This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Since this is re-useable content, I will be re-using it. It's a wonderful boss and I feel it would be a great addition to my addon.

Y'know, this could still kinda work. Metal Sonic's raceway could be an add-on to an actual act like how the current Bridge Collapse is, and I rather like this boss - seriously feels like it'd be a natural fit! A final-final act to show off what it's like inside the Black Rock would be neat, too, on paper anyways.

Only thing that irritated me here was the lava just consuming rings since it does that in 2.2 now. Other than being forced to 2-hit wonder mode (let's be honest, you're almost only getting hit by the barrier or by a homing rocket ganking you after a success), extremely enjoyable.

I really like this boss a ton and I think it actually does a lot to make the endgame feel properly intense/grueling (in a good way) like classic sonic games usually were.

With Sonic 2's endgame get the Laser Room Boss followed by Robo Sonic and Death Egg Robot, the latter 2 being no rings battles. That's 3 battles back to back with the latter two being very strict.

With Sonic 3's endgame you have the Cannon Ball Boss, the Egg Rocket, and the Big Arm. It's an intense boss gauntlet with a long cutscene in the middle designed to drain your Super Sonic energy, which can leave you with 0 rings on the last 2. (And Big Arm can attack Super Sonic himself) That's 3 pretty complex bosses in a row.

With Sonic & Knuckles you have 2 gauntlets. The Lava Reef Boss leads to Knuckles which leads to a three boss stage battle against Mecha Sonic. Sonic's Endgame ends up being a Gravity Boss, a two part Death Egg Robot fight, the chase with Eggman and the Emerald, and then finally Doomsday zone, which is a 2 part boss fight itself. Essentially 5 bosses for the penultimate rush, and 6 bosses for the endgame rush.

Mania's pretty easy in only throwing 2 in a row at you at the end. (Though you can cameo fight the four heavies, shoulda had a boss rush stage against real versions of them instead of that really bad second act...7 bosses in a row would have been a thrilling conclusion to Mania)

With SRB2 you'd have Egg Boiler, the Metal Sonic Race Stage (Which isn't actually a boss, because you can't interact with him and you just have essentially a time limit to be at the end of the space room by overall), and then 2 bosses after. That's 3 bosses and a gimmick stage (Though if you count the Disco room then it's an extra boss ontop of that!).

I feel like it's actually a really solid finale with that extra boss at the start (He's not too difficult and is extremely fun). Metal Sonic's issues aside (his tracking gets fussy and being able to fall over the side of the fence kinda sucks) it's a pretty strong finale that gets the blood pumping! I hope the team rethinks cutting this boss and works him back in (with additional polish) later on in the project!

As far as boss gauntlets goes, that's pretty alright and matches most of the classic boss gauntlets that punctuated the classic games. (It's also nice, in the current state of the game, to have an Eggman boss between Fang and Metal Sonic, balancewise)

Last edited:
Messing around with slade and zone builder and something i think works really well as an alternative is making this the boss of red volcano zone as an “act 2” so that it leads you into egg rock zone.

This actually works pretty well after trying it out on my own personal edit of the wad. The arena is about right for an interior of the rocket from rvz’s ending and the gravity flipping adds to the notion of being in a rocket flying through space.

The post boss segment is really good as an erz leadin as if the rocket just docks with the space station as you land the final hit and eggman flees into the dark hallway. What makes it work as a bridge are that you start erz1 with a dark hallway behind you and the music from the post boss scene continues into the stage, giving it a real solid zone transition feel.

It’s my favorite 2.2 boss and this was just an idea i tested and liked that addresses the “too many bosses in a row” notion that got the boss pruned initially. I’m probably going to use this tweeked order on my personal copy of the wad for now because I think it balances out really well.

Messing around with slade and zone builder and something i think works really well as an alternative is making this the boss of red volcano zone as an “act 2” so that it leads you into egg rock zone.
For the time being, I agree, but for the future (as in 2.3) this would not work. This is because Red Volcano Act 2 is currently being worked on, as referenced by this video's description: SRB2 OST - Red Volcano Zone 2
We haven't finished making this level yet, but soon Sonic and his friends will make their way through an infernal cavern...
Furthermore, Dark City Zone and Grand Eggship Zone will be added in between Red Volcano Zone and Egg Rock Zone in the future.
This boss would more likely be the boss of Grand Eggship, which to my knowledge is planed to be 1 act because it is the rocket at the end of Red Volcano.

Last edited:
Egg Rock always felt empty after the Metal Sonic fight got divided into two acts and moved to Black Eggman's place. This is a great boss and something I would love in a vanilla playthrough.

Adding this boss to the end of Egg Rock and a bonus Super Sonic boss (based on NiGHTS, of course) to the very end of the game would even out the level select screen perfectly.

Of course, prioritizing the level select screen over the actual pacing of the game is really dumb, but still.

I know this is a late af response to your post but I can't disagree that this game could really benefit from a Super Sonic endgame boss battle upon collecting the emeralds.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back