Official Level Design Contest Voting: January/February

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not a 100% grading scale. I've said time and time again to use the full range of numbers. Around here, a 60% is an F. That doesn't mean that a "6" is a failing map in my eyes. There's no point in forcing everything to such high numbers, really. Essentially, the scale around here is:

A - 9/10
B - 7/8
C - 5/6
D - 3/4
F - 0/1/2

Why have numbers under 6 if we aren't going to use them?

eh...a bit Noobish here

When and where is the voting? January/February is just over, so I quess the voting should have started already. But where? Here in the forums?

The thing about this contest though is that all of them are indeed really good this time around. (Except for the occasional stinker) Many of them are indeed a bit above average so there's not too much reason to use any numbers below 5. =P

Mine appears to be getting mixed feelings. apparently, it's a good idea, but I carried it out badly.

Single Player

Aero Shrine - Tets 10/10
I personally found this as the best sky-based level I've ever played. It had wonderful textures choices as well as very good gameplay. The enemies were well placed. I especially liked the water fountains.

Storm Ruins - FuriousFox 8/10
Well done, FF. Although I didn't find it as THE best SP level, it's still a solid entry. The entire thing had me combing through all of the ideas you used. I can't put my finger on why, but I just didn't like it too much in the way of gameplay. The enemies were kind of boring, I suppose.

Golden Sands - Mystic 6/10
Sorry, Mystic, this one wasn't your best. I liked the yellow and orange brick textures for the pillars, but when it came to gameplay it was a bit repetative. There's an open space, a small inside area, and another open space. The quicksand was pretty cool, though.

Match

Devil's Factory - Roboashura None/10
Err... what is this? I can't see anything. I can't really rate this at all.

Tundra Shoreline - Senku 8/10
Not bad at all. I really enjoyed playing this map. It had some very nice archetecture and lots of fn hiding places to suprise your opponents. The house was a good gimmick, but I had to take off a point or two for the lack of Match starts.

Sunset Arena - ree-c 10/10
Excellent, purely excellent. I don't know about anyone else, but I found this map to be the most fun. Maybe it's just my style, but the ring placement was good for hit-and-run tactics. Even with homing rings, though, it was a fair fight, as those who didn't have 'em could run away.

Skyline Heights - Blue Blur N/A
Well, a nice bit of scores for a three hour job. This thing was easy to make, and I liked how it turned out. The texture alignment wasn't up to par, but that's hardly noticable. And by the way, it's possible as any of the characters to get everywhere on this map without using a single spring, from any of the buildings except the lowest one with the weapon ring. :P

J Valley - JJames19119 6/10
I'm sorry, but I wasn't too impressed with this map, and that sucks because it looks like you put a ton of effort into it. I found it a little cramped and the bonuses up top there were too good and easy to get. It looked nice enough, I guess.

Crossfire Chaos - Alexmonk0 4/10
Well, I guess it's not too bad for a first map, but you'll need to try much harder if you want to get better scores. I found this level to be similar to Eggman's Base, and that wasn't a good thing. Too empty, and the architecture, well... meh.

Octagonal Zone - Oogaland 9/10
To tell the truth, I thought this would be very dull for match before I actually played it. Although it looks boring and repetative, it holds a unique fun factor. Top notch, my friend.

Capture the Flag

Isolated Canyon - Neo Chaotikal 8/10
Well, I didn't like the fact that it was so linear, but it was made well enough that the single path you had to take was protected going to and from the bases. It looked nice enough and played well, but it was a bit too small. I liked it, though.

Metal Star - FuriousFox 10/10
Incredibly fun map here. The entire thing wasn't exactly symmetrical, and yet it was so much fun! I loved the layout the most. It felt more like a FPS map than an SRB2 map, but that didn't make it play badly, either. Only thing was the lack of rings to toss around. :wink:

Techno Hill CTF - Mystic - 6/10
A decent enough entry. Unfortunately, I found it too hard to navigate those conveyors to make it fun. Ended up being just frustrating. I did give a lot of places for ambushers to hide and the layout was good, but I just found it too difficult to be fun.

MAP01 - Devil's Factory - Match - RoboAshura - 4/10
This is one of those maps I'd love to like. 8 points for concept and -4 points for execution. The idea of a dark match stage is cool, but sadly, due to the differences between software and OpenGL, it just doesn't work.

MAP02 - Tundra Shoreline - Match - Senku - 6/10
This map needs balance (and match starts). Personally, I don't care about the REDWALL, but the single copy of Rail and Explosion makes it very easy to dominate it. I do really like the layout, but it needs more weapon rings to make it more fair.

MAP03 - Sunset Arena - Match - ree-c - 3/10
Proof that homing just sucks in match. This map sucks because of homing. Homing works in CTF and other modes where player score doesn't matter. It doesn't work in match.

MAP04 - Skyline Heights - Match - Blue Blur - 8/10
I REALLY like this map. However, it does suffer from the homing ring, like the last map. Unlike the last map, though, there are actual places to dodge behind to avoid it. I liked the skyscraper ceiling theme, and the buildings looked pretty realistic, which added a lot to the level.

MAP05 - J Valley - Match - JJames19119 - 4/10
Remove the teleports, and maybe we can actually play this one.

MAP06 - Crossfire Chaos - Match - Alexmonk0 - 2/10
Add some content. There really isn't anything here at all.

MAP07 - Octagonal - Match - Oogaland - 7/10
I like the basic layout here a lot, but something seems missing. I can't really nail down what. Maybe adding explosion or rail?

MAP08 - Isolated Canyon - CTF - Neo Chaotikal - 9/10
I REALLY enjoyed this. It needs a lot of players, or Homing-Rail is too easy to get, but with a lot of people this is a BLAST. Maybe could use slightly larger bases, but the core stage is frikken awesome.

MAP09 - Metal Star - CTF - FuriousFox - 8/10
Again, quality work here. I didn't quite like this one as much because I liked the difficulty in getting the flag in ICZ. Here the flag is right in the middle of the base, easy to grab and run with. Otherwise, though, it's still frikken great, if a little more fast paced.

MAP10 - Techno Hill CTF - CTF - Mystic - N/A
Made in four hours, this was a little burst of inspiration in Chemistry class. The idea was to make a CTF map where the lack of the thok when you carry the flag matters because you run against the conveyor. It works okay, but overall I'm not as impressed as I hoped I would be.

MAP01 - Devil's Factory - Match - RoboAshura - 4/10
This map is too dark to play in. It may have worked better had it been a little bit brighter.

MAP02 - Tundra Shoreline - Match - Senku - 6/10
Pretty nice map; it flows pretty good. More open space and rings would have helped, though.

MAP03 - Sunset Arena - Match - ree-c - 5/10
I liked the use of homing in this map, but since it's said to be cheap, I'll have to give this a lower rating. You did really well on the map design, though.

MAP04 - Skyline Heights - Match - Blue Blur - 8/10
Neat concept and good execution.

MAP05 - J Valley - Match - JJames19119 - 6/10
The teleports are cheap. They make it hard for you to get anywhere. I like the architecture of the map, though.

MAP06 - Crossfire Chaos - Match - Alexmonk0 - 4/10
This map suffers from lack of rings and too much open space. I liked the texture choices, though.

MAP07 - Octagonal - Match - Oogaland - 8/10
This map has good flow and good design. It seems kinda bland, though.

MAP08 - Isolated Canyon - CTF - Neo Chaotikal - 8/10
This map works pretty well in CTF, although I think the castles were a bit cramped.

MAP09 - Metal Star - CTF - FuriousFox - 8/10
Nice map. It seems well-designed overall.

MAP10 - Techno Hill CTF - CTF - Mystic - 9/10
Good flow and design, and an interesting concept which worked out really well.

Aero Shrine 1 - Tets - 8/10
It's a very well put together map, but it relies too heavily on springs as a way of getting around. I'm quite impressed; not too much else to say about it. The only other thing I can think of that I don't like about it is that it seems a bit hard to go fast in.

Storm Ruins 2 - FuriousFox - N/A
Well, I thought I had the decoration right this time, but I guess not. Oh well. I'm quite pleased with how the level turned out, although it is a bit on the difficult side.

Golden Sands - Mystic - 5/10
A pretty average map, to me. It could definitely use more decoration, and use a few different obstacles. I liked the area with the spring and the spikes, but there weren't too many other good ideas like that.

---

MAP01 - Devil's Factory - Match - RoboAshura - 0/10
Far too dark. Unplayable.

MAP02 - Tundra Shoreline - Match - Senku - 5/10
There are no Match starts in this level, but that aside, I think the map is pretty OK. It's certainly not something I'd play over-and-over again, but it was alright. Pefhaps you should add some more rings, and make it easier to navigate.

MAP03 - Sunset Arena - Match - ree-c - 5/10
Too many rings in a straight line, and I also feel the level is a bit too open for Homing, but I've never really liked Homing much anyways. Pretty basic design; again, pretty average. I would reccommend removing some rings from the bridge and maybe place some more in the areas with not as many.

MAP04 - Skyline Heights - Match - Blue Blur - 7/10
Pretty nice design, and the Homing isn't as overpowered here as it was in MAP03. I think you should make the jumps a little less wide, and make the buildings have more area to run on. Sonic players kept falling off the map, so this would probably help out alot.

MAP05 - J Valley - Match - JJames19119 - 2/10
I would comment on the level's layout, but I really didn't get to notice it much since I kept getting teleported every 3 seconds. You really need to remove most (if not, all) of the teleports. It's extremely annoying when you're trying to chase someone and shoot them, and suddenly you're teleported to a random destination somewhere else on the map. With out them, the level might actually play well, but the teleports just kill this map.

MAP06 - Crossfire Chaos - Match - Alexmonk0 - 1/10
Overly huge, and not enough rings. Add in THZ Turrets and you would have the recipe for a horrible level. This one is at least playable, but it's not very fun at all. Make your next map smaller, and have more rings. Testing would have helped you see these errors, so try doing that next time.

MAP07 - Octagonal - Match - Oogaland - 8/10
At first glance, you wouldn't think this map would play too well, but it is actually quite good. It has a fair amount of rings, and is pretty easy to navigate. I just think you should add more of an incentive to go up the sides, since most people just stayed on the bottom floor of the level unless they were Tails.

---

MAP08 - Isolated Canyon - CTF - Neo Chaotikal - 8/10
The bases are far too small, and you have the deadly Rail-Homing combo, but the map still manages to be quite fun. Other than the two things I mentioned earlier, I would just reccommend more than one way to get from base to base, other than the bridge in the middle.

MAP09 - Metal Star - CTF - FuriousFox - N/A
Made over the course of one day, then modified little by little from then. I had this map idea in my head for quite a while, I just now got around to making it. I think this is the first map I've made that has turned out almost exactly as I imagined it. Also, while I realize that most people feel that the map should have low gravity since it's in space, I didn't do it because it would mean I'd have to make everything taller and it would be too hard to hold on to the flag if you got shot. And to the people that say Tails has a disadvantage because of the rail: Play the map. Trust me, Tails is not at a disadvantage, he can get to the enemy base in a matter of 3 seconds, which makes him quite powerful in the map.

MAP10 - Techno Hill CTF - CTF - Mystic - 6/10
While it's pretty fun to play when you're Sonic, the level doesn't really offer much to the other two characters. As I mentioned before during a test, although the conveyors are the main point of the level, I still don't like them since they force you to repeatedly jump as you make your way from one base to the other. Try to make the map more balanced for all characters.

Contest results:

(N = N/A, own map. Lowest score dropped.)
(X = 10)

Aero Shrine 1 - Tets - 8N9989989X8 - 8.78
Storm Ruins 2 - FuriousFox - 888879988N - 8.25
Golden Sands - Mystic - 576N7779665 - 6.67

Devil's Factory - RoboAshura - 6544440 - 3.86
Tundra Shoreline - Senku - 758578665 - 6.33
Sunset Arena - ree-c - 76X67X355 - 6.56
Skyline Heights - Blue Blur - 66997N887 - 7.71
J Valley - JJames19119 - 667N6462 - 5.83
Crossfire Chaos - Alexmonk0 - 2334241 - 2.71
Octagonal - Oogaland - 788899788 - 8.00

Isolated Canyon - Neo Chaotikal - 7N9888988 - 8.29
Metal Star - FuriousFox - 79989X88N - 8.71
Techno Hill CTF - Mystic - 9X866N96 - 8.00

AND TETS WINS!!!

Gee. Real change of tradition there. I hope you enter the next contest Tets, I want to see how my map would do against yours. </honestlynotsarcasm>

Sarcasm in a sarcasm tag? :P

And ouch. My map suffered almost ONLY from those teleports. I regret making last minutes decisions now. x_x

I wonder which conest I'll enter next time...

Eh. I'd hoped we'd have another day or two since the board went down not once but twice while voting went on. Looks like I was wrong...

Oho... missed it by .29 points. Ah, wel, I tried. By the way, what weapon rings would have been the best? I wasn't sure what to put in, as many people didn't like the homing-auto mix.

At least my map wasn't dead last. :D Mystic, would it be okay if I re-entered it next contset with a bit more brightness, so people can, you know, see? It's not full released, because half the people couldn't play it. So yeah.

Not exactly. You can't re-release something that's already been entered, edited or not. It's pretty well documented in the rules. You could, though, remake it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back