SONIC the Hedgehog: Final Nail in Sonic's Coffin?

Sonic NextGen: What do you think?

• It was good... nothing "amazing"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was bad... not quite what I was expecting

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the time, I thought weapons would work quite nicely in a Sonic game. I still do, really; SRB2's match mode is a wonderful example of this. Not to say that I think weapons belong in a Sonic game, but moral issues aside, I'm all for a fast-paced shooter. The concept simply wasn't applied properly in Shadow.

Ritz said:
At the time, I thought weapons would work quite nicely in a Sonic game I still do, really; SRB2's match mode is a wonderful example of this. Not to say that I think weapons belong in a Sonic game, but moral issues aside, I'm all for a fast-paced shooter. The concept simply wasn't applied properly in Shadow.

The way SRB2 demonstrated weapons in a Sonic game could quite possibly pull sonic out of this horrific situation next gen and shadow have set for him. If Sega were to actually be able to get the hint, they would stop focusing on minimum 3 new characters per game, and concentrate on a new gameplay mechanic that, assuming it was executed well, might bring Sonic back from this "dead" state he has been put in.

It's a gameplay mechanic that really doesn't belong in a Sonic game; it works well, but the proper control setup is a tad too complex for a console game, and the Sonic series has always been a stickler for simplicity. That, and it's too difficult for the average gamer to master. There's no way Sonic Team would be able to implement anything of the sort without ruining the game.

To be honest, I found the control scheme for Shadow to be intuitive considering the weapons. The gameplay itself just wasn't all that great. Then again, it would be nastily hard to get something like that working well.

The control scheme for the (Non-melee) weapons was fine, they just didn't add anything to the gameplay. If you're going to add such a controversial gameplay mechanic to game like this, it had damn well better be worth my time/fun.

Ritz said:
It's a gameplay mechanic that really doesn't belong in a Sonic game; it works well, but the proper control setup is a tad too complex for a console game, and the Sonic series has always been a stickler for simplicity. That, and it's too difficult for the average gamer to master. There's no way Sonic Team would be able to implement anything of the sort without ruining the game.
Too complex? We're talking a fast-paced first person shooter. Mabye the SRB2 implementation is complex, but I don't think it's that complex of a control setup. It's simply getting used to it with a gamepad or controller, I can assume.

I still feel that the way Sonic Team managed to pull off adventure fields is one of the worst gameplay mechanics they could of done and even going as far as. I do agree with you that they would ruin the series with it, if they already haven't with their attemps ala Shadow.

Wow, it's nice to actually see an intelligent conversation here once in a while.

I can't really say much about Sonic 06 or Shadow, since I haven't played them. But, I must say, I am very turned off by the reviews. Sonic Next-Gen averaged with a 49. And a 45 for Shadow the Hedgehog.

Being a classic Sonic fan, I probably won't waste 60$ on Sonic the Hedgehog. I think it's in insult for Sonic Team to use the same name as the first Sonic game. I hear it's nothing like the original games, just more of the same old stuff. I think Sonic Rivals will be my final Sonic game. If I hear good things from Sonic WildFire, that's a possibility.

I like how the trailers and crap said that Sonic was being "redefined" for the next generation. According to most of the reviews, he was just rehashed with better graphics. But I haven't really played the game, so I can't give my real opinion on it just yet..

REVIEWS MEAN NOTHING!

Just because a review says it's crap, doesn't mean that it IS. Litening to reviews means that you're a conformist and can't think for yourself.

TimberWolf said:
REVIEWS MEAN NOTHING!

Just because a review says it's crap, doesn't mean that it IS.

Agreed, but only because you said "a" review, my dear fanboy. About 22 negative reviews made me not like it.

Bigboi said:
TimberWolf said:
REVIEWS MEAN NOTHING!

Just because a review says it's crap, doesn't mean that it IS.

Agreed, but only because you said "a" review, my dear fanboy. About 22 negative reviews made me not like it.

Those are the people that don't like it. Play it yourself, my dear conformist.

Well, I hated Sonic Heroes and love the classic games. Do you think I'd like Sonic 06? I sure as hell don't.

Bigboi said:
Well, I hated Sonic Heroes and love the classic games. Do you think I'd like Sonic 06? I sure as hell don't.

SO you're saying all the Next-Gen games are crap?

I played Shadow once, and I own Heroes. They were both abysmal.

Bigboi said:
I played Shadow once, and I own Heroes. They were both abysmal.

abysmal

1 very great; limitless; "abysmal misery"; "abysmal stupidity"

2 extremely or hopelessly bad or severe: abysmal ignorance; abysmal poverty.

Definitions taken from Dictionary.com

Let me tell you something:

I wrote a review for a website that me, Boinciel and Spazzo all go to(it's down right now due to the server doing something)for Shadow the Hedgehog.

I wrote it in an attempt to show everybody that it DOESN'T suck. Becuase, guess what, every other review there said it did.

I wrote it with my opinion. I wrote it so that people would see that not everybody hated it.

So, what're you gonna do now? I'm ready for flaming.

It seems like you just want to stir up some shit because I have a different opinion than you. You like the current Sonic games, and I don't. I'm not going to flame anyone because of that.

Well, except for Omega. I like to screw with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back