Robotnik or Eggman?

Robotnik or Eggman?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaotix

Profile Est. 2005
Which name do you prefer? I Personaly like to call him Robotnik. It was his original name, and was a part of Sonic's roots. Eggman, I think, is retarded for his name. It just doesnot make cents to me that he calls HIMSELF eggman now. That sounds like one of the insults that Sonic would throw at him in the old shows and comics. I realize he sometimes still refers to himself as Robotnik, but that is just him being formal, he still calls himself Eggman the majority of the time.

Even SRB2 calls him Eggman, though they are using the idea of the original, short spiked Sonic...

I loved it when sonic would run by and call him eggman, and robuttnik, and such.

What do you think?

I call him Eggman. And yeah, they originally called him Eggman in Japan. Those silly Japanese people.

He was going to be called Eggman in BOTH North Amerca, Europe and Japan, but legal issues prevented him from being called Eggman in North America.

However, they decided to bring all 3 together by calling him Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik from the SA series on, hence why Maria and Gerald are called Maria and Gerald ROBOTNIK, instead of the uber-retardedly sounding Maria and Gerald Eggman.

It also settles the discussion of what Eggmans full name is. You also didn't add an "I like both" and "I don't like either" option.

Thus, this thread and this poll are useless. *shot*

Sonic is mostly a western property and Robotnik was the original name over in the western world so I call him Dr. Robotnik. :) Plus is just sounds cool...

Theres something about the name Robotnik that is just so much more respectable then Eggman. Lets face it while the Japanese called him Eggman from the start i just think Robotnik suits him more, with his cunning plan of taking over the world with robots! (Although cunning is not quite the suitable word)

Besides. Whenever i hear Eggman i always think of an egg with a cape.

I say eggman... Why?

Because his body is in the shape and proportion of an egg...

Plus the name Eggman, makes him sound like a Fat tub of shit, Which I like to reffer to eggman as... XD

TimberWolf said:
He was going to be called Eggman in BOTH North Amerca, Europe and Japan, but legal issues prevented him from being called Eggman in North America.

However, they decided to bring all 3 together by calling him Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik from the SA series on, hence why Maria and Gerald are called Maria and Gerald ROBOTNIK, instead of the uber-retardedly sounding Maria and Gerald Eggman.

It also settles the discussion of what Eggmans full name is. You also didn't add an "I like both" and "I don't like either" option.

Thus, this thread and this poll are useless. *shot*
I guess everyone missed this uber-long post. I feel insulted.

TimberWolf said:
I guess everyone pretty much knew the stuff in this not particularly long post. I feel insulted.
Fixed.

Seriously, it's been known for a while that it was changed to Robotnik in America, and it was always Eggman in Japan. Doesn't really matter how they do it, but they've basically started using them interchangeably now and that's fine. It's like when they fixed Mario's localization and just randomly changed Princess Toadstool's name to Peach, despite the fact that it was always Peach in Japan.

Wikipiedia said:
Naming variations
Eggman has been known by several names. In the Japanese games, he has always been known simply as "Dr. Eggman". In all games released in America and Europe up to Sonic Adventure, however, he was known as "Dr. Robotnik".

Both names slipped occasionally in all regions. For example, Sonic the Hedgehog 2's Wing Fortress Zone and Sonic Drift 2 only had Eggman, Sonic Triple Trouble had a stage called Robotnik Winter Zone, and Sonic Jam had both names, as his profile was Robotnik and his statue next to Sonic said Eggman on it. In one episode of the American animated series Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog Tails said "Guess again EGGMAN!" to Robotnik. This was probably meant as an insult, given his round physique, but it could also have been a Sega in-joke.

In Sonic Adventure, however, Sega began a process of getting the American and European gaming communities to use the Japanese name. Initially, both names were used, and he referred to himself as Robotnik while others called him "Eggman". In the sequel, Sonic Adventure 2, when he is announcing that he is taking over the world, he refers himself as Dr. "Eggman", but in the background are the words "Robotnik Empire". In later games, and also in the English dub of Sonic X, the name Robotnik was dropped almost entirely, though it can still be found on some promotional material and in the French Sonic X dub. In the Japanese version of Sonic X his eyecatch profile card gives his name as: "ROBOTNIK (Dr. Eggman)". Also, most airboards in the game Sonic Riders were built by Robotnik Corp.

In the SatAM cartoon and Archie Comics, his first name is Julian, with his full name in the Archie Comics being 'Julian Kintobor of the house of Ivo'. Kintobor is also the surname used by all his known relatives in the comic save for those from Sonic Adventure 2 (see below), as his nephew and niece (Snively and Hope, respectively) both have the last name Kintobor, itself being 'Robotnik' spelled backwards.

General consensus now is that his surname is Robotnik (which is different from his official name), and his official name is Eggman [4] [5] [6]. This is supported by the surnames of his relatives, Gerald Robotnik and Maria Robotnik.

According to "Sonic Channel", the official Japanese Sonic website, Eggman is a nickname and his true name is listed as "unknown". [1]

Edit:
What about Eggman NEGA? He is my favoirite.
The idea of Eggman NEGA was ok untill Sonic Team tried to tie him in with Next Gen's future story line.

Mystic said:
It's like when they fixed Mario's localization and just randomly changed Princess Toadstool's name to Peach, despite the fact that it was always Peach in Japan.
They actually still call Bowser "Koopa" in Japan, I think. They pointlessly changed it over here somewhere along the line..

Dr. Robotnik sounds totally and uncompromisingly evil. Just like Eggman makes him sound like a tub of lard.

Shuffle said:
They actually still call Bowser "Koopa" in Japan, I think. They pointlessly changed it over here somewhere along the line..
Yeah, he's "King Koopa" in Japan. They occasionally call him that over here, but his name is still Bowser. I wish they'd deal with it, but it's such a minor issue I guess they decided it just wasn't worth the effort.

Jurai_Madman said:
Just like Eggman makes him sound like a tub of lard.
Which, he, erm, is =P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back