let us discuss the match weapons system! =D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaysakado

Or rather, let's discuss my complaint.

In most FPSs, you have a thrown weapon (i.e. grenade) an innovative weapon (i.e. gravity gun) and the rest are guns which differ from each other in three areas: Power, Rate of Fire, and Accuracy. In SRB2, the thrown weapon is the grenade ring from 1.1, and we... really don't have an innovative weapon, but that's not my complaint, because they're really not important, they're just fun to play around with.

What I have a gripe with is the third category, the normal guns with their three categories of differing from each other. In SRB2, we don't have health, we just drop all our rings or lose our shield. Or die. So the only things we have left are accuracy and rate of fire. So basically we'll have some weapons increasing accuracy and decreasing rate of fire (everything but auto ring) and some weapons decreasing accuracty and increasing rate of fire. (auto ring) Unfortunantly, this makes things very bland. Ergo, we need some way to incorporate the third category, power, into the weapons system.

It's already in there somewhat from the bomb and rail ring's knockback, which makes it easier to steal the victim's rings, and thus they have less health, but that would still be bland if that was the only thing that the weapons that increase power do. So we need to find a different way to incorporate Power into the system. I can think of only one way to do this without removing the rings system, and it's incredibly overpowered - an instakill ring that moves very slowly and spirals outwards as it goes forward, making it more likely to hit the floor or some wall. While this may be all fine and good when shooting at a distance, it's incredibly overpowered in close-quarters.

Now I'm trying to figure out some kind of conclusion from all this thought, but I can't, so that's why I made this topic for discussion, flaws, etc.

EDIT: holy crap, i need to insert some line breaks

EDIT2: done

Okay, let's discuss it.

Auto Ring: Fast-shooting.

Bomb Ring: Slow-shooting, HIGH DAMAGE. Bomb Ring has knockback, making it harder to re-collect rings.

Infinity ring: N/A

Rail Ring: Slow-shooting, high accuracy.

Bounce Ring (1.1): Normal-shooting, innovative, above average accuracy.

Star Ring (1.1): Slow-shooting, innovative, high accuracy

Mine Ring (1.1): Grenade.

Homing Ring (to be scrapped): Slow-shooting, Extreme accuracy.

So you see, Kaysakado, there are weapons from every category. It's a pity there's no tether guided weapons though (e.g. rpg from hl2)

I guess Bounce Ring and Star Ring could count as innovative, but the only one involving damage is the bomb ring, and I mentioned that.

In addition, I just thought of something: A ring that gives you extra points if it hits, but with low rate of fire and speed.

At first glance of teh post, it sounds like homing ring with instakill. Homing rings FAIL, of course, so what you're thinking of is probably better.

I would call it... the nuke ring! *shot*

Here's an idea: try a ring so that if you get hit by it you lose five rings every second. The Venom Ring would be sure to put a twist in the game!

Gemini Spark said:
At first glance of teh post, it sounds like homing ring with instakill. Homing rings FAIL, of course, so what you're thinking of is probably better.

I would call it... the nuke ring! *shot*
Not homing ring. It would be a ring that moves very slowly and does not move straight, but rather in a spiral fashion, so it's even harder to aim.

Just curious, what would happen if a health system was put into
match mode?
That would add innovation and such to the matches, but
to prevent frustration, you only drop 10 rings when hit, and if
you're at 0 rings, you automatically die when hit.
This way, the power of a type of ring matters, and I know
it can be done because it used to be doom.

Yeah, but the point of this is to brainstorm ideas to make the weapons less dull, while keeping in play the rings system.

Make golden rings our health and red rings ammo. The auto ring has less than average damage, bomb increases damage, homing does low damage and rail does the same amount of damage as bomb but takes up a lot of ammo. These ideas are kind of from Halo. =P

But that does change the ring system. To clarify, I'm trying to think of ways to make the weapons system less bland, while keeping it so that your health is your ammo, and that you spill your rings when hit.

If we're making it less bland, we're changing it aren't we. Can't we just make this into some sort of mod with a weapon system we agree on and make maps for it. If we could I'm raising my hand for it and helping out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back