen any bugs yet within the current build. So pretty much I can simply consider this pretty amazing and hope to someday soon get into building some levels again.

It would technically be possible, but I don't see the point, considering that you can save and select different testing configurations. I'd rather have the user do a few extra clicks when they actually want to change their testing settings than force them to click away that window every time they want to test.
It may be a bit extra work, but I can live with it.

Maybe make it an option to have a dialogue pop up to set the settings before launching the game?

Personally, I really appreciate how it already functions. No unnecessary extra clicks every time.
Besides, what stuff would you like that has unique parameters every single time? Can't you just make multiple test configurations for SRB2, and use the drop-down list beside the play/test button to select the appropriate configuration?
(I have a configuration for testing as Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles, and can easily switch between them through the drop-down list if I want, without extra clicks if I don't want to switch.)

I should stop you there MK.exe, Romio wasn't referring to a tool for making sloped FOFs (I think?).

Yes i was talking about a tool to make FOF creation easier just like how it was in SRB2DB1, We just had to select the sector we want our FOF in and choose FOF Type and textures, and the editor auto-generates control sectors/sidedefs needed for the FOF to work .

EDIT : This would help dealing with FOFs easier especially if we had to make FOFs over FOFs .

Sloping a FOF is easy and doesn't need any tool .

Last edited:
Then you can also live with the extra work of opening the Preferences window when you want to change your testing settings.
That's the extra work I was talking about. Not the extra work you'd have to do to implement the function.

I would have said something else if that's what I meant.

Maybe I should have said "...Extra work for me..." instead of cutting it off after "work".

Last edited:
No, I just didn't clarify originally. The old way was convenient for me, but I can adapt to how Zone Builder works.

Uno petición, por favor.

1CiiL45.png
l4rVuOv.jpg

In-game, when you use Repeat Midtextures and also apply a vertical offset, the texture will only repeat away from its pegging (so downward if the line isn't Lower Unpegged, and upward if it is), which is really useful for placing tall texture effects that don't fill the entire wall. ZB's visual mode doesn't reflect this, and defaults to rendering the texture across the entire wall, which is inconvenient when I'm trying to line up the effect. It'd be nice if this reflected what the game rendered more accurately.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back