Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care

• Both

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mario, hands down. Mario has most of his games good to excellent so far and Sonic has made some bad screwups lately, aside from SatSR.

Oh yeah, and this post was to answer Ash777's question.

Exactly. Mario does have the better games. Unless Sonic makes a smash hit game that would make him famous again. Mario is better.

It needs the cutout around him.

I'd say Sonic simply because I like the speed of the games better.
When I play Mario I find myself doing all the moves to go fast/AR.

I pick Mario. Sonic sucks really. all he has is his speed and dumb super form. Super form can't beat a star though. But it runs sooner or later.
I also picked Mario because he is with nintendo and nintendo is still coming out with systems. Sega last system was dreamcast.

FoxBlitzz said:
Neither. Both Mario and Sonic are overrated. There are other characters in those series that seem to have the same abilities, and yet they also have special moves of their own. Like Segmint, I'm referring to Tails and Yoshi here. Those two at least have something more than just "jump on the enemy" or "spindash through the Badnik".

Amen.

I grew up with both characters and I like them both but If I have to choose between them its gotta be Sonic. Don't get me wrong though, I love the Mario games but I gotta say its getting way too repetive, after the years the games are just getting too boring for me and its not that fun anymore, I like mario party when it was out for the N64 but the latter titles just dont appeal to me. The RPGs are ok but its not as fun as Super Mario RPG for SNES. The only titles for Mario that I care about is the main platformers and the Mario Kart series.

Sonic games are not the best nor they're perfect, but for some reason I just don't get tired of it. I like the fact that they're aren't as many spinoffs as the mario titles and I like the fact how the games almost always have a better replay value. Even though most of the games have glitches and bugs, the game is still possible to beat and it justs keeps me entertained.
I also like how the games are challenging as well which also increases the replay value for me. Also I just like the character more, to me it has more action and speed which appeals to me then mario.

So very true RGX. There are less spin offs in the Sonic franchise, plus as the story goes on Sonic keeps changing, while Mario is kind of a static character. Sonic is incredibly dynamic.

SONIC'S SENTRY said:
So very true RGX. There are less spin offs in the Sonic franchise, plus as the story goes on Sonic keeps changing, while Mario is kind of a static character. Sonic is incredibly dynamic.

Wow, the first time someone agreed with me.

Aother thing I forgot to mention though is that there is nothing wrong with the characters as well, it really depends on the companies and development teams who handle them. I really hate when people only refer the good games to be only classic sonic when the current titles could be better if the people who handle the character makes a game without problems. All I can say for Sonic though, the games are getting better (like it or not) at a very slow pace. The sonic rush series and SATSR is proof.

plus as the story goes on Sonic keeps changing, while Mario is kind of a static character. Sonic is incredibly dynamic.

Static does not necessarily mean bad. Sometimes you have a _good_ design. No reason to fix something that isn't broken.

Even though most of the games have glitches and bugs, the game is still possible to beat and it justs keeps me entertained.

That is a wrongful statement. First off, glitches _can_ ruin a game. In SA2 the glitches weren't all that bad, and more than anything, were entertaining. Ever since then, glitches have only proven to make the game more frustrating. Sometimes you may be on a rail and attempt to transfer to the next rail, and instead go flying off into the abyss. Or run against a wall, jump, and fly into the abyss. Or hit a wall straight-on and turn 90-degrees for absolutely no reason and go running into the abyss. Or have a cutscene play after hitting a boss and after it ends, go flying into the abyss. Or go around a loop and then for no reason fall through the floor into the abyss. How is that fun?

Not to mention, your argument of "still possible to beat" is flawed. Since when did any of these bugs prevent a user from completing the game? Hell, E.T. for the Atari is possible to beat! In both E.T. and the modern Sonic games, however, there are some rather nasty bugs that can completely destroy the experience. Furthermore, your argument of "still possible to beat" infers that you are trying to dodge claims of these bugs being harmful to the fun factor of a game.

I also like how the games are challenging as well which also increases the replay value for me.

Challenging does not equal replay value. If I just went through some frustrating stage where I glitched out half the time or had to make split-second-perfect jumps, the last thing I would want to do is play that stage again.

Also I just like the character more, to me it has more action and speed which appeals to me then mario.

"Yeah! Woohoo! Alright! We're Sonic Heroes!" I simply can't respect the Sonic universe anymore. I'm sorry.

there is nothing wrong with the characters as well

The addition of new characters into Sonic games has become a cliché now. There is no real purpose to half of the characters they're adding in. All these hedgehog recolors we get around here and Sega makes it worse by adding in Silver. That really makes me want to puke, that they're supporting such stupidity. Don't get me wrong, I actually did like Shadow when he was in SA2. He was like a sort of rival to Sonic. When they took him out of SA2 he simply didn't have a purpose anymore. He died after the ARK was transported back up, he should have stayed that way.

I really hate when people only refer the good games to be only classic sonic when the current titles could be better if the people who handle the character makes a game without problems.

Another company could probably make good Sonic games, but the point is that all the modern games are currently being handled by a company that isn't competent. That's what all the fuss is about.

All I can say for Sonic though, the games are getting better (like it or not) at a very slow pace.

Uhh, Sonic Advance 2 was better than Sonic Rush, Sonic Advance 1 was better than Sonic Advance 2. Sonic Heroes was better than Sonic2K6, Sonic Adventure 2 was better than Sonic Heroes. A special case can be made for Secret Rings, but will the next games follow suit?

• SEGA's noticed the popularity of Secret Rings, so they just might follow suit, FB.
  • P.S.Thanks for turning my drawings to links in the Artwork topic, earlier.

Kirby should've been in the poll but.....

Alright, I can't choose between either of them (since I really don't like either of the characters....). If it was a versus match though, Sonic would completely destroy Mario.

Re: Kirby should've been in the poll but.....

Mastakirby said:
Alright, I can't choose between either of them (since I really don't like either of the characters....). If it was a versus match though, Sonic would try to destroy Mario.

That is a wrongful statement. First off, glitches _can_ ruin a game. In SA2 the glitches weren't all that bad, and more than anything, were entertaining. Ever since then, glitches have only proven to make the game more frustrating. Sometimes you may be on a rail and attempt to transfer to the next rail, and instead go flying off into the abyss. Or run against a wall, jump, and fly into the abyss. Or hit a wall straight-on and turn 90-degrees for absolutely no reason and go running into the abyss. Or have a cutscene play after hitting a boss and after it ends, go flying into the abyss. Or go around a loop and then for no reason fall through the floor into the abyss. How is that fun?

Well IMO it doesn't bother me, even through some frustrating hell. The truth is you can't do anything about it sadly. All you can do is either complain about how crappy the game is because the glitches mess you up, just try to beat the game and ignore them or get your money back.

Not to mention, your argument of "still possible to beat" is flawed. Since when did any of these bugs prevent a user from completing the game? Hell, E.T. for the Atari is possible to beat! In both E.T. and the modern Sonic games, however, there are some rather nasty bugs that can completely destroy the experience. Furthermore, your argument of "still possible to beat" infers that you are trying to dodge claims of these bugs being harmful to the fun factor of a game.

No, the reason I mention something like this was because there are other games where glitches, bugs or even gameplay mechanics can cause the game to be nearly impossible to beat, for example Mortal kombat advance. Besides I'm not gonna simply quit right on the dot if glitches keeps screwing with me, if its possible to beat, I'll try to deal with it. Also its up to a certain degree when a game is not playable or when a gamer either has the paitence or not to finish it.

Challenging does not equal replay value. If I just went through some frustrating stage where I glitched out half the time or had to make split-second-perfect jumps, the last thing I would want to do is play that stage again.

Well, for this I wasn't refering to the newer glitchy games, in general. I don't mean all the games though. Most times I replay games that have either unlockables or the game is fun.

"Yeah! Woohoo! Alright! We're Sonic Heroes!" I simply can't respect the Sonic universe anymore. I'm sorry.

I'm not going to convince you to be a sonic fan, I liked the character since I was young and I still do. As for Sonic heroes, that was a one time thing, I don't think there going back to that formula anytime soon.

The addition of new characters into Sonic games has become a cliché now. There is no real purpose to half of the characters they're adding in. All these hedgehog recolors we get around here and Sega makes it worse by adding in Silver. That really makes me want to puke, that they're supporting such stupidity. Don't get me wrong, I actually did like Shadow when he was in SA2. He was like a sort of rival to Sonic. When they took him out of SA2 he simply didn't have a purpose anymore. He died after the ARK was transported back up, he should have stayed that way.

Well, I agree with you but I was only referring to Sonic and Mario. Also you already know this but if they are many fans of a particular character, sega or sonic team will just bring them back due to popular demand.

Another company could probably make good Sonic games, but the point is that all the modern games are currently being handled by a company that isn't competent. That's what all the fuss is about.

Yes I know that, but alot of people (mostly n00bs) are bashing the character, not the people who make the games.

Uhh, Sonic Advance 2 was better than Sonic Rush, Sonic Advance 1 was better than Sonic Advance 2. Sonic Heroes was better than Sonic2K6, Sonic Adventure 2 was better than Sonic Heroes. A special case can be made for Secret Rings, but will the next games follow suit?

Disagree, Don't get me wrong, Sonic advance 2 was a great game, but it was the emerald tokens that made the game frustrating hard by forcing you to memorize which directions you have to go in order to get a single emerald for a stage. Also if you miss a certain token in a part of a level where its impossible to go back to retrieve, you would have to replay the level. I'm not going to say Sonic Rush is way better then Sonic advance 2 but in terms of gameplay, Sonic Rush is superior which makes me like the game more. The boost feature was a perfect addition in the series which made players go fast whenever they want. The tricks you would usually do in advance 2 besides either going up, doing a side kick or backflip, now serve more of a purpose by filling up your boost meter. The game also had more gimmicks and better bosses then advance 2 IMO. The bosses in Sonic advance 2 were fun but all consisted running. What makes Advance 2 better then Rush was the multiple characters, more unlockables and a better final boss. Besides theres a reason why Sonic Rush is highly appraised with even awards to back it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back