Resource icon

[Open Assets] Funny Deaths: Humor in Failure (v0.3b) 0.3b

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Altiami

Whimsical Chaos
It's an add-on where your deaths become funny. You know, Funny Deaths! Need I say more?
attachment.php
However, it's difficult to die in some maps. To solve this, getting hit in any way on a particular set of maps will also kill you, resulting in a funny death!
This is adjustable; see configuration options below.

This mod also has additional functionality with Acrobatics by Angular! If you spinout from a trick, everyone will get to see (or hear) you die in splendor!
Also adjustable; see configuration options below.

Configuration
All Funny Death commands and c-vars use fd_ as the prefix. Simple, right?

General Utilities
fd_help
Lists all of the add-on's commands and c-vars.

fd_enable <Off|On>
Toggles if the add-on should do anything.
Setting How You Die
Similar to another silly noisy mod that normally randomizes what you get, you can set a preferred funny death to happen every time!
You can also set it so that you don't have a funny death, but then you won't be funny. :(

fd_listdeaths
Lists out the available funny deaths with their ID, including the option for no funny death.

fd_setdeath <ID>
Sets your funny death to always be the one belong to the ID. The option for no funny death will always be 0.

fd_randomdeath
Want to return to having a randomized funny death? Doesn't get easier than this!
Killing Upon Certain Events
In some cases, your racer will die for the purpose of keeping things amusing.
Sometimes it's too much though, or maybe you want m o r e... That's what these settings are for!

fd_hitkill <Off|Per map|On> (default: Per map)
When Kill on Hit is enabled, any hit (banana, explosion, squish) will kill the racer to force a funny death.
The Per map option will let the add-on make the decision. It enables this feature on maps where deaths are unlikely to occur.

fd_finishkill <Off|On> (default: On)
When Kill on Finish is enabled, the add-on will fake a funny death upon a racer finishing.
It's only different from a regular death in that the racer isn't actually killed, and the add-on makes the racer invisible afterwards.

fd_acrofailkill <Off|Spinout|Miss> (default: Spinout)
When Kill on Acrobatics Fail is enabled, racers will die upon satisfying the fail condition which forces a funny death.
The Spinout option only kills the racer if the missed trick would cause them to spin out.
The Miss option will kill the racer for ANY missed trick.
Map and Lua Stuff
You can support Funny Deaths in your Maps and Lua scripts! Additionally, you can add your own funny deaths!

MAP SOC: LUA.FD_KillOnHit = <value>
Include this in your SOC to tell Funny Deaths if it should Kill on Hit when fd_hitkill is set to Per map.
Setting it to true or yes will enable it. Anything else will disable it.
You should probably set it to no or false for clarity, though.
If this is not specified, the add-on will look for any death sectors in your map. If it does not find any, it will enable the feature.

LUA: fd_loaded
Simply a tell for if this add-on is loaded.

LUA: applyFunnyDeath(player_t player)
Applies a funny death to the given player! This function always respects the player's preferences.
It also does not kill on its own; you still need to do that yourself.

LUA: addFunnyDeath(function start, function think, function ending, string name, optional string keywords)
Add your own funny death!
The start function is run on the first tic of the funny death.
The think function is run for every tic the funny death updates while the player is dead. In the case of a finish kill, it runs until the time that a player would normally respawn.
The ending function is run when the player respawns.
The name is what will show in the list and when setting the funny death.
The keywords string is a space-separated list of additional keywords. It currently is unused, but it will eventually be used to help players search for or set their death by using words instead of a number.
Thanks to several people for stress-testing and providing suggestions.
Changelog included inside the add-on.

Regarding Reuse
While this post is marked as freely reusable and reproduceable, I would still appreciate being credited for any part that is reproduced.
As for alternate versions or repacks, PLEASE ASK FOR PERMISSION FIRST.
Alternate versions and repacks not only require a brand new file download which takes up space on the players' drives, but they can create confusion about who's responsible for what.
I don't want people complaining to me about bugs caused by other people without me at least knowing it might happen, because then I can redirect them to the right people.

Attachments

• kart0285.gif
    kart0285.gif
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,186
  • kart0286.gif
    kart0286.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 5,871
  • kart0287.gif
    kart0287.gif
    3 MB · Views: 1,001
  • kart0288.gif
    kart0288.gif
    2.1 MB · Views: 950
  • kart0289.gif
    kart0289.gif
    2.8 MB · Views: 961
  • kart0290.gif
    kart0290.gif
    4.1 MB · Views: 1,071
  • KL_FunnyDeath_v0.3b.pk3
    100.4 KB · Views: 680
Last edited:
I'm having a conflict where some people just don't want the funny deaths at all (i.e finding it distracting, getting sick of the meme, etc.), while others desire it. Would it be possible to allow one to stop this from doing anything on the client-side and automatically make the disabler's death use the default to everyone else?

Update: I did notice there is an "fd_enable", but that's for the whole server?

Last edited:
Due to the nature of how a server tries to synchronize particular events which includes player movement, I do not believe it is possible for me to introduce a client-side toggle. I really wish I could though!

Alternatives are for an admin to use fd_enable manually or through something like HOSTMOD to only enable it for certain races, or for the player to use fd_setdeath 0 to disable funny deaths for themself.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back