• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

The Mudkip Spriting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MudkipYeah!

Vastly Short Attention Span
Lets be honest here, we all saw this coming. One day I would eventually get bored enough to start on mudkip sprites for a mudkip wad. Well that day, is today!
How this thread came to be.
*Earlier today, I thought "Man, red enchilada and a few other people got their own sprite threads. I could sure use my own." Thus, this thread purely exsist, because wynaut.*
Note about above note
*For those who don't get why I said wynaut, which is like, 99% of the people out there reading this thread, its a pokemon joke. Also, I made a reference, so yeah.*
Feel free to comment on said sprites, and don't be afraid to post your own sprites that pertain to pokemon, sonic, or just mudkip in general.
hrKOQ4z.png

Those sprites are awfully small as a start, i suggest you scale it up to a larger size. I also don't think there should be a shadow under the character, since srb2 can handle that already.

Talk about a derp moment. I completely forgot about shadow rendering in srb2. As for scaling, yes I know, its just that mudkip is a tiny pokemon, and really I wanted to get that sense of a tiny pokemon. This scaling issue will be fixed so dont worry.

As for scaling, yes I know, its just that mudkip is a tiny pokemon, and really I wanted to get that sense of a tiny pokemon.

I can see what you were going for, but as much as a tiny pokemon it may be, Sonic and the others aren't exactly tall either. Sonic himself is supposed to be around a meter tall, IIRC. So you should keep that in mind.

Other than that, it doesn't look like a bad start. Good luck!

Thanks man, appreciate the motivation. Tomorrow, Im gonna work on more sprites and have them up in this thread before 10 PM. I guess this is gonna be a thing now.

While I know the fact that Mudkip is a small guy, I don't really like how you made his mouth, it should be dark blue instead of black as it would stick with its overall design. Also note Mudkip is my favorite 3G starter :3

Heres the new sprites so far. I know its not much, but I've been busy at school and sometimes these little projects I have going on tend to slip my mind. Like, a lot. I fixed the scaling, the mouth, thoses random derp shadows, and the shading a bit.
XuckGur.png
YhGvI8Y.png

Last edited:
I'm not a great spriter, but I've had my fair share of spriting abilities put to use, and what I can say right now, is this:

1.) Be careful with the shading. You need to think of the sprite as a 3d object, and watch where your source of light comes from. In SRB2, the source of light is from above (which is quite funny considering for MD2s, the light seems to come from the right...), meaning that you need to make the top/more exposed areas brighter, and the lower you go/less stuff being exposed need to get darker. Imagine a light bulb hanging above the player, and imagine where the shades will be.

2.) The outline of the face is too flat/straight. Try to understand how pixels, in a way, trick the mind into thinking about slopes. For example, two pixels going up, followed by two more pixels going up, diagonally above the first set of pixels, make it appear as if a long diagonal line is being made, when in reality, is a simple set of pixels. Here you are following the ideas of one by one sets of pixels.

But one great trait that I see in your sprites are positioning. To an extent. You've got the sitting position great. That's a good trait to have while spriting. When I said to an extent, I specifically mean the belly of the Mudkip. Compare the three sprites, and notice it's positioning. In one sprite, it may appear too fat, or in another too thin. This sorta relates to the second point made.

Well i can see what you mean. Personally, i kinda dislike the 3rd sprite mostly due to its little inconsistenties and the proportions of the mudkip, so i plan to redo it. Also, i always thought mudkip as more of the chubby kind of a pokmon. Actually larztard mudkip does have paws, they are just less recognizable at times.

Q26iFol.png

C'mon mud, you can do better. I know this. You aren't really getting the anatomy down at all. Even my lineart here isn't fantastic, but maybe you can learn a little from it.

You know what i think the problem is? The freaking scaling. When it was small, it looked pretty good, but after the scaling fix, its problems became much more apparent and being the perfectionist i am, I am compelled to go back in, and fix EVERY little deatail.

I honestly don't see why you can't just post these pictures in the art/pics thread. Whereas other people have made personal spriting threads, they at least have the excuse of having a full-fledged gallery of different sprite work that they've worked on, and their sprites always give off a unique, most of the time completed, and appealing vibe. Not only do you not have any complete sprites or art to show off, the ones you're working on are all far from a high enough quality to be considered complete.

There's no way of telling the sprites apart from scenery or the usual light blue background sprites have, you don't pay attention to where parts of the body are located when you start on another sprite, the shading is shoddy at the very best, and there isn't really a style, it doesn't match the actual Mudkip pokemon, it doesn't match SRB2's artstyle, and it certainly doesn't give off a vibe of "Unique and stylistic".

Maybe you should wait until you have a good backlog of sprites that are at least complete to make a thread.

Also the wynaut pun shouldn't need to be explained.

Yeah... I Agree with ThunderNova on this one. I've made a few character threads and Mystic is really tired of me showing off one sprite characters when everyone else can do better than that, so I suggest you really put some time and quality into this... Or you could just come to srb2fun and get some help with someone on the chat; Which is the better suggested idea since working alone gets you NO WHERE.

@duon I disagree with that last statement. I've once said, "You are your own best friend". What I mean by this, is that the ideas and projects one does, are made solely for the purpose to satisfy the creator of the said project, and for the hell of it, others as well. People who share similar ideas tend to work together in advancing their work, but I wouldn't say the more people the better the work. Quality over quantity. Mudkip here has shown us sprites of his. Sure, they aren't professional, and he hasn't had much physical assistance on this, but this is is a project of his that will lead him to greater projects with better quality. Instead of looking at quantity, look at the sprites he currently has, and find ways how he can improve upon them. Once he gets the hang of it, quantity will come along with the improved quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back