Custom gamedata - Allows you to create save files with addons

[Open Assets] Custom gamedata - Allows you to create save files with addons v1

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

FuriousFox

AKA FuriousFox
This is a very simple SOC script that creates a custom gamedata, which therefore allows you to create save files while using addons. If what I said is too confusing, maybe this will make more sense to you:

attachment.php

HOW TO USE:
1. Load all the addons that you want to use.
2. Load v_customsave-v1.soc as the very last file.
3. When you come back to play again later, make sure you load everything in the same order, or else you may run into problems. (Save files save your skin as a number. If you load skins in a different order, your save file may end up as a different character.)

Another little caveat is that, since this is a new gamedata, unlockables and records will be reset while this script is loaded. Don't worry, you'll still have everything in your non-modified game, but you'll have to do everything again here.

Hopefully in the future we'll be able to provide a better solution for saving while using addons. It is something I have pushed for during development, and it seems like something most other people on the team would like to have, but we had more pressing things to tend to at the time (like finishing 2.2). This should tide you guys over until then.

---

I have added a batch script that should allow you to convert your existing SRB2 saves and records (unlockables, emblems) to work with the custom gamedata addon. Just run Convert Save to Custom Gamedata.bat and follow the prompts. This will create copies of your saves that can be used with V_customsave-v1.soc. They will be separate files, so any progress you make in vanilla or custom will not carry over to the other from that point on.

Attachments

• srb20000.png
    srb20000.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 136,968
  • V_customsave-v1.zip
    181 bytes · Views: 17,916
  • Convert Save to Custom Gamedata.zip
    564 bytes · Views: 8,520
Last edited:
This one was legit amazing!

i was waiting for this, now i can save with custom characters, thx!.

btw did you make a shadow port or something?, just curious.

No, I didn't make a Shadow port. There's one floating around on some servers though. It's full of Lua errors and warnings though.

No, I didn't make a Shadow port. There's one floating around on some servers though. It's full of Lua errors and warnings though.

oh ok cool, could you tell me like how you found it or in where server that was?, sorry for making you waste time btw.

There's a small, small problem. In a conquered save,
the letter at RedXVI's door
doesn't show up at all. It was supposed to be a little 100% completion gift, c'mon.

(Yes, I marked that thing a spoiler, even after the ban was dead.)

I imagine it's programmed to only show up in fully unmodified games, in which case there's nothing I can do about that.

I imagine it's programmed to only show up in fully unmodified games, in which case there's nothing I can do about that.
I mean, as far back as I recall, if this addendum was a WAD (or a PK3. I don't judge.), it would be totally fine.

There is, but it's a little complicated. You'll need a program like Notepad++ or some kind of hex editor to edit the save files. Once you open them up, just change "main" to "custom_gamedata". Then save it and rename the file to custom_gamedata#.ssg, where # is the save slot number you want it to appear at.

Additionally, I found out it's actually pretty easy to copy your gamedata (unlockables, records, emblems, etc) between the vanilla game and the custom saves. Just rename gamedata.dat to custom_gamedata.dat and you'll be able to keep all your stuff from the unmodified game. This also works in reverse, if you'd rather go after unlockables and emblems with other addons loaded.

If you decide to try any of this, I would recommend keeping unmodified copies of the files just in case anything goes wrong.

Additionally, I found out it's actually pretty easy to copy your gamedata (unlockables, records, emblems, etc) between the vanilla game and the custom saves. Just rename gamedata.dat to custom_gamedata.dat and you'll be able to keep all your stuff from the unmodified game. This also works in reverse, if you'd rather go after unlockables and emblems with other addons loaded.

I tried this before asking but couldn't port the slots, i only tried to rename the file but got a "can't load" message on the save select screen.

Thanks for the help 😊, i will try it when i can.

There is, but it's a little complicated. You'll need a program like Notepad++ or some kind of hex editor to edit the save files. Once you open them up, just change "main" to "custom_gamedata". Then save it and rename the file to custom_gamedata#.ssg, where # is the save slot number you want it to appear at.

If you decide to try any of this, I would recommend keeping unmodified copies of the files just in case anything goes wrong.

I tried opening the game with the modified game data and it didn't work, what could it be? It says corrupted gamedata.

I have added a batch script that should allow you to convert your existing SRB2 saves and records (unlockables, emblems) to work with the custom gamedata addon. Just run Convert Save to Custom Gamedata.bat and follow the prompts. This will create copies of your saves that can be used with V_customsave-v1.soc. They will be separate files, so any progress you make in vanilla or custom will not carry over to the other from that point on.

I think this could have been by default in the game (I mean, saving modded games in a folder dedicated to that)

On a side note: I hope Shadow will be "officially" released here someday

Awesome mod! Thank you so much.

An idea -- it'd be cool if you could make a "custom playlist" of levels from both campaign + mod levels ... so the player could do like a boss run, or an all act one run, or a "best Tails levels" run or whatever.

Awesome mod! Thank you so much.

An idea -- it'd be cool if you could make a "custom playlist" of levels from both campaign + mod levels ... so the player could do like a boss run, or an all act one run, or a "best Tails levels" run or whatever.

that's not what Custom gamedata is meant for, though it's something you can already do with this.

Technically you don't need the script to copy your unlocks to custom_gamedata.dat. Simply copy your vanilla gamedata.dat and rename it to custom_gamedata.dat.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back