2.1 Emblem Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a gigantic bump as I'd like to get some more feedback, and there are different people active this time of year. If you already replied but your opinion has changed, feel free to reply again with an update. If you're new, I'd love to hear from you. If you're that oldbie that never replied to this the first time, gimme feedback damn you ;_;

I'd also like to ask if you guys have any brilliant ideas for extra emblems (such as the Perfect Bonus emblem). I'd like to add more but it's important to avoid turning them into an achievement system. Anything added needs to be either cool on its own or teach players mechanics they might not already know.

The only one I could think of is an emblem which where you have to defeat a certain amount of enemies in a level or all the enemies.

Other than that all my ideas would of been achievement based.

I'd quite like to see the return of character specific emblems, but only in a few specific areas that takes full advantage of the mechanic.

For example, the old Knuckles emblem in Arid Canyon Zone, or the old Tails emblem in Egg Rock Zone 1. Character specific emblems that encourage the player to find creative ways to break the game and enter the character specific routes as the wrong character.

Not every level would have them, and the levels that do use them probably wouldn't have a character specific emblem for all 3 characters, and that would be okay. Although I imagine if this idea is used, the emblems should be in plain sight when going through the path the intended way to let the player know it's possible to get there with an unintended character.

Maybe an emblem for consecutively bouncing on an absurd amount of enemies. The score multiplier, easy 1-ups and overall radness used to be their own reward, but the changes to the invincibility mechanics kind of cheapened that.

All I can really say is that I dislike having to replay a stage ALL the way through multiple times for Record Attack emblems. They feel entirely too tedious for me. With the other emblems, it's a different story, because I'm not on some sort of timer or anything and I don't feel super stressed that I have to do X thing with Y constraints. I can just sort of wander around at my leisure, which is what I prefer doing.

I just realized that meeting the ring goal in single player doesn't actually earn you the emblem. I could understand the time emblem being unlockable only in record hunt mode, because of how checkpoints work. but the ring and score emblems should be available in all modes.

Problem with the score emblems though is that 1-ups turn into Score Monitors in Record Attack, which of course assists with obtaining those emblems.

All the more need to recognise that merit if you exceed it in regular singleplayer play. If you manage to beat the punishing score attack emblem even without any score monitors, then that's worthy of reward.

Time being limited makes sense, but ring and score... there's no extreme gameplay difference that suggests they shouldn't be unlockable in regular play.

Starposts affect all disciplines of Record Attack; it would be easier to start from the last starpost and return for rings (and possibly score) because none of the enemies would be facing you.

Plus, the fact that *any* changes are made at all to the layout for Record Attack means I really do not want to make their emblems earnable through any other mode. Period.

(The lack of recording demos also helps.)

Personally I never got the ring or score emblems because I weigh the time doing it versus the number of times I will fail and it equals several DAYS of dedication for a little graphical emblem. Not something for me.

Regular emblems are and have always been fine. It would be neat if there were different kinds of criteria for collecting an emblem though, but the ones that come to mind would be things you'd see in Super Mario 64. Which may or may not be just plain silly. (Although 'red coins' would be neat in certain levels if they were isolated in specific rooms)

Last edited:
Well, I knew there must have been a reason, I forgot that starposts reset everything not just you. I guess it would be too much trouble for to little gain to see if the player had already died once while playing...

ah well

As a side note I thought of something but I don't know if it would be worth the trouble to implement. A kinda "emblem rush" where you try to collect all the collectable emblems as fast as you can. trouble is I don't think all the emblems are accessible by all the characters.

Which brings up my only complaint with the emblem pickups. they do nothing for you on later playthroughs. they just hover there, grayed out and taunting me with their inaccessibility. It would be nice if you could still collect them for score in single player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back