Marathon Run best times

MellowJacket

The unreliable judge
With SRB2's new 2.2.5 update, a new Marathon mode has been added to the game that times a full game run. And I figure it would be interesting to record our best Marathon run times in one place in two categories, no emeralds, and all emeralds.

To enter, just do a full Marathon Run with the category set to Standard, and the timer set to In-Game and take a screenshot of the ending that displays how many emeralds you collected, your chosen character and your final time, like this screenshot here.
Gu1OnkE.png

I'm opting to use in-game time as the standard as I may as well just use the one that gives the lowest time anyway to avoid potential cheating. When times are posted, I will update this thread as a record of everyone's best marathon runs.

No Emerald times: Sonic
MRoach: 0:32:14.51, 28/8/2020
Steelie: 0:34:21.48, 11/7/2020
Unknownlight: 0:34:41.28, 11/7/2020

No Emerald times: Tails
Helvian: 0:21:38.94, 10/7/2020
Chicmunk: 0:26:45.82, 11/7/2020
Nicolas618, 0:28:38.05, 11/7/2020
Steelie: 0:30:04.62, 10/7/2020

No Emerald times: Sonic & Tails
Jonster: 0:45:59.22, 12/7/2020

No Emerald times: Knuckles
LunickTMM: 0:22:46.17, 11/7/2020

No Emerald times: Amy Rose
Seaball: 0:33:32.57, 12/7/2020

No Emerald times: Fang
MellowJacket: 0:43:02.45, 10/7/2020

No Emerald times: Metal Sonic
Lamibe: 0:39:08.77, 20/8/2020
cookiefonster: 0:42:44.34, 11/7/2020

No Emerald times: Custom Character
Nicolas618: 0:25:12.48, Silver, 12/7/2020

All Emerald times: Sonic
Seaball: 0:45:24.91, 11/7/2020

All Emerald times: Amy Rose
Seaball: 0:45:02.11, 11/7/2020

All Emerald times: Fang
LunickTMM: 0:25:16.05, 5/10/2020
KuroEl64: 0:50:36.51, 12/7/2020 (RTA timer)

All Emerald times: Custom Character
Sims: 0:15:02.88, HMS123, 15/8/2020
Majro: 1:01:29.80, Robo-Hood, 11/7/2020

Last edited:
Chicmunk's 1st Tails run

Real time with Tails:
Chicmunk_Marathon_Run_One.png

Last edited:
srb20142.png

(no emeralds as Tails)

I haven't done any% in ages and died like 5 times trying run-killer tricks. This is like 2-3 minutes behind my best but it was a good excuse to shake off the rust.

AOi68Q8.png

As Tails, no Emeralds. I'm long out of the speedrunning game (as it was too frustrating to keep up with, in all honesty) but this was alright. Might do it with other characters.

I'm opting to use in-game time as the standard, and not real time, as when I'm just asking for a screenshot as proof there's no way to prove what timer is used, and in that case, I may as well just use the one that gives the lowest time to avoid potential cheating.

You might like 2.2.6, then! The end screen now shows both your character choice and which timer option you picked, based on feedback from moi and the speedrun community.

srb20039.png

I guess I don't have a run, for now, but I'll try to whip up an All Emeralds one in due time.

Chicmunk's 2nd run:

Tails again but using in game time this time, died from a dumb spinfly try in acz2 but it's way faster :/
Chicmunk_Marathon_Run_Two.png

Tried it out as Metal, why not. Died quite a few stupid deaths, including two in BCZ1, but otherwise I don't think I did too bad for my first try.

821BGBu.png

Here it is!

srb20218.png

If the fireworks didn't make it clear, this is a Sonic (solo) All Emeralds run, as I said I'd do.
...wondering if I should be proud my first official run was unrecorded. Eh, whatever.

You might like 2.2.6, then! The end screen now shows both your character choice and which timer option you picked, based on feedback from moi and the speedrun community.
I'm very glad then! I'm not really a part of the speedrun community but I did notice that it seemed to be a bit of an oversight that those details weren't included on the ending screen.

...wondering if I should be proud my first official run was unrecorded. Eh, whatever.
I think for a somewhat casual way to get a list of records started, this is fine. If this was intended to be a more permanent record such as those on speedrun.com then I'd be a bit more adamant about runs being recorded. Maybe if this gets particularly heated I might have to ask for recorded runs if they're pushing a certain time though. Any recommendations on what an appropriate time to ask for a run to be recorded is?

Also, updated the times. My first run was terrible so I'll be sure to do a faster attempt some tine soon.

5scKkvm.png

I am so incredibly pleased by this time, especially since I'm not a speedrunner (other than getting all the Time emblems). It turns out that I don't know the fastest routes through levels nearly as well as I thought. The DSZ -> CEZ -> ACZ stretch was a huge panic of desperately trying and failing to remember the right way to go and then realizing I'm on a bad path and then trying to make up for it with thok thok thok thok thok thok thokTHOKTHOKTHOK!!

8HyyP80.png

Not good, not bad.
(if for some strange reason you don't see the image, copy the link and paste it in a browser, Tails, In-game in 28:38:05)

Last edited:
Any recommendations on what an appropriate time to ask for a run to be recorded is?

When people lower their time so much that I have to start pulling them to the speedrun community and upload to SRC hahah
This is mostly a casual thread though so I don't think we need to change anything. I'm looking forward to seeing speedrun interest growing with Marathon though, it's a really nice addition to vanilla.

file:///D:/Sonic%20Robo%20Blast%202/screenshots/srb20085.png

Not good, not bad.
(if for some strange reason you don't see the image, copy the link and paste it in a browser, Tails, In-game in 28:38:05)

That's an address for a file on your PC. You need to attach it to your post for us to see it.

VZI9E5z.png

Slower than with Tails, but that's to be expected.

Mellow if I could have a suggestion, maybe cut it to sections based on characters too, since it's gonna be more chaotic the more people post here.

Can you explain how to attach a picture like everybody does? I'm a little new here.
On certain subforums like Submissions you can attach images directly in your post, but not in SRB2 Discussion. In this subforum, you need to upload the image to an imagehosting site like imgur, get the URL of your image, and wrap it in IMG tags, like this:
Code:
[PLAIN][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/UMkVHcm.png[/IMG][/PLAIN]

qcO3co3.png

Are custom characters allowed? I don't really want this thread to be flooded by custom characters runs, but I did want to share this one of mine.

Would have been even faster if I didn't screw up in a few places. Worst of those was getting crushed after beating Metal Sonic because I jumped into a door too quickly.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back