SRB2 Memory Allocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasualNick

I'm trying to make a HD srb2 video and I got 4 more gb of ram. When I loaded SRB2 their wasn't any differences in performance. When I loaded minecraft their wasn't any difference in performance either, but their was when I changed how much memory was allocated. How do I change how much memory is allocated to SRB2?

I am not really sure if there is a way to change the memory allocation, but what you can try to do is change the cpuaffinity using srb2 console if you have more than one processor. If you have 2 cores, set it to 3, if you have 4 cores set it to 15. That *might* help, but I didn't see much improvement on my machine.

You can also try setting cpusleep to -1 (it might be default already, but I am not sure) and that will make srb2 use up all the cpu power.

memfree will display the memory being used by srb2.

-mb 128

will allocate 128 megabytes
At least it USED to. I don't know if modern SRB2 has that parameter or not.

Memory is not the bottleneck. There's no point to asking the game to allocate more memory, as it allocates exactly what it needs to run by itself. (Varies per level obviously, but basic levels even with max precipitation don't exceed 32MB.)

The bottleneck is solely with the software/CPU rendering, and there's not much that can be done about it. cpuaffinity might give a bit of a performance boost, but SRB2 is still (currently) a single-thread program.

There is always OpenGL...

Hm, "-mb" doesn't seem to be listed here. Possibly it's been overlooked in the source code? I'll have to double-check that at some point.

EDIT: Nope, from a quick search it doesn't look like it's there at all anymore.

Oh, right right... SRB2 doesn't use heap-based memory allocation anymore, it now allocates on-demand from the OS.

Does that mean that 8GB of memory isn't enough to power the engine at full speed?
No. SRB2 isn't using anywhere close to 8GB of memory, and lack of memory isn't what's causing the slowdown.

Or in the words of Inuyasha:
[18:56] <Inuyasha> he has a funnel, he wants to get more out of it at once, and instead of stretching the base a bit (which isn't really possible, but you get the idea) he wonders why making the top part of the funnel larger isn't changing anything :v

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back