This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Helvian

Obligatory 'my first map' preface.

My background: I speedrun almost exclusively with Tails (I branch out a little bit doing 200 emblem runs), so making this map was kind of an experiment to see just how ridiculous the fox can be.

It ended up turning into a mirror image of a Team Fortress 2 jump map; meant to exercise exactly one thing, and exercise it well. The 'thing' in question here is Tails' ability to retain his insane spindash speed across very long distances, aka the spinfly.

As a result of my inexperience in making maps it may certainly be rough around the edges, and it certainly isn't that aesthetically pleasing (something to look forward to for later updates), but I believe it serves its purpose at the moment.

I'm also aware that I am probably the worst playtester of this map because I can almost spinfly in my sleep, but through several sporadic netgame testing sessions I've seen a decent number of people progress slowly through the levels, so I am reticent to hand out any nerfs.

Featuring nine spinfly challenges, and two 'springfly' challenges. At least.

Obviously, only Tails can beat this map.
Maybe less obviously, this map is very difficult by design. It also expects you to use mouse for camera controls (in theory you could jack up the camera sensitivity way up but I haven't tried).

Attachments

• srb20040.gif
    srb20040.gif
    2.9 MB · Views: 593
  • srb20036.gif
    srb20036.gif
    3.8 MB · Views: 487
  • srb20042.gif
    srb20042.gif
    6.2 MB · Views: 495
  • SL_SpinflyAlley_v1.zip
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,054
Last edited:
This very much reminds me of a dedicated rocket jump map in Doom or of a Team Fortress 2 surfing map.

This is certainly tough, not being someone who usually plays Tails that much myself. But I was able to get it eventually, congratulations on making an interesting first map.

This is actually a very clever idea. Aside from TF2 it also reminds me of those bunny hoping map from several FPS using any engine (mainly the Half-Life one).

This also reminds me of that section in Egg Rock (but much more Tails-centered).

Worth mentioning that you need to turn off Autobrake to be able to play this map proper, was a fun challenge.

Ah, my bad, I always had the impression that holding forward somehow slowed tails down when flying, I guess it's not true.

spinfly alley is quite a level alright

I honestly really like this level. Heck, I even made an account to say how much I like it! It's really hard, but that makes it all the more rewarding once you beat a particular challenge.

Overall, I would personally rate this level a solid 9.25/10. Although it feels unfair at times, I think it is incredibly good!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back