This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Ok I was going to shrug off the lag mentioned earlier as maybe my pc isn't powerful enough either, but when you compare having just this script loaded:
https://imgur.com/a/bgSMgRK
to having all these other lua-based mods loaded:
https://imgur.com/a/UtpoPUT
You have to wonder what's causing the lag to happen with this one. Perhaps you have a MobjThinker hook that runs for all objects?

While yes, there is still lag in the second set of gifs, ACZ is nearly unplayable due to how low the framerate drops when this mod is loaded compared to loading all the others.

Last edited:
Perhaps you have a MobjThinker hook that runs for all objects?
No. The largest section of the lua is a MobjThinker hook specifically for MT_PLAYER, which is being changed into a PlayerThink hook for v2 once 2.2.1 is out. I can't reproduce any framerate drops on my end either way though.

Last edited:
I recently cleaned my PC and I can't tell if my frame rate slightly increased by the game or by my PC. Either way, I will admit that the frame rate for CEZ2 on my end went from 8 FPS to 16-19 FPS. Tell me: what does this build do exactly?

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

OK. So now I think there is no difference. Other than that this makes certain levels lag more. When enabling this the normal framerate for CEZ2 on my end is around 8-18 FPS. But when running the normal version and disabling it from my AMD Graphics Config, CEZ2 runs at 18-26 FPS (sometimes almost perfect framerate for a split-second).

I think Amy should only bounce that high if you hold the button, because it's kinda weird when you go extremely high when you're not trying to. I get this helps with Amy speedruns, but still. You could nerf it if you think it needs to. I'm probably in the minority. As i'm the only one with a wrong mindset.

The issue is you're already struggling to run the game at full FPS with nothing loaded, and as I stated earlier, this script is rather large. None of those who tested this prior to release had any issues with frame drops either.
You'll just have to hope the optimisations I've made for v2 improve the performance because there's not much I can really do to troubleshoot that.

Last edited:
I have a request for v2. Would it be possible to separate the changes into different Lua lumps? It'd make it easier to tinker with this.

On the other hand... add console commands to have insta-shield be activated by pressing A in midair, or other random customizable options... why would you want it activated with A? Well, because you could. Just a suggestion
Console commands are awesome yo.
Also could you tweak the bubble shield from Sonic 3 to keep your momentum instead of deleting it when bouncing?
random suggestions to maybe implement
oh and also maybe buff fire shield move

Nope. I swear, it's this lua. I've tried even bigger luas (up to 66 kB) and CEZ2 ran at 35 FPS as normally. It seems that removing the Insta-Shield puts it to normally.

Last edited:
Bug: The instashield doesn't work properly after launching yourself off of the CEZ swings. The instashield sound plays but neither the instashield hitbox or its graphic show up.

I love these revisions but I do think the different changes (shield changes, individual character ability tweaks etc.) should somehow be separated so that it would be possible to pick and choose which ones to have active. Like, the shield edits alone could just be its own mod without the character stuff.

Version 2 is now available. Note that this update requires at least patch 2.2.1 to function. It will not work in 2.2.0.

~Changelog~

Nospin characters can use their ability while taking springs.

Twinspin refreshes after a 5/8 second cooldown instead of upon striking an enemy. This is technically a reversion since it's how 2.1 Rosy's twinspin worked, albeit with a slightly shorter cooldown this time.

Instashield is now bound to Sonic's skin instead of to thok. This should increase compatibility with other mods.

Rebound cuts momentum upon impact. This prevents the ability from being a strictly better version of the ground attack.

Bubble Bounce reduces momentum upon impact instead of canceling it on use.

✓ Instashield not working after launching from a CEZ chain
✓ Knuckles occasionally getting speed capped after gliding into a spring
✓ Elemental Stomp not canceling when bounced upwards (This is vanilla behavior but it's stupid)
✓ Ash Shield damage checks

Last edited:
I actually had a similar idea to the "Hammer Flip" (which i assume "rebound" is based off of), as in if you press A after hitting the ground with the hammer, you could leap forward (instead of upward) and gain momentum.
That and hammering a spring forcing Amy to be in ball form would be good, as springs are a lot of times placed in front of slopes, so Amy can use them... that or you can just use Cobalt's Momentum Mod... or Rumai's classic if that works, then again that removes thok so i never use it casually, since thok is a casual dream.
Same reason I don't use the peelout, Alt Sonic has something like the peelout, but doesnt have the peelout run animation, and you can only move after the stars glow around you as opposed to whenever you want, like a spindash (or amy's peelout in advance 2).
I kinda exploded about ideas for Amy in the suggestions forum. I mainly kinda liked the idea of Amy having a crouch for custom1, i suppose thats already out the window for the actual game, but as a mod maybe. Anyway a Hammer Jump thats activated by crouching and pressing spin would be balanced, as it wouldn't be as mobile as Fang's bounce. Amy having a "sorta roll" by using the Big Step [Amy does a hop] (crouch + jump) and then pressing spin during that would make Amy fall on her face and have a semi-roll thing... i mean it pulls from her first playable appearance in a 2D game.

I'm not asking for this in here, as that'd be a SUPER big change, but maybe the spin when hammering a spring may be good enough, as that allows Amy to use a lot more slopes than she previously could in vanilla srb2. Also makes it so some mods that want to use slopes can have a spring there, Or a mod that ALREADY has a spring before a slope, will make the level more doable with Amy.
I like the idea of a nerfed hammer jump, to where its more situational, instead of Amy having super good mobility, and skipping most jumps with it. She can move after performing the move, but she has to come to a complete stop, making it less like Fang's gameplay. And just more balanced in general. Maybe it'd be as good as Amy with the Whirlwind jump, I don't want you to give the player too much height.
[Random Amy Ideas]

Last edited:
I made a quick fix to v2 resolving a few issues with Metal Sonic.

While I'm here, have some prerelease trivia: The new Force Stop's initial draft in was an ability that knocked away nearby enemies and reflected projectiles. It looked neat, but wasn't very useful in practice.
attachment.php

An experiment with giving Amy a vault ability after impacting the ground with a twinspin. It didn't really suit her gameplay so I wound up removing it.
attachment.php

Also, the Elemental Shield is supposed to have a lava form in addition to its underwater form, but as anyone who has gone surfing in RVZ1 can attest to, SRB2 is not very good at detecting when you're touching lava.

Attachments

• srb20022.gif
    srb20022.gif
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,015
  • srb20006.gif
    srb20006.gif
    2 MB · Views: 1,392
Last edited:
Yeah I expected the Vault ability to be slightly faster to execute, and go much less distance, just for gaining momentum. Hammer Flip but instead of up, you go forward or wherever you're facing, like a vault.
I also agree the force shield reflecting projectiles looks neat.
BTW the vault ability, i expected to be able to be executed by pressing jump in the middle of hammering the ground or a badnik or whatever. Basically just for making hammering enemies less slow... then again you reduced the hammer lag so idk if this is needed anymore.

I liked the idea of a hammer vault though, and I'm glad you experimented and came to your own conclusion. I just want to know if hammering a spring making amy in her spin frames is even possible with lua, i mean i know lua isn't very limited, but it'd probably be pretty difficult.

Last edited:
You got rid of the Whirlwind Shield's little cosmetic updraft thing :(

The Flame Aura now resets when hitting an enemy during a dash. This isn't mentioned as a feature anywhere so I assume it's the code for the Attraction Shield's reusable homing seeping through. The Bubble Wrap is also kinda busted - the bounce animation no longer plays, it plows straight through enemies instead of bouncing off of them and the character can be seen in their standing/walking frames for a split second (if you mash fast enough, you can even get a spindash started, though it doesn't do anything).

I'm also curious about this code:
Code:
if (inflictor) and (inflictor.valid) and (inflictor.player) and (inflictor.player.charflags & SF_NOJUMPDAMAGE) and (inflictor.player.pflags & PF_JUMPED) and not (inflictor.player.charflags & SF_STOMPDAMAGE)
	if not (inflictor.player.panim == PA_ABILITY) and not (inflictor.player.panim == PA_ROLL) and not inflictor.player.powers[pw_invulnerability] and not inflictor.player.powers[pw_super]
		if not inflictor.player.powers[pw_flashing]
			P_DamageMobj(inflictor, sonic, sonic)
		end
		return false
	end
end
Is that supposed to be for the Battle mod?

Version 3 is now available. This fixes several bugs and includes a few changes that were supposed to be in Version 2.

I'm also curious about this code:
That's code related to a scrapped feature which wasn't actually meant to be in there except I somehow saved a WIP version of v2 over the final version right before I released it and didn't notice. As you can imagine, there were quite a few things that didn't function correctly. The shields should be in working order now.

Also, I removed the whirlwind particles because they looked rather half-baked. I do think the shield needs a fancier effect but I've decided that's outside the scope of this script.

Possible Whirlwind flourish?

I do think the shield needs a fancier effect but I've decided that's outside the scope of this script.

Yeah, it would be nice to have at least some minor change for Whirlwind to not feel left out, even if only aesthetic. Maybe it could at least put the player into their spring-launched sprites? Perhaps force the character's direction (but not momentum) to spin while mid-double-jump as well, but I can see that part being an issue to some extent.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back